Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

What does Elite Plus status give you? Is there a Star Alliance equivalent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat

I've been crediting my paid Star Alliance flights to TK. I was at Elite, which is Star Gold. Apparently I am now at Elite Plus. Is there a Star Alliance equivalent? What, if any, are the benefits of Elite Plus over elite?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
The top tier of *A is gold.

A few of the airlines have their own tier which is above that for their own purposes - LH HON, SQ PPS and so on. You get nothing more than gold though when traveling on a *A flight with any of the other carriers but your own.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I've been crediting my paid Star Alliance flights to TK. I was at Elite, which is Star Gold. Apparently I am now at Elite Plus. Is there a Star Alliance equivalent? What, if any, are the benefits of Elite Plus over elite?
It gives some defined defined benefits with TK, and there's a clear expectation that undefined benefits are there as well...

I think it might give you an extra year of Eliteness, though whether there's a soft-landing to regular Elite status I'm not sure.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite+ - Marriott Rewards Gold - Hertz 5 Stars
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It gives some defined defined benefits with TK, and there's a clear expectation that undefined benefits are there as well...

I think it might give you an extra year of Eliteness, though whether there's a soft-landing to regular Elite status I'm not sure.
yep, the status is for 2 years, and if you do not reach the renewal rate you get elite for another 2 years. basically once e+ you're gold for 4 years even if you do not fly at all
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I believe that E+ gets 2 free upgrades per year on TK metal. Otherwise just a general, unpublished expectation that you will be treated better than an E when travelling on TK.

The 2-year status thing is a bit quirky. Indeed you get the soft landing (so 4 years guaranteed *A Gold) but, moreover, if you re-qualify during year 1, you have the option of crediting your *A flights during year 2 to a different FF programme if you're trying to build up redeemable miles in a more user-friendly place.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except LH of course as you only get 25% status credit there...............
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:43 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigthemif
unpublished expectation that you will be treated better than an E when travelling on TK.
I have never observed any better treatment, though.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
i have also not received better treatment from e+.

the only case where e+ helps over e is when economy class is full and business isn't. if you are flying economy they upgrade a few people to business to put more people in economy from the waiting list. e+ gets these seats before elite.

however, now that most flights usually have availability even at the last minute, this almost never happens.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tcmb99
i have also not received better treatment from e+.

the only case where e+ helps over e is when economy class is full and business isn't. if you are flying economy they upgrade a few people to business to put more people in economy from the waiting list. e+ gets these seats before elite.

however, now that most flights usually have availability even at the last minute, this almost never happens.
In my experience, the best way to get better treatment from TK as an E+ is to use a *G card from another airline. I got upgraded recently on a flight which was not full in Y when using an A3*G card!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
E+ gets you better treatment in Turkey.
For example, you can enter the lounge before security in IST (going through a private secutiry checkpoint).
Also most domestic lounge have 2 sections, one for only E+ and J pax and the other for Elite, Classic Plus and *G card holders.
And you get upgraded to J in domestic segments pretty frequently as those are often packed.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe 2 years ago, when flying to high density European destinations such as Berlin and Munich, as an E+ you could count on getting an upgrade a good percentage of the time (not half, but maybe 30% overall), The last year or so, generally you can forget about it, as there is almost always space down the back. The same hols true for certain medium density routes where TK had gone from 1 to 2-3x per day and is now back to 1x. Conversely on these flights every single seat seems to be sold so Op-Ups are rare and few in between.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

^weird. I actually have never flown TK, but was expecting to this year. But, political conditions in Istanbul are causing people to shy away from work there. I'm almost always flying business class, which I've heard was excellent on TK.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shawbridge
^weird. I actually have never flown TK, but was expecting to this year. But, political conditions in Istanbul are causing people to shy away from work there. I'm almost always flying business class, which I've heard was excellent on TK.
People have mixed opinions on TK J. I find it excellent and I choose them over AC/UA/LH hands down for TATL trips. The catering is fantastic. If flying to Asia though, there might be better options in *A.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by johnirvine
In my experience, the best way to get better treatment from TK as an E+ is to use a *G card from another airline. I got upgraded recently on a flight which was not full in Y when using an A3*G card!
Why on earth wouldd they upgrade anyone (other than a Turkish VIP) unless Y is full?

Until I ascended the dizzy heights of M&S I regularly used my SEN card on TK flights. Not a single upgrade

Indeed, when I suggested an upgrade to Manchester as compensation for a missed connection and 20-hour delay, they clearly thought i was a deranged fool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.