Community
Wiki Posts
Search

two questions:

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2001, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
two questions:

Hey FTers and TWA enthusiasts:

is it your opinion that when miles transfer over, it will be the base miles that TWA calculated for the year. Meaning, I'm going to put a sea-stl-mke flight on my twa account (now that we are in double mile bonus period)
instead of my aa account because, TWA will count my stl-mke as 1000 base miles versus aa's measly 500, making my base milage 2709 per way (not that I'm counting).

I'm about 2K over what I need for explat for this year if the mileage transfers over this way, if not, spokane, here I come!

AND:
I return from BWI Friday night at 8:00 pm, do you think I could check in for my 6 am flight the next day. I am thinking of staying out at seatac making my night a bit longer. Last time I flew, there was no FC line.

The flight looks super full, so we'll see how I do on upgrades.

thanks for your help.
lala
Old Oct 18, 2001, 10:54 am

lala,

I have also been curious about how the TWA miles will transfer over. From what I've read and heard at various sources, including this board, I believe that they will transfer based on the TWA standards. In other works, AA is not going to go back and check your individual flights to see if they should have earned 500 miles instead of 1,000. It's for this reason that I have continued to accumulate miles in my Aviators account as opposed to putting them to AA. Additionally, I don't think the TWA mileage accounting system is very sophisticated. There were earlier reports of folks being upgraded on TWA flights, accruing the miles to their AAdvantage account and receiving 1.5 Q-points. There also doesn't seem to be a distinction between discount and full-fare economy fares in that regard. Everyone seems to get 1 full Q-point for TWA travel. I don't know exactly how it's going to happen, but my guess is that when the transfer occurs, the AA system will see class flown as F (even though one upgraded) and accrue points/miles that way.

Old Oct 18, 2001, 11:12 am

I've had problems with flying TWA and obtaining credit from AA, hence I've had numerous discussions with the Platinum desk and the AA desk about this. I've even had flights where I've alternated crediting miles to TW and AA, depending on the length of the flight.

It boils down to the following choice: Do you want more miles, or do you want credit toward AA upgrades? As you point out TWA is more generous with their miles, and these will be converted to AA, so if miles is your game, then fly as a Aviator.

If working toward upgrade certificates you receive when you reach 10,000 miles, then fly as a AAdvantage member, as these miles will count toward the goal of 10,000 miles for 4 500 mile certificates.

If this were my choice in your position, I would choose working toward the upgrade certificates.
Old Oct 18, 2001, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I agree about the upgrades, but from the westcoast they are absolutely useless. I will use the 16+ that I will accumulate this year and convert them back to 40,000 miles and then buy upgrades if I think I need them. Those 40,000 miles are a nice start to a rt international upgrade, which is where I hope to use them.

LifePlat- when they comped you to EXP did you get the VIPOWs?

Okay, back to our regularily scheduled programs.

lala
Old Oct 19, 2001, 7:04 am

lalala, yes, when AA matched by Life_Platinum status, they sent me 8 VIPOWS. I have not yet used them, however if my wife and I fly AA to Japan in 2002, we plan to use some of them.

I also was told by AAdvantage staff that when AAdvantage decided to continue us at the same level for another year, that with that came 8 more VIPOWS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.