FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TWA FFB/Aviators (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators-401/)
-   -   Pre Flight Seating (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators/86720-pre-flight-seating.html)

ChicagoHokie May 12, 2001 5:45 pm

Pre Flight Seating

I am wondering if anyone else has this happen to them. I have been flying alot of TWA lately and when I book my flight, I am told the only seats available are middle. When I get on the plane, it has been half empty with several window and aisle seats open. What gives? I am Elite with TWA and think that I should be given better treatment. Looking at UA or AA, they reserve seats in the front of the cabin for their elite members. I am Platinum on AA and Executive Premier on UA. I never get placed in a middle seat. Hopefully AA will integrate their policies soon.

nyc6035 May 12, 2001 8:16 pm

TWA has the same policy. Seats in the front of coach are held for Platinum (I'm not sure about Elite 1 and Elite).

socalterp May 13, 2001 12:05 am

As an Elite 1, I also have access to front-of-cabin coach seating, except for exit rows on the 757s (rows 7 and 8) This is especially nice for any MD80 flights in the unlikely event that an upgrade doesn't come through, and I'm assured of at least a bulkhead row with a ton of legroom.

Some airlines extend this benefit to all Elite tiers, others only to the higher ones. I have noticed the seat maps on ITN to be quite out of sync with how the flight full the flights actually are, but that could be due to a variety of factors. I've also had cases where my travel agent has been unable to assign the preferred-seating in coach, but a call to TWA reveals that those seats are free.

Unfortunately, the lowest level of Elite status rarely gets you very much these days, as the number of Elites keeps growing. I'm just going to enjoy my last few months of free, unlimited upgrades before deciding whether to resign myself to MRTC or take advantage of my comped CO Gold status starting in 2002.

nyc6035 May 13, 2001 7:38 pm

You know I see lot's of AA flyers referring to MRTC. Having flown all of about 2,500 miles life to date on AA could you explain just what that is. Thanks!

socalterp May 13, 2001 10:55 pm

MRTC- More Room Through Coach- AA's new policy of removing a few rows of Y seats to give a few more inches of legroom to all remaining rows in Y. It's like United's E+, except it's not limited to a few rows reserved for Elites/Full fare pax.

Haven't flown on an AA plane since, but I've heard good things about it if one has to be stuck in Y.

SFOJFK May 17, 2001 12:16 am

MRTC is good, but not F. At least, you won't have to cringe when the person in front of you reclines.