Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long can I stay in England?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Smile How long can I stay in England?

I visited my friend in the UK over Christmas 2009 for a month.
I would like to go back and stay as long as possible without getting a VISA.
I have looked online and it seems I can stay up to 6 months within a 12 month period. Does that mean I could stay for 5 months if I go this fall? And then would I be able to come again right away for another 6 month stint into the next 12 month cycle? Or could I come back every couple months for a 2 month visit at a time? I'm a bit confused about how that works.
If anyone knows, that would really help.

I am a self-employed illustrator. I'm not looking to find a job over there.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:20 pm

There isn't any "6 months in 12 months" rule. Each time you enter the UK (Note NOT England) it will be decided how long you will be allowed in the UK. This can be from zero to 6 months.

You will however have to prove that you can fund yourself for the full period without working and that you are going to return home at the enter of your entry period.

Multiple entries in a short period tend not to be looked upon favourably and the more you do it the more likely you are to be refused entry
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
What country is your passport from?

If you have a passport that is from an EU country i would enter on that. That way if you can pass the border as many times as you wish and for how ever long you like. You will have no restrictions.

This are the EU member states: http://europa.eu/abc/european_countr...s/index_en.htm

If you dont you will have to go the long way round. Here is the website to go: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Three things that jump out at me: Visiting a friend, self-employed, staying for five months. Is your friend the opposite sex? Because that will count against you. As alanR said you will need to show you can fund yourself for the entire length of your stay.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
The answer can vary greatly depending on the country on whose passport you are traveling.

It sounds as though your intent is to enter the UK as a tourist, as you mention that you're not looking for work.

Immigration officials will look for proof of your ability to support yourself whilst here (so that you won't need to work - which could only be illegally if you lack the necessary work visa, residence permit, entry clearance and/or citizenship) and thus you will need to prove this. If there are any extenuating circumstances which might make it look like you are *not* likely to leave in your alloted time and either overstay your visa or work illegally (e.g., a significant other in the UK, no onward ticket booked, insufficient funds, no firm job to go back to), you might indeed be refused entry.

As others have mentioned above, there is no "six-month-in-twelve" rule for the UK. Most tourists are admitted with leave to remain for six months at one time, but the border control officer has the ability to limit this to far less time - I have heard of fifteen days, one month, two months and four months.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I did misunderstand how long I thought I would be entitled to stay.
I have a US passport. My friend is of the opposite sex, but I have been visiting him for the last 20 years on shorter stays.
Do I need to bring financial statements with me for border control?
I have a website which shows what I do- perhaps that would help.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by rubytwoshoes
Thanks for the comments. I did misunderstand how long I thought I would be entitled to stay.
I have a US passport. My friend is of the opposite sex, but I have been visiting him for the last 20 years on shorter stays.
Do I need to bring financial statements with me for border control?
I have a website which shows what I do- perhaps that would help.
I wouldn't worry about it too too much. You'll probably be just fine.

I would bring as much documentation as reasonably possible just in case you get asked for it. Proof of funds could never hurt, nor can proof of employment elsewhere.

Since you're planning to be in the UK for six months, I would also not volunteer any extra information unless asked (actually this is always a good habit to get into when crossing any border). For example, do not volunteer that you are planning to spend six months in the country (I assume you'll be in one place, not traveling around as a tourist which frankly doesn't look very good) unless specifically asked if you have proof of onward travel.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ajax
Since you're planning to be in the UK for six months, I would also not volunteer any extra information unless asked (actually this is always a good habit to get into when crossing any border).
^ Sage advice. If they don't ask, don't tell.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rubytwoshoes
Do I need to bring financial statements with me for border control? I have a website which shows what I do- perhaps that would help.
Here is a list of suggested documentation straight from the horse's mouth (the UK Border Agency website): Documents

Bring whatever you can but don't worry about it unduly
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I'd definitely agree with the don't ask/don't tell approach, however typically I believe that Immigration will ask a non-EU citizen how long they intend to stay in the UK. At this stage you have to consider whether you want to be truthful or not. If you say 5/6 months this could warrant further questions about what you are doing in the UK for that amount of time - in which case having proof of financial means is probably useful. Also, make sure that you and your friend have your stories aligned as they may choose to call him to assess you entry eligibility.

Last edited by Captain Schmidt; Sep 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm Reason: Suggested alternative was on reflection inappropriate
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Having had to withstand more than a fair share of interrogations going into the US, I would counsel to only answer questions (don't volunteer info), but answer all questions truthfully. E.g. if you have a return flight for 5 months' time, don't say you are planning on staying a couple of weeks. If they go on to ask a question, and it comes out that you were less than truthful, it might result in refusal to enter and a permanent bar to visa waiver.

My experience (admittedly in opposite direction) has been that if one is truthful, it might take a little while (on occasion), but usually you get in fine.

The alternative is that if you are staying with a SO, who will, actually be supporting you financially, to apply for a UK visa, have an invite letter from your friend, with appropriate financial documentation, stating he will support you, and you will not revert to public funds etc and then come with with visa in hand. On those occasions, longer trips are much less likely to arouse suspicion.

tb
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Alternatively you may want to go with the "three weeks holiday" approach which 99% of the time will result in a stamp in your passport allowing you to stay for 180 days.
Or might result in "let's see your return ticket - oh, it says 6 months time, please come with me..."
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
Or might result in "let's see your return ticket - oh, it says 6 months time, please come with me..."
FWIW, passengers who book tickets with return dates between 5.5 to 6 months ahead have an almost 90% rate of not using their return tickets as originally scheduled. It is the biggest red flag for UKBA and almost always leads to a secondary inspection, regardless of citizenship.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
The alternative is that if you are staying with a SO, who will, actually be supporting you financially, to apply for a UK visa, have an invite letter from your friend, with appropriate financial documentation, stating he will support you, and you will not revert to public funds etc and then come with with visa in hand. On those occasions, longer trips are much less likely to arouse suspicion.

tb
What visa are you exactly suggesting? I don't believe that the OP as a US citizen has a suitable visa option open to them.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
Yes, true that might not be the best approach either....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.