Upgrade or Purchase An Award Ticket

Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade or Purchase An Award Ticket

I'm planning to fly CGK-LHR or CGK-LGW via IST. I was wondering if it's better to use miles upgrading the Economy ticket to Business or to buy an award ticket in Business Class. (Newbie here with subpar English)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by junioraviator
I'm planning to fly CGK-LHR or CGK-LGW via IST. I was wondering if it's better to use miles upgrading the Economy ticket to Business or to buy an award ticket in Business Class. (Newbie here with subpar English)
Well that really depends on what the price of the eco ticket will be and if there is upgrade availability on your chosen flight vs. what the taxes on a business award will be.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's usually the same number of miles for an upgrade as it is for an award in J.

Different availability buckets though. And occasionally there are good reasons for having a paid ticket in Y.

But most of the time you should book a standard award if you can.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by craigthemif
But most of the time you should book a standard award if you can.
Why? Not saying this is wrong, just curious as to the reasoning.

Pros of paid upgrade
  • You earn miles per your original booking class (or?)
  • Easier handling in case of irrops, as you are not on a "free ticket"
  • Often better availability

Pros of award
  • Your ticket is originally in business, so greater chance of kept cabin class in case of irrops
  • Better ticket flexibility (rebooking/cancellation) than most low-fare tickets
  • Usually cheaper in terms of money spent
  • No need to call TK phone "service" (unless complex booking)

Anything else?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Why? Not saying this is wrong, just curious as to the reasoning.

Pros of paid upgrade
  • You earn miles per your original booking class (or?)
  • Easier handling in case of irrops, as you are not on a "free ticket"
  • Often better availability

Pros of award
  • Your ticket is originally in business, so greater chance of kept cabin class in case of irrops
  • Better ticket flexibility (rebooking/cancellation) than most low-fare tickets
  • Usually cheaper in terms of money spent
  • No need to call TK phone "service" (unless complex booking)

Anything else?
You've covered it. Since you pay the same amount of miles, for me it boils down to:

1. Should you pay for a non-refundable Y ticket and earn a handful of miles
2. Should you pay the surcharges for a J reward that is refundable

Since 1 is almost always going to be more money than 2 and you can't really count on the upgraded ticket earning 160% of miles flown instead of 25% then you should just book a J reward as you get a cheaper, more flexible ticket. (and during IRROPS a guaranteed J seat)

Mitigating factors are:

1. There might not be reward space, but there is space in J bucket for the upgrade
2. Somebody else is paying for the Y ticket (company, etc.)
3. You need a handful of miles for status purposes

But if you can see the reward space, usually you should just book the reward IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.