Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade with M&S: Which Class Calculation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I'm considering upgrading IST-LAX to Business Class. TK website says the upgraded class will be J. Will this means I'll earn J-equivalent of miles, or will I get the miles according to the original booked class in Economy?
Old May 21, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
"Miles earned for travel using upgrade award will be based on the original class of the service purchased."
from http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...awards/upgrade
Old May 21, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
"Miles earned for travel using upgrade award will be based on the original class of the service purchased."
from http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...awards/upgrade
Cheers, I didn't read the page carefully. Thanks for pointing out.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by sushimaru
Cheers, I didn't read the page carefully. Thanks for pointing out.
I don't blame you, their English is sometimes a little strange and that doesn't always give a clear picture.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
YMMV. You obviously are supposed to get the miles based on the booked fare, but a few people have reported a pleasant surprise.

After all, J is a paid fare class and not every agent might process the upgrade the same way...

P.S. I assume the OP does realise that in most cases you pay the same number of miles for an upgrade as you would for a reward ticket in Business.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
YMMV. You obviously are supposed to get the miles based on the booked fare, but a few people have reported a pleasant surprise.

After all, J is a paid fare class and not every agent might process the upgrade the same way...

P.S. I assume the OP does realise that in most cases you pay the same number of miles for an upgrade as you would for a reward ticket in Business.
That's a surprise indeed. I won't count on it though. Yes I figured the upgrade and reward ticket are actually the same amount of miles required but when earning cpm is low it makes sense to upgrade to earn full miles.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

After having second thought I've decided to go for an award redemption. Thanks all for help.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sushimaru
After having second thought I've decided to go for an award redemption. Thanks all for help.
That's normally what you should do when paying your own way and you can find award inventory in Business Class.

The number of miles you earn for the underlying fare is usually irrelevant for status and redemption purposes (25% for the cheap fares).

But if you are upgrading an employer-paid ticket, or cannot find award availability, then an upgrade can make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.