Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

GLASGOW - Deep Fried Everything

Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles

Going to GLA in 3 months. I saw a TV Show once with Anthony Bourdain I think where he went to GLA and ate everything deep fried.. mars bars, pickled egg. etc. DOes anyone know of any such place in GLA? I've been to the local fish and chip place and they only have stuff like haggis (which is nice, but I prefer the non deep friend version better) scotch pies etc..
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The deep-fried thing is rather exaggerated, although I'm sure you can find it in a chippie somewhere. (In fact, the deep-fried mars bar was invented in Stonehaven, on the other side of the country, in 1995...) ISTR reading that about 1 in 5 chippies in Scotland do such delicacies - but I'll leave others to recommend a specific example. I do know a couple in Ayrshire, but that's probably not much help!

However, while you're in Glasgow, why not go for a munchy box?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut

However, while you're in Glasgow, why not go for a munchy box?
that looks so wrong....I'm definitely going to get one...Mmm... too bad they dont have gravy on those chips...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:00 pm

Most chippies do it - but it's mainly the tourists who ask for them.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only chip shop I know of who did the deep fried Mars Bar was along at the at the Saltmarket on the Gallowgate just underneath the railway bridge on your way to the Barras.
I have never had one and know of only one person who has.....my law student niece who said it was actually quite nice.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:14 am

I live in Edinburgh but the only place I've had a deep fried Mars Bar was in the Annapurna Sanctuary
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
Don't go in for all the tourist nonsense. Eat healthily like the locals and enjoy a pizza crunch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_pizza
or a stonner
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky...00806413184397
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:16 am

I'm pretty sure Buon Appetito, my old local chippy in Clarkston (southern suburbs of Glasgow), used to do it -- for sure they had a full selection of candy/chocolate bars available and I think I remember seeing it officially offered on the menu.

But I haven't been back in nine years and even my parents don't live there any more...
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:39 pm

I've just read the leaflet from my local Aldi - they are selling deep fried Black Pudding & Deep Fried Haggis
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
I've just read the leaflet from my local Aldi - they are selling deep fried Black Pudding & Deep Fried Haggis
I'm going to EDI as well.. where is this place? I went to a chip shop on the Royal Mile the last time I was there. They had deep fried haggis, scotch pie.. etc.. That was back in 06. Also do you know any good cheap guesthouses? I stayed in one for 18quid back in 06. No longer exists
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
that looks so wrong....I'm definitely going to get one...Mmm... too bad they dont have gravy on those chips...
They aren't chips, that's a portion of Glasgow Salad.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
There is a rather good chippie at the start of Broughton Street in Edinburgh that do deep fried most thing. I have had deep fried haggis, burger and even a cheeseburger. The deep fried Mars bar is served with a scoop of ice-cream.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I'll second that Edinburgh offer - it's actually a good chippie, which also does required touristy things.

(It should be noted that my memories of the chips are through a drunken haze)
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Don't forget to wash it all down with a nice Inr-Bru
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
I'm going to EDI as well.. where is this place?
It's a supermarket chain

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.