Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
US and UK electronics ban:

As of 5 July 2017 personal electronics can again be brought into the cabin on flights to the US. The UK was lifted at the end of July.

Which items are affected?

The US rule is broad and wide-ranging, affecting almost anything that is not a phone.
"Electronic devices larger than a cell phone/smart phone will not be allowed to be carried onboard the aircraft in carry-on luggage or other accessible property." Anything larger will have to go in checked luggage in the hold.

The US DHS gave a list of examples, but said it was not exhaustive:
  • Laptops
  • Tablets
  • E-readers
  • Cameras
  • Portable DVD players
  • Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
  • Travel printers/scanners

The rules apply to all flights originating from Turkey to the US or UK, and apply to those who started their journey outside of Turkey and are connecting at IST.

The UK rules are set out here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:15 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

US authorities have secretly required airlines from 13 nations to forbid passengers from carrying any electronic or electrical device larger than a cellphone.The new edict was distributed in an email described as “confidential” from the US transportation safety administration (TSA) on Monday....
So far only Jordan and Saudi Arabia have confirmed the new rules, however it is expected that Turkey is also on the list. No confirmation yet from TK.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Reports I see have Istanbul on the list. I'm checking with my sources to verify. I can imagine this all came out of Trump's meeting with airline executives a few weeks ago as a way of punishing Middle East airlines. I don't see how this is going to be enforceable since one is not supposed to have lithium batteries in checked luggage...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the many FT threads on this topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...tries-u-s.html
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: TK Elite
Just so we're clear this only applies to US bound flights? ie South America isn't concerned?

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Just so we're clear this only applies to US bound flights? ie South America isn't concerned?

Thanks
US bound flights only
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Turkish airlines official announcement:

Due to the most recent declaration that we’ve received from the concerned authorities, as Turkish Airlines we kindly inform our passengers that any electronic or electirical devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone (except medical devices) must not be transported on board in our flights arriving to the US destinations. However, those passengers will be easily able to transport their mentioned devices in the baggage hold area of the aircraft.
Source: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-hr...ying-to-the-us
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
This does not make any sense, holds are no stronger than passenger decks if they are worried about bombs. And if they can camouflage the bomb to pass IST security why not fly to Athens and get on a US bound flight there.

I smell a rat.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Worcester
This does not make any sense, holds are no stronger than passenger decks if they are worried about bombs. And if they can camouflage the bomb to pass IST security why not fly to Athens and get on a US bound flight there.

I smell a rat.
Orange rat?

Sort of amusing to see the Saudis and Emiratis on the blacklist too, given their rulers were anything but critical of Trump's Executive Order "Muslim bans" and were cheering for Trump in November 2016. And all so soon after Saudi Arabia's de facto head was in DC this month for a smiling photo op.

I can't say I'm surprised Turkey was blacklisted in this way. The US seems to have gone after the US-serving carriers with the largest coverage of Muslim-majority nations it could find.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

The UK is about to announce similar rules. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Has anyone tried to request a refund from Turkish? I have a long flight from IST to US and would like to work on the flight. I'd be happy with a reroute onto a star alliance carrier via Europe
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Shawn02139
Has anyone tried to request a refund from Turkish? I have a long flight from IST to US and would like to work on the flight. I'd be happy with a reroute onto a star alliance carrier via Europe
I'd say your chances are zero.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by starflyergold
I'd say your chances are zero.
+1. This is clearly a regulatory change outside of the airline's control. Why should they waive their ticket rules?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starflyergold
The UK is about to announce similar rules. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971
Appeasement?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:40 am
tcm

Different to the U.S. ban the U.K. has a dimension limit as well, even for phones. And "surprisingly" no ban for flights from Qatar/UAE. Politics driven security at its best
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:43 am
tcm

Under the new restrictions, passengers boarding flights to the UK from the countries affected will not be allowed to take any phones, laptops or tablets larger than a normal smartphone – specified as 16cm x 9.3cm x 1.5cm.
source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/21/uk-set-to-ban-laptops-on-flights-from-middle-east-countries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.