Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

who is has the best business class ord to lhr?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Heading to London next month and have to pay for ticket with my own money- out of touch with the current state of seat wars- who is the best value business class from ORD?
thxs
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

VS ( upper class) -seasonal service to ORD over the summer and BA ( Club World) are both very good business class products. ( ie fully flat beds)They do have ex-UK sales on currently but not sure about ex US and advance purchase requriements ( ex UK it is a 42 day adv purchase and have to stay a Saturday night )

I am slightly biased towards VS as they have a wonderful LHR CLUbhouse ( jacuzzi, steam room, hairdresser ) and great food in the lounge prior to the flight ) others like the BA seat as it is better for relaxing ( VS does not recline as much but IMHO is a better bed than BA)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi TBS
Thank you for the responce.
Question concerning VS upper class, is that business or first class?
The qoute for fare is over 10k- that more in line with a first class ticket and over my price range. The BA is 4k.
Can you help me understand better.

Cheers,

DA
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virgin does not have a first class service, only business. And they do not permit two carryons (although enforcement of this rule varies), unlike almost every other carrier.

United has three daily flights between ORD and LHR, all are new configuration 767's, which have fully flat bed seats in business as well as decent on-demand in-flight entertainment. Service is, well, United style, which means variable with a tendency to be average or below.

You may find the most cost effective business ticket is a one stop service: Air Canada via Toronto.

If you are not able to buy sufficiently far in advance to get discounted business class directly from the airline, consider going through a consolidator.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Virgin Upper class is Business class ( but very good business class) BA might have a sale on or the Virgin cheap business fare is no longer available ( or you are within the advanced purchasing period ie 42 days required for the cheaper fare) as normally VS/BA are closely matched ( VS only has 1 flight a day compared to BA 's 2 or 3

As RichardInSF said you may want to go to a consolidator.

If you want to connect in Europe to get to LHR then you may get a better price with Swiss , Lufthansa, SAS

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dingbatcat
...Question concerning VS upper class, is that business or first class?
The qoute for fare is over 10k- that more in line with a first class ticket and over my price range. The BA is 4k...
Labels are for marketing. One airline's X is another airline's Y. As a practical matter, Virgin's Upper Class is positioned somewhere between most other airlines' business and F offerings. It's labeled "business class" mostly to make it OK under travel policies that pay for business class travel on long trips.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
Labels are for marketing. One airline's X is another airline's Y. As a practical matter, Virgin's Upper Class is positioned somewhere between most other airlines' business and F offerings. It's labeled "business class" mostly to make it OK under travel policies that pay for business class travel on long trips.
Have you flown this service lately? What you said may have been true initially, but not now. Except for having food service in the lounge pre-flight, I don't think it's above standard flat-bed business class on other carriers at all. And forcing me to check a carryon that every other carrier to and from the UK allows more than nullified having food in the lounge.

Of course, opinions can (and do) differ!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Efrem
Which airlines would that be then?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Have you flown this service lately? What you said may have been true initially, but not now. Except for having food service in the lounge pre-flight, I don't think it's above standard flat-bed business class on other carriers at all. And forcing me to check a carryon that every other carrier to and from the UK allows more than nullified having food in the lounge.

Of course, opinions can (and do) differ!
Others might differ, but I'd agree with you. Aside from the private car thing (qualifying fares only) and LHR Clubhouse, VS UC is no more than a mid-ranking C class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.