Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh restaurant reviews

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by wizzy
My wife and I, and our 4yo son, will be visiting in late August. I've heard that there are rules about children in pubs. Any suggestions on places that we should go/avoid? We'll be staying at the Sheraton for two nights.
When I was in town this week, we also had dinner at the Doric which styles itself as a "gastro-pub" (though I'm not so sure). In booking the table, we were asked to confirm that no-one in the party was under 18. If they had been, then we would have had to vacate by 9pm.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Nice review for Castle Terrace!
Old May 18, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA gold
Just come across this for the first time and have bookmarked it as I will be going to Edinburgh fairly regularly now, with a view to moving there later in the year!

An excellent resource Jenbel ^
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Mark Greenaway at Piccardy Place

Finally made it to Mark Greenaway - mentioned up thread, I'd been holding off from going because of his appearance on Great British Menu. A post Festival dinner with a friend meant that even on a Friday night, the restaurant was quiet, as Edinburgh recovers from a month long party.

Mark Greenaway is a discrete restaurant (so discrete my friend couldn't find the entrance), obviously aiming for a star - staff are well trained, attentive and knowledgeable, but with that genuine warmth about them. Decor is understated, and possibly a little bit grey for my taste, but they've made good use of a Georgian town house.

But the menu was lovely. Prices weren't too outré for Edinburgh, with mains between Ł11 and Ł28 (for 45 day aged fillet). A very nice range of local ingredients, combined with foraged items and unusual combinations. I too started with the crab cannelloni - it was an activity course, involving a bowl filled with smoke. And it was divine. The crab was fresh and light, the lemon pearls tangy. Brown meat cleverly used hit a deeper note - highlight for me though was the smoked cauliflower custard, and I hate cauliflower! Smokey, smooth... it did overpower the delicate crab a little but but the flavours were great. The rabbit terrine on the other side of the table went down so fast I barely registered it... I'm guessing it was ok!

For mains, I'd gone for pan-roasted hake with a lobster tortellini, purple mas mash, fennel and dill sauce and other stuff. The plates are beautifully presented , with a great deal of care and attention going into the placement of each piece. The cooking matches it - my hake was soft and tender and moist. I don't like fish skin - even crisped, yet I was lulled into trying this and managed to eat a fair amount before it just got too fishy for me. The purple mash was one of the most potatoey tasting mashes I've ever had. So much good about that dish. The pork belly across the table looked so pretty when it arrived... and we'd ordered, on the waiter's recommendation, a side of peas and bacon in cream. Very, very yum. But very rich, so we were we split between two.

Alongside this we had a dry German riesling, chosen with help of the very helpful sommelier. Was a lovely fresh green riesling, but with a lot of depth of flavour which stood up well to the choices - it even stood up well to dessert!

Dessert required some negotiation, because both of us wanted the broken lemon tart, but obviously, we couldn't chose the same thing, so I wandered over to the exploration of all things banoffee. My companion hadn't expected such a formal presentation of something entitled broken lemon tart - again everything was so precise and clean. It wasn't deconstructed - but the highlight was the yuzu parfait. Flavour was immense. My exploration of banoffee was much more measured, with no stand out bits (well the deep friend pecan toffee bon-bon was good, but I put that down to being Scottish, but overall, very tasty and not overly sickly. The parsley was a surprise, but did work well with the banana. When I think of banoffee though, I do think of sugar overload, so perhaps in that way not what I suspected.

A fairly reasonable Ł55/head, which puts it well within the price range for that scale of restaurant in Edinburgh.

And the million dollar question for me - is it better than Wedgwood? The cooking is more reminiscent of 21212 than Wedgwood, although the dishes make more sense than 21212 which sometimes seems like a random collection of ingredients -it's very precise, it ticks a lot of the on trend boxes (although Wedgwood was also using foraged when I was last there). It easily goes into the top group of non-Michelin restaurants for me (currently Wedgwood, Stockbridge, Grain Store) but I can't actually decide if it was better or not. Given the choice between Mark Greenaway and Wedgwood... I'd want to do both! So I think I have to call it a tie...
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Added review for Tapa, a long-standing tapas bar in Leith.

And recently did the lunch at Wedgwood - cheaper ingredients, much smaller prices, but still fabulous food Thanks to WHBM for the tip ^
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Linlithgow?

We will be flying to EDI later this month to visit a good friend who lives out in Linlithgow. Any recommendations for restaurants out in that area?

Driving into Edinburgh is a pain.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Don't forget there are regular trains between Linlithgow and Edinburgh (the last one back is about 11:30 IIRC).
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by mmack
We will be flying to EDI later this month to visit a good friend who lives out in Linlithgow. Any recommendations for restaurants out in that area?

Driving into Edinburgh is a pain.
Never been, but this one certainly used to have an enviable reputation:

http://www.champany.com/
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:18 am
Original Poster

I've tried both the restaurant proper and the steak house recently. Both really good meat. Steak house is really jammed in, very crowded and chintzy, but I can forgive them a lot for the food.

There is a review someplace in this thread. The restaurant is expensive because it's Michelin starred.

No other strong options for Linlithgow itself - I've never eaten in that area, but you aren't too far from South Queensferry, where there are Orinocco Pier and Dakota hotel (never eaten, but it has a good reputation).
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
Smile

Fishers in Leith - "The Shore" - just been there tonight. Absolutely outstanding. Very fine food. The horseradish bloody mary with the oysters was ... well, I mopped it up with the bread. I'm a bit of a cynic and was not 100% with Wedgwood and (RIP) Skippers upthread, but this was great. Mrs NSFU would go back any time, and that's some endorsement.

Charming service too. Couldn't find fault, frankly, and the prices are reasonable for what it is.

Quiet on a chilly October Tuesday night in Leith
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Yes, you need to book Friday/Saturday nights, but it's generally ok outwith that. And the nice thing is it's open all day, so you can do a late lunch/early dinner on a Saturday if you don't have a reservation.

I did say I preferred Fishers to Skippers

If I'd known, I'd have waved - I live closeby (as you might have guessed from the concentration of restaurant reviews from Leith!).

I have a new Malaysian to add, but I need to check what it was called first... ETA - Kampung Ali

Last edited by Jenbel; Oct 17, 2012 at 7:19 am
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NSFU
We've eaten in this one - Hamam's - Google maps here - unlicensed by the way; competent but a little bland as I remember it.
Got to Hanams on the weekend. Nice, but not amazing food. We had brought our own wine, but they didn't appear to have any way of keeping white cold

Good strong humous though, and I can forgive a ME restaurant a lot if their humous has a bite. We also did a meze by just ordering lots of starters and small dishes.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:53 pm

Would love any recommendations for good places to eat for a family near the castle/Princes street gardens. We'll be there for a week in January--four adults and one toddler.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm - Princes St Gardens is tricky, because on the one side you have Princes St, which has a dearth of eating places and on the other, a bloody great hill!

There is a cluster of restaurants towards the top of the Royal Mile - the aforementioned Hanams is one. I don't know how fussy your toddler is, if they must have dinosaur shapes or if they are happy to try foods, but given how good the staff are in Hanams, that could be an option. Filling Station is a semi-chain - in that it has a handful of restaurants throughout Scotland. It's not amazing dining, but it is a solid American type diner with pretty unexceptional food which will likely cater happily for kids. In the middle section of the Mile, it's probably your best bet (the bit around St Giles is a section where the restaurants can be a bit tourist trappy, and you only eat in them during the Festival when you are desperate for nourishment between shows)
http://www.filling-stations.co.uk

George IVth bridge has a better range of restaurants, including another chain, Pizza Express, as well as a good fish restaurant Ondine, and another Italian doing wood fired pizzas whose name escapes me.

I'm also think that maybe tapas might be good with toddlers - in which case Cafe Andaluz on George St would be good.

And for a decent Scottish restaurant, stray a little further and try Room in the Town - it's a very relaxed restaurant, so should be happy with kids, serving good Scottish food.

I'm sure there are some obvious ones I am forgetting - or being childless, someone else can maybe help with some more child friendly options!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I'm sure there are some obvious ones I am forgetting - or being childless, someone else can maybe help with some more child friendly options!
I'd have thought the National Gallery caff I mentioned up the page would fit, being in the gardens themselves, and being an adequate mix of reasonable food and what the USA euphemistically calls "family dining", plus from many of the tables there's a great view out over the gardens and the Old Town.

One thing to point out to first-timers is that, while a number of restaurants etc will be child-friendly, Edinburgh overall isn't, especially if you are using a pram/stroller. The very considerable hills in the centre, myriad footpaths with steps, and streets with cobblestone surfaces, must make wheeling round a problem. It's a steep enough climb on foot from Princes Street up The Mound and Ramsay Lane to the Castle; doing it while pushing an infant is going to be quite a puff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.