Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR <--> LGW connection, MCT, transport, etc. (merged threads)

Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LHR <--> LGW Connections Thread
London Heathrow and Gatwick Airports Connection, Transport, Minimum Connect Time, etc.
++++
Edit
This thread & wiki has in some ways been superseded by a new thread (started 28 Dec 2015)
Link-->Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide
Costs in this wiki-thread will not be current
++++
MCT: British Airways requires a 3 hour minimum connect time (MCT) for LHR<--> connections; some others have a 3:30 MCT. Most would probably recommend four hours minimum if you are arriving from an international flight, and of course, you must retrieve your baggage and take it to the other airport.

If you are booked through on one airline and one ticket, if you mid connect the airline has an obligation to accommodate you on the next flight with availability. For separate tickets on different airlines, the second airline may have no legal obligation to do so.

The fastest and most expensive way is to use a Black Taxi (formal taxi), private hire driver, licensed mini-cab. Most direct and reasonably priced is the National Express coach (bus).

NOTE: If you are traveling Monday morning, Friday or Sunday afternoon or evening, add another full hour for these connections due to traffic congestion.

National Express Coach / Bus

The easiest way to connect is using National Express coach (bus) service. Minimum drive time is 1:15, assuming traffic on the M25 isn't troublesome.

One way is Ł20, return €40. Runs around the clock, as often as five times hourly. For Ł5 you can add Flexible Add-On, allowing free ticket change within 12 hours before or after your scheduled time, 24 hour free cancellation, or amend your travel date.

You are allowed two 20 kg / 44 lb bags (airlines will not transfer baggage between Heathrow and Gatwick airports).

Route:
  • Gatwick South
  • Gatwick North
  • Heathrow Terminal 5
  • Heathrow Terminal 4
  • Heathrow Bus Station (Terminals 2 & 3)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/airpo...ick-coach.aspx
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rail, Rail & Coach (bus)

There is no direct rail option between LHR and LGW. There are "tube" (underground) to rail, rail and rail connected by tube, bus and rail combinations. These will take longer than National Express coaches, will require connections that may require stairs, changing platforms and walking.

Perhaps most convenient:

1. Take the Tube to Hammersmith station
Change to a District line train to Victoria (Should take 50 minutes or so)
Ł4.50 if paid in cash, Ł2.40 if you have an Oyster card

2. onward via Southern train from Victoria to Gatwick Airport (Should take 30 minutes)
Ł11.90 on the day itself , (but if you book in advance and take a booked train, you can get this down to Ł5) (seanyjmuc)

Cheap: Tube / London Underground (Travel Zone 6) has several stations at Heathrow, serving the Picadilly Line: LHR T-2 and T-3 are served by a station accessible by walking a pedestrian subway; T-4 and T-5 have lower level Tube Stations. From LHR take the Tube to Victoria station or London Bridge station, then either Southern Railway (from Victoria) or First Capital Connect (from London Bridge) to Gatwick. (Or reverse.)

Be aware of occasional stoppages or station closures. Check ticket prices and book at www.nationalrail.co.uk - Single "Advance" fares from London to Gatwick are around Ł5. (Reason077)

Cheaper: X26 Terminal 2-3 bus stop to East Croydon, train to LGW (or reverse). (alanR)

Tube to Olympia or West Brompton, then train to Clapham Junction and on to LGW. Not going into zone 1 (Earls Court is a both zone 1 and 2) will reduce tube travel cost. Seems the direct trains are gone so a change is required at Clapham Junction. (YVR Cockroach)

OR better still, change at East Croydon (if you get the hourly direct Milton Keynes-EC train) where there are ramps for those with luggage. Changing at Clapham is horrible as it will involve two sets of steep steps, a narrrow subway or footbridge and many grumpy commuters. (Swanhunter)

Cheapest: Bus 285 from Terminal 2-3 Bay 20 to Feltham, connect at Clapham Junction (2 trains). (mickeypops & RichardInSF)

London Taxi ("Black Cab")

At LHR there are taxi ranks for Black Taxis, which are spacious and accept passengers with disabilities including wheel chairs and a goodly quantity of baggage. AtvLGW, which is not in London, there are no Black Taxis; check at Information desks about securing a taxi.

In both instances, plan on paying Ł100 or more for a transfer; minimum transfer times are 45 minutes.

Tariffs: There are three tariff times, each progressively costlier
  • Tariff 1: Monday to Friday 06:00 - 20:00
  • Tariff 2: Monday to Friday 20:00 - 22:00
  • Tariff 3: Saturday and Sunday 06:00 - 22:00 and Every night 22:00 - 06:00 and public holidays

Extra charges: All extra charges must be revealed at start of trip
  • Ł2.40 minimum charge
  • Ł2.00 telephone or online booking charge
  • Ł2.80 mandatory charge starting at LHR taxi rank
  • Ł4.00 holiday charge 20:00 on 24 - 06:00 on 27 Dec, 20:00 31 and 06:00 on 2 Jan.
  • For credit or bank cards, charge of the higher of Ł1.00 or 10% of the metered fare
Minivans, Private Hire, Limos and etc. will generally not accept credit or bank cards and will require cash in UK Ł / GBP only.
Print Wikipost

LHR <--> LGW connection, MCT, transport, etc. (merged threads)

Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:12 am

UAPremExecflyer - Mrs Flynner13 the guilty party here!!!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Just looked up the MCTs again and in fact it is a valid connection.
[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.7/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: LHR]
Code:
                                         ** EXCEPTIONS EXIST ** 
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         LHR                          020 060 060 060  

TERMINAL:         LHR  TN TO  1                090 090 090 090  
                       TN TO  3                090 090 090 090  
                       TN TO  4                090 090 090 090  
                       1  TO  TN               090 090 090 090  
                       1  TO  1                060 060 060 060  
                       1  TO  3                075 075 075 075  
                       1  TO  4                090 090 090 090  
                       1  TO  5                090 090 090 090  
                       3  TO  TN               090 090 090 090  
                       3  TO  1                075 075 075 075  
                       3  TO  3                070 070 070 070  
                       3  TO  4                090 090 090 090  
                       3  TO  5                090 090 090 090  
                       4  TO  TN               090 090 090 090  
                       4  TO  1                090 090 090 090  
                       4  TO  3                090 090 090 090  
                       4  TO  4                060 060 060 060  
                       4  TO  5                105 105 105 105  
                       5  TO  1                090 090 090 090  
                       5  TO  3                090 090 090 090  
                       5  TO  4                105 105 105 105  
                       5  TO  5                060 060 060 060  
INTER-AIRPORT:    LCY  TO  LHR                 180 180 180 180  
                  LGW  TO  LHR                 150 150 150 150  
                  LHR  TO  LCY                 210 210 210 210  
                  LHR  TO  LGW                 150 150 150 150  
                  LHR  TO  LTN                 205 205 205 20
                  LHR  TO  QQS                 --- --- --- 240  
                  LHR  TO  STN                 200 200 200 200  
                  LHR  TO  XQE                 --- --- --- 240  
                  LTN  TO  LHR                 205 205 205 205  
                  QQS  TO  LHR                 --- --- --- 240  
                  STN  TO  LHR                 200 200 200 200  
                  XQE  TO  LHR                 --- --- --- 240  
**END OF DISPLAY**
However, is it booked on a single PNR? If so, then EI needs to rebook you if you misconnect. If not, then I suggest you do what stut suggests.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:27 am

I wonder where Expedia get their information from... I noticed that about.com says MCT is 2:30 hours, but that's hardly an authoritative source! Sadly Gatwick's web site seems to have no information on the subject whatsoever, whereas Heathrow's web site says that it depends on the airline and route.

Could you get written confirmation from EI to say that they don't consider this a valid connection? (You may already have it, if you communicated by email).

You may have no option but to risk it... and claim any extra costs from Expedia if you miss the connection.

Last edited by Aviatrix; Oct 28, 2012 at 2:07 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:49 pm

Thanks everyone

It seems to boil down to

Virgin advise a minimum connection of 3.5 hours when booking with them but even though the first flight is on them its not their booking they cant touch it

Aer Lingus advise a minimum connection of 3 hours when booking with them but even though the second flight is on them its not their booking they cant touch it

BA - who should know London airports better than most say a minimum connection of 3 hours

Expedia say its fine and as such they wont change it to anything later. Their system says its a valid connection even though those of us that travel a lot through Heathrow and around London know its a near cert that it cant be done ......

Not happy even allowing for the buyer did buy it and accepted the T&C's. The buyer though isnt a FF and didn't realise how hard this would be.

I will email them again and see if common sense can prevail ......

Thanks again for all your advice - Really helps!

Flynner13
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The official industry sources do say 2˝ hours, though.

Before you email, you really need to figure out whether the booking is a single itinerary or two separate ones.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. MCT is not a notional concept of what we think is doable, it's an established metric below which a booking is "illegal." It represents the risk a carrier(s) is willing to take of misconnect and reaccomodation. BA and any other carrier could have different MCT's for the same airport.

2. If this is booked on one e-ticket/PNR, it will be for EI, as the receiving carrier on "day of" to acommodate OP on its next available flight and to sort things out with EK.

3. If this is booked on 2 e-tickets/PNRs (even thought he print out is one piece of paper), it is two entirely separate journeys and the EI segment will cancel if OP fails to make it. He will be at EI's mercy and may need to buy a new ticket or pay a change fee. If the PNR continues from DUB, OP will also need to make certain that the onward journey (return) isn't cancelled when he misses the outbound. So far as EI is concerned, OP is simply a pax originating at LON and didn't make it to the airport.

OP doesn't need a lecture here, but it's worth a reminder that one should never book through third-party sites unless they are offering substantial savings and you have done all of the research. When you book through a carrier, the situation is well-defined. When you book through a third-party, EK, EI & Expedia will all finger point and you are stuck at the gate some place.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
The official industry sources do say 2˝ hours, though.
Have you got a link to these official sources? I couldn't find any official sources earlier...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Have you got a link to these official sources? I couldn't find any official sources earlier...
Every carrier sets its own MCT. Some don't publish them, they just don't sell below them.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do not appear on any publicly-available site of which I am aware. I copy-pasted an extract in post #11 from the subscription-based service which I have paid for.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:24 pm

They do not appear on any publicly-available site of which I am aware. I copy-pasted an extract in post #11 from the subscription-based service which I have paid for.
Is this an official source, though?

Going by the domain name registration details (aka Whois) it doesn't look very official to me, I'm afraid.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going by the domain name registration details (aka Whois) it doesn't look very official to me, I'm afraid.
KVS does not compile this by hand but pulls the data from sources that ultimately link back to GDSs,

Perhaps he will show up at some point in this thread in a while to clarify what the (ultimate) source is.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:07 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

ExpertFlyer.com is a website that shows MCT and MPM information to the public. ExpertFlyer's information is retrieved in real time and licensed directly from the airline reservation (GDS) systems. This covers both standard and exception MCT information. Our 5-day trial might be helpful in this case.

Last edited by ExpertFlyer Voice; Oct 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:58 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by NickB
KVS does not compile this by hand but pulls the data from sources that ultimately link back to GDSs,

Perhaps he will show up at some point in this thread in a while to clarify what the (ultimate) source is.
The MCT source is a major GDS, so the data is real-time and as 'official' as it can possibly be.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:01 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Often1
Every carrier sets its own MCT. Some don't publish them, they just don't sell below them.
There is no such thing as an 'unpublished' MCT -- the airline either uses the Standard MCT (for a given airport) or publishes Exception(s) to override it. Both types of MCTs are accessible via the KVS Tool.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by alanR
The cheapest known way is to take the X26 bus from LHR to East Croydon, then train to Gatwick
Is that still the way to do it if you have time to kill?

I understand the train costs GBP 4.50. But what about the X26 bus?

A friend of mine will be travelling, once. He is just passing through and does not have an Oyster or contactless payment card. Buses have gone cashless - well, he won't have British cash anyway. He wants to use his credit card to buy a single paper ticket at the Heathrow bus terminal for the X26.

Does he really have to buy a One Day Bus & Tram Pass for GBP 5?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.