Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish 321 vs. EgyptAir 737-800 -- Transit and Comfort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

I'm booking a flight from Cairo to Dulles next March, flying via Istanbul. I the choice of going on EgyptAir on a 737-800 and having 1:45 hours to make the connection, or I can fly on a Turkish 321 and have 2:45 hours to connect. I can't find reliable EgyptAir seating info, so I can't compare, but it looks as though Turkish in Economy on the 321 is quite small. Anyone have any experience.

Plus, any thoughts on the extra hour to connect? Tnx.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NellieVA
I'm booking a flight from Cairo to Dulles next March, flying via Istanbul. I the choice of going on EgyptAir on a 737-800 and having 1:45 hours to make the connection, or I can fly on a Turkish 321 and have 2:45 hours to connect. I can't find reliable EgyptAir seating info, so I can't compare, but it looks as though Turkish in Economy on the 321 is quite small. Anyone have any experience.

Plus, any thoughts on the extra hour to connect? Tnx.
It's a short flight, and it's economy, so i don't think you'd find any difference between seat comfort on TK and MS. One difference between the carriers is that MS is dry; but, again, it's a two-hour flight.

1:45H isn't a generous connection time; in fact it could be rather tight given IST congestion, flight delays and the security faff around flights to the US.

The last time I took the TK flight from CAI I missed my connection at IST (admittedly just one hour ten minutes). The airline came up trumps: with a little pressure they bought me a ticket on another carrier (after offering a hotel etc for a next-day departure) AND came up with an EU-type compensation payment. So there are probably advantages in making an "online" connection, even if the M`s service is a code-share.

I'd definitely take the TK flight.

P.S. I see you've added exactly the same post to other forums. That's a no-no.

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 24, 2017 at 4:25 am
Old May 24, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Can't think of a single reason to fly MS instead of practically any other airline. (except maybe for some random F mileage run)

And given the security nightmare, take the extra connection time in IST, unless you fancy an overnight layover in IST...
Old May 24, 2017, 2:57 pm

+1 take the TK flight mainly for the connection time. MS is bearable in Y but TK is still better. If you have an hour at IST pay 20$ or so for a paid lounge.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:29 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
For the record: aren't TK flights to/from Egypt dry, either?

http://wildabouttravel.boardingarea....ks-on-turkish/
Old May 25, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ

My favoured flights are 07:00-ish from IST and early morning return from Cairo. So these are waters I've never tested ......
Old May 25, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
My favoured flights are 07:00-ish from IST and early morning return from Cairo. So these are waters I've never tested ......
A decent champagne is worthy of being sampled at any hour.

It's been too long since my last ex-CAI on TK to recall whether alcohol was on offer.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:46 pm

Shame but no alcohol on either TK or MS from Egypt. MS is totally dry but TK dry only to other Arab countries.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Choose the TK to TK connection. MUCH more reliable and if there are any problems (first flight late) you'll get better options with a same carrier connect.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I can think of no situation where I would fly MS over TK, in any class.

Originally Posted by TPJ

Egyptair isn't dry due to government policy, but a foolish airline one.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Egyptair isn't dry due to government policy, but a foolish airline one.
Separating government policy from that of a state-owned company is difficult: pointless in Egypt.

Just wondering - why do you believe it is a foolish policy?

Absence of alcohol on board is a USP attractive to many.

You might find it unattractive, but others care less if they miss out on an inflight drink, while many in the airline's home market and elsewhere in its network are relieved to be able to secure a place in an an alcohol-free environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.