Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR <--> LGW connection, MCT, transport, etc. (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LHR <--> LGW Connections Thread
London Heathrow and Gatwick Airports Connection, Transport, Minimum Connect Time, etc.
++++
Edit
This thread & wiki has in some ways been superseded by a new thread (started 28 Dec 2015)
Link-->Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide
Costs in this wiki-thread will not be current
++++
MCT: British Airways requires a 3 hour minimum connect time (MCT) for LHR<--> connections; some others have a 3:30 MCT. Most would probably recommend four hours minimum if you are arriving from an international flight, and of course, you must retrieve your baggage and take it to the other airport.

If you are booked through on one airline and one ticket, if you mid connect the airline has an obligation to accommodate you on the next flight with availability. For separate tickets on different airlines, the second airline may have no legal obligation to do so.

The fastest and most expensive way is to use a Black Taxi (formal taxi), private hire driver, licensed mini-cab. Most direct and reasonably priced is the National Express coach (bus).

NOTE: If you are traveling Monday morning, Friday or Sunday afternoon or evening, add another full hour for these connections due to traffic congestion.

National Express Coach / Bus

The easiest way to connect is using National Express coach (bus) service. Minimum drive time is 1:15, assuming traffic on the M25 isn't troublesome.

One way is £20, return €40. Runs around the clock, as often as five times hourly. For £5 you can add Flexible Add-On, allowing free ticket change within 12 hours before or after your scheduled time, 24 hour free cancellation, or amend your travel date.

You are allowed two 20 kg / 44 lb bags (airlines will not transfer baggage between Heathrow and Gatwick airports).

Route:
  • Gatwick South
  • Gatwick North
  • Heathrow Terminal 5
  • Heathrow Terminal 4
  • Heathrow Bus Station (Terminals 2 & 3)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/airpo...ick-coach.aspx
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rail, Rail & Coach (bus)

There is no direct rail option between LHR and LGW. There are "tube" (underground) to rail, rail and rail connected by tube, bus and rail combinations. These will take longer than National Express coaches, will require connections that may require stairs, changing platforms and walking.

Perhaps most convenient:

1. Take the Tube to Hammersmith station
Change to a District line train to Victoria (Should take 50 minutes or so)
£4.50 if paid in cash, £2.40 if you have an Oyster card

2. onward via Southern train from Victoria to Gatwick Airport (Should take 30 minutes)
£11.90 on the day itself , (but if you book in advance and take a booked train, you can get this down to £5) (seanyjmuc)

Cheap: Tube / London Underground (Travel Zone 6) has several stations at Heathrow, serving the Picadilly Line: LHR T-2 and T-3 are served by a station accessible by walking a pedestrian subway; T-4 and T-5 have lower level Tube Stations. From LHR take the Tube to Victoria station or London Bridge station, then either Southern Railway (from Victoria) or First Capital Connect (from London Bridge) to Gatwick. (Or reverse.)

Be aware of occasional stoppages or station closures. Check ticket prices and book at www.nationalrail.co.uk - Single "Advance" fares from London to Gatwick are around £5. (Reason077)

Cheaper: X26 Terminal 2-3 bus stop to East Croydon, train to LGW (or reverse). (alanR)

Tube to Olympia or West Brompton, then train to Clapham Junction and on to LGW. Not going into zone 1 (Earls Court is a both zone 1 and 2) will reduce tube travel cost. Seems the direct trains are gone so a change is required at Clapham Junction. (YVR Cockroach)

OR better still, change at East Croydon (if you get the hourly direct Milton Keynes-EC train) where there are ramps for those with luggage. Changing at Clapham is horrible as it will involve two sets of steep steps, a narrrow subway or footbridge and many grumpy commuters. (Swanhunter)

Cheapest: Bus 285 from Terminal 2-3 Bay 20 to Feltham, connect at Clapham Junction (2 trains). (mickeypops & RichardInSF)

London Taxi ("Black Cab")

At LHR there are taxi ranks for Black Taxis, which are spacious and accept passengers with disabilities including wheel chairs and a goodly quantity of baggage. AtvLGW, which is not in London, there are no Black Taxis; check at Information desks about securing a taxi.

In both instances, plan on paying £100 or more for a transfer; minimum transfer times are 45 minutes.

Tariffs: There are three tariff times, each progressively costlier
  • Tariff 1: Monday to Friday 06:00 - 20:00
  • Tariff 2: Monday to Friday 20:00 - 22:00
  • Tariff 3: Saturday and Sunday 06:00 - 22:00 and Every night 22:00 - 06:00 and public holidays

Extra charges: All extra charges must be revealed at start of trip
  • £2.40 minimum charge
  • £2.00 telephone or online booking charge
  • £2.80 mandatory charge starting at LHR taxi rank
  • £4.00 holiday charge 20:00 on 24 - 06:00 on 27 Dec, 20:00 31 and 06:00 on 2 Jan.
  • For credit or bank cards, charge of the higher of £1.00 or 10% of the metered fare
Minivans, Private Hire, Limos and etc. will generally not accept credit or bank cards and will require cash in UK £ / GBP only.
Print Wikipost

LHR <--> LGW connection, MCT, transport, etc. (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
As per the TFL Cash Free Buses page, single paper bus tickets no longer exist

Could you lend your friend your Oyster card? Or get your friend to get an Oyster card, which they then give to you after their trip?

Getting an Oyster card requires a £5 deposit. Technically I think if they topped up 1p onto that, they could then do a single bus journey, as you can take your card up to a fiver into the red to get you home, but topping up a bit more might be safer.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
As per the TFL Cash Free Buses page, single paper bus tickets no longer exist

Could you lend your friend your Oyster card? Or get your friend to get an Oyster card, which they then give to you after their trip?
I don't have an Oyster card either. I live in Canada. :-) My travelling friend lives in Italy.

I had an Oyster card a few years ago. I noticed massive drops in my balance, but my complaints were ignored. No answers. Only when I complained to some parliamentary oversight body was my balance corrected.

I am not impressed with the Oyster card customer service, and I don't have one any longer.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:40 am

"Does he really have to buy a One Day Bus & Tram Pass for GBP 5?"
If he doesn't have an Oyster card or contactless bank card then the answer is yes.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Getting an Oyster card requires a £5 deposit. Technically I think if they topped up 1p onto that, they could then do a single bus journey, as you can take your card up to a fiver into the red to get you home, but topping up a bit more might be safer.
You can't top up 1p onto an Oyster. Minimum topup at Heathrow is 10p at the ticket machine, assuming you have an Oyster already. I don't think the ticket office will sell one to you without also topping up £5.

You can top up 5p at a National Rail machine. The only way to get balances ending in numbers other than 5 or 0 is to take a riverboat whilst having a travelcard, or have inaccurate rounding applied at extreme negative balances. (I had an Oyster at -£5.50, but it became -£5.49 when I next checked the balance)

If you do have an Oyster/contactless card, the absolute cheapest scheduled way from LHR-LGW is X26 to West Croydon, 405 to Redhill and then 100 (not a TfL bus) to Gatwick, for £5.60 total.

Otherwise look into the Easybus from West Brompton, I once paid £2 for this plus £1 (railcard fare) from Heathrow to West Brompton for a total of £3.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:31 am

Easybus.... Shudder.
Over on Tripadvisor there are multiple horror stories about service failures with them....
Also, if you don't have Oyster or contactless, then the cash tube fare to West Brompton is £6, so the economics go against this.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Cheapest in terms of not faffing around trying to save a few pounds would be National Express where it is £25 one way.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:47 am

LGW -> LHR transfer in 3 hours Do I have a chance?

I stupidly booked a ticket without noticing the airport change. I've read that 3 hours is the minimum possible time and I think I have 3:10. I will only have carry-on luggage and have decided a private, pre-booked car is the fastest transfer method. This will be on a Sunday at midday so not peak travel time. LGW North to LHR Terminal 5.

Also, I am a non-EU citizen so I heard the lines will be longer at immigration.

I guess my question is what will happen if I miss my LHR flight (BA to Atlanta)? I booked this tix through Opodo so BA has no responsibility (i guess?)

Will they put me on a flight the next day?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk… since airport questions are generally addressed in the destination forums, i think you will get some helpful feedback here in the dedicated UK forum.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...n-sou-mse.html

My guess is if you miss your flight it will be your problem
Are both flights BA?
Are they on the same PNR/tickets
Passport from which country?

Far better too book direct with the airline
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The way I read this is that you booked all on one ticket

As such, you'll be looked after by BA if you misconnect, but barring any problems on the motorway you should be fine.

1hr to get through immigration, 45mins in the car, still at LHR with 40 minutes to spare - note you need to be past the BP check at security more than 35minutes before the departure time.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Cheapest in terms of not faffing around trying to save a few pounds would be National Express where it is £25 one way.
Is this the price if you just walk up and buy a ticket for the next bus? Do they accept credit cards there? I was not able to glean that from the National Express website. TNX

(If you book online, they charge a £1 booking fee. Plus you have to pick a specific itinerary right away (tricky with possible flight delays) or pay another £5 for the flexible option.)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by sokolov
Is this the price if you just walk up and buy a ticket for the next bus? Do they accept credit cards there? I was not able to glean that from the National Express website. TNX

(If you book online, they charge a £1 booking fee. Plus you have to pick a specific itinerary right away (tricky with possible flight delays) or pay another £5 for the flexible option.)
Although the booking fee is only £1 it drives me nuts that people have the front to charge it. Anyway, I have never used their ticket office but I don't think you will have a problem with the credit card. As for the price, I guess they can change it if they want to but the prices I have seen quoted are always £25. But I haven't looked exhaustively.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:15 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If it's anything like NatEx at Luton Airport (my only glamorous experience with their airport service), there'll be a desk and a bunch of vending machines that accept credit cards.

The only risk is of that particular coach being full. Don't think it's a particularly high risk, but.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by pandabearjohnson
I booked this tix through Opodo so BA has no responsibility (i guess?)
Doesn't matter where you booked, if it is a single ticket with 2 segments then BA will have responsibility; the fact that they are willing to sell a ticket with a connection time of 3 hours means they anticipate most people will be able to make it
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Doesn't matter where you booked, if it is a single ticket with 2 segments then BA will have responsibility; the fact that they are willing to sell a ticket with a connection time of 3 hours means they anticipate most people will be able to make it
And as such, there's no need to book a private car - transferring from LGW to LHR using the frequent National Express coach service would suffice, and would also be less costly for a solo traveller (though at £25 for a single fare it's not cheap either!).

At Gatwick's North terminal, the coaches leave from the plaza directly outside the arrivals hall, and there's a National Express ticket office and waiting room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.