Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Is a UK driving permit valid ID for a domestic flight?

Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

Question from a friend who hasn't flown in years. Is a UK drivers permit considered a valid ID to fly domestically in the UK?

It would be Belfast to Aberdeen.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
Is a UK drivers permit considered a valid ID to fly domestically in the UK?
Worth checking with the airline operating the flight.

Ryanair says no.
BA says yes.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: SQ & QF
I have flown EasyJet in the past with a driving license.

I would check with the airline
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:29 am

The UK DfT does not specify which forms of ID are acceptable, but requires that individual airlines set and enforce a policy to verify ID of travelers. Hence, the policy can (and does) vary significantly between airlines.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Anyone know for Flybe? All I can find on their website is this...

All passengers using online check-in must present valid photographic identification or a valid passport for international routes which will be checked at the boarding gate. Any passenger without appropriate identification will be refused travel.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:21 am

AFAIK it's only Ryanair that insists on passports even for internal flights (and that's a recent change - they used to accept driving licences until about two years ago)

I remember seeing a list of acceptable photo ID documents on FlyBe's web site, and I recall it was quite long and included things like student cards and bus passes and almost definitely driving licences.

Of course we are talking about PHOTO driving licences here - not the old photo-less document that many of us still have.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:24 am

FlyBe - found it

The list is still there - here we go:

* A valid passport
* An expired passport (can be used on domestic flights for up to two years after expiry)
* Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
* Valid photographic driving licence
* Valid armed forces identity card
* Valid police warrant card/badge
* Valid airport employees security identity pass
* A child on parent’ s passport is an acceptable form of ID
* CitizenCard
* Valid photographic firearm certificate
* Valid Government-issued identity card
* SMART card
* Electoral identity card
* NUS cards photographic (National Union of Students)
* Photographic University/College ID card
* Company ID cards of Nationally recognised companies (photographic)
* Council issued bus pass (Senior Citizens only)
* Pension book (as only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
* Young Scot Card
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
AFAIK it's only Ryanair that insists on passports even for internal flights (and that's a recent change - they used to accept driving licences until about two years ago)

>>>>>.
And of course anyone having stood behind UK driving licence holders who expected the checkin staff to accept a non-photo driving licence as proof of id and wouldn't move away know why that was,
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by measures
And of course anyone having stood behind UK driving licence holders who expected the checkin staff to accept a non-photo driving licence as proof of id and wouldn't move away know why that was,
No, that wasn't the reason. They decided to stop accepting EVERYTHING except passports (and national identity cards in those countries that have them). Just like other airlines they used to have a list of acceptable documents (though theirs was always shorter than those of their competitors, and had some weird exceptions - like "photo driving licence accepted only if your place of birth is in the EU").

AFAIR they got rid of the whole list at the same time that they got rid of check-in desks.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
No, that wasn't the reason. They decided to stop accepting EVERYTHING except passports (and national identity cards in those countries that have them). Just like other airlines they used to have a list of acceptable documents (though theirs was always shorter than those of their competitors, and had some weird exceptions - like "photo driving licence accepted only if your place of birth is in the EU").

AFAIR they got rid of the whole list at the same time that they got rid of check-in desks.
I bow to your greater knowledge on this one^
When I wasn't in a hurry, I found it amusing to watch the performance with the non-photo driving licences on a friday evening in the days when stag groups regularly travelled to Dublin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.