Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
US and UK electronics ban:

As of 5 July 2017 personal electronics can again be brought into the cabin on flights to the US. The UK was lifted at the end of July.

Which items are affected?

The US rule is broad and wide-ranging, affecting almost anything that is not a phone.
"Electronic devices larger than a cell phone/smart phone will not be allowed to be carried onboard the aircraft in carry-on luggage or other accessible property." Anything larger will have to go in checked luggage in the hold.

The US DHS gave a list of examples, but said it was not exhaustive:
  • Laptops
  • Tablets
  • E-readers
  • Cameras
  • Portable DVD players
  • Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
  • Travel printers/scanners

The rules apply to all flights originating from Turkey to the US or UK, and apply to those who started their journey outside of Turkey and are connecting at IST.

The UK rules are set out here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk.
Print Wikipost

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:06 am
tcm

Originally Posted by DaveS
This all makes the assumption that the ban is because of the possibility of explosives being concealed in these devices. I am not sure that is a valid assumption. I still wonder if the problem is lithium batteries and the energy they contain and what can be done with that energy. If I am right, it does not bode well for those of us that need to travel with laptops etc in the future.

The idea of posting/shipping electronics is none too good either. Import duties are a real risk in that situation. I think the airlines will have to come up with a way of carrying these items where they take on the liability for loss/damage.
But wouldn't the same risks be valid for flights departing from other airports as well? Flying from IST to LHR or JFK involves many extra security measures already than flying from say ZRH or MXP.

BTW, I don't think TK handing out tablets/notebooks onboard will be a solution as some in the media here seem to suggest. As you hinted, the only solution that comes to my mind is for TK to take on any special/sensitive equipment (Notebooks/Lenses/Tablets) after gate security (as UK/US/Canada/Israel bound flights have this already), have them sealed and put in a special hold and returned at the destination. At least for J pax. Don't know if this makes any sense. These enhancements will be very damaging to TK and the ME3.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tcm
But wouldn't the same risks be valid for flights departing from other airports as well? Flying from IST to LHR or JFK involves many extra security measures already than flying from say ZRH or MXP.

BTW, I don't think TK handing out tablets/notebooks onboard will be a solution as some in the media here seem to suggest. As you hinted, the only solution that comes to my mind is for TK to take on any special/sensitive equipment (Notebooks/Lenses/Tablets) after gate security (as UK/US/Canada/Israel bound flights have this already), have them sealed and put in a special hold and returned at the destination. At least for J pax. Don't know if this makes any sense. These enhancements will be very damaging to TK and the ME3.
I agree, tcm- your thoughts on this would really help and makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately I'm impacted by the ban as we left the states one day prior to it going into affect.

Still figuring out what's the best way to handle my laptops, and iPads for our way home on TK from Dubai connecting to IST, to the U.S.

Either ship them FedEx etc or have to place them in checked baggage and risk theft/damage along with compromise of sensitive data.... what a nightmare!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by tcm
Yes, but this may be where the politics comes into it. They have assessed the riskiest places and applied the ban to the hubs and airports that they are worried about.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by DaveS
This all makes the assumption that the ban is because of the possibility of explosives being concealed in these devices. I am not sure that is a valid assumption. I still wonder if the problem is lithium batteries and the energy they contain and what can be done with that energy. If I am right, it does not bode well for those of us that need to travel with laptops etc in the future.

The idea of posting/shipping electronics is none too good either. Import duties are a real risk in that situation. I think the airlines will have to come up with a way of carrying these items where they take on the liability for loss/damage.
The only dangerous aspect of Li-ion batteries is that you can start a fire (by ramming a nail or other conductor through the battery), but I don't think that's a very effective method of Jihad. The aircraft interior is designed to not allow for a fire to spread. And there are various aircraft fire containment devices for sale. A simple solution would be for the airlines to acquire better containment systems. An outlandish scenario could be 30 Jihadis simultaneously puncturing their Li-ion batteries.........

Furthermore, here are the FAA regs on li-ion batteries. Note that it is prohibited to pack spare batteries in your luggage!
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7

A Qantas C class passenger crushed his cell phone in the seat mechanism and it started a fire. So why not ban cell phones?

p.s. Note that there is a big difference between "lithium batteries" and li-ion. The former is a primary (non-rechargeable) battery, which is generally used in the form of coin cells or the small cylindrical CR123A battery. The FAA says that they must not contain more than 2g of Li; commercial Li batteries contain much less than 1g.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: TK E+, BA G, SPG Plat, PC G, MR Plat, HH G
Does anybody know if the ban is already implemented on flights to the UK. I m transiting tomorrow to London and want to know if i should put my laptop/ipad in my luggage or can travel still freely.
i want to avoiid that in Istanbul they refuse to let me take both items on board but if there is no restrictions at depature i prefer to take them with me especially as i have 2,5 houes to kill in Istanbul (so could even try to add it to my bag in Istanbul)
nothing is mentioned on TK website and it seems the ban only needs to start from Saturday so i hope i can avoid checking my laptop in my suitcase
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:29 am
tcm

Originally Posted by gold_digger
Does anybody know if the ban is already implemented on flights to the UK. I m transiting tomorrow to London and want to know if i should put my laptop/ipad in my luggage or can travel still freely.
i want to avoiid that in Istanbul they refuse to let me take both items on board but if there is no restrictions at depature i prefer to take them with me especially as i have 2,5 houes to kill in Istanbul (so could even try to add it to my bag in Istanbul)
nothing is mentioned on TK website and it seems the ban only needs to start from Saturday so i hope i can avoid checking my laptop in my suitcase
yes implementation started today. Good luck!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by tcm
yes implementation started today. Good luck!
Do we have any traveler feedback as to what TK is doing during check in at the counter? Are they reminding passengers of the ban, also what they might be doing at the gates?

I know airlines discourage checking these devices, so wondering what TK and other airlines are doing to ensure there's increased awareness for their staff who handles baggage to minimize potential theft or rough handling of bags... I know I am being very very wishful here'
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:37 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The less than helpful TK notice on their website. Emirates on the other hand have introduced a gate electronics service.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:40 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Any actual experience, especially of gate checking bags containing laptops at IST, gratefully accepted- I would ideally do that in a fortnight, and checking at checkin would be ... problematic

​​​ many thanks (and iOS auto spellcheck made that wrongly spelled into 'many tanks', which seems very appropriate for the sultan!)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:42 pm
tcm

Originally Posted by vg247
Do we have any traveler feedback as to what TK is doing during check in at the counter? Are they reminding passengers of the ban, also what they might be doing at the gates?

I know airlines discourage checking these devices, so wondering what TK and other airlines are doing to ensure there's increased awareness for their staff who handles baggage to minimize potential theft or rough handling of bags... I know I am being very very wishful here'
Will be flying TK to LHR next month. So no first hand experience yet. Do not expect TGS handling this no where near as professionally as Emirates. I would guess the Gozen Security contractors and TGS staff reminding of the new policy at document check/check-in. Hopefully we will get first hand accounts soon by fellow posters.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by tcm
Will be flying TK to LHR next month. So no first hand experience yet. Do not expect TGS handling this no where near as professionally as Emirates. I would guess the Gozen Security contractors and TGS staff reminding of the new policy at document check/check-in. Hopefully we will get first hand accounts soon by fellow posters.
I'll be departing Dubai, connecting through IST, then back to the U S April 8th...I'll share my experiences and what method I decided to do (Check Electronics in my bag and baggage wrapped it for checking baggage or ship them back via FedEx)

Everyone, please feel free to pm or post here any questions for me by then I should have some personal feedback to help or further provide everyone with insights on what's going on.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:56 pm
tcm

Originally Posted by vg247
I'll be departing Dubai, connecting through IST, then back to the U S April 8th...I'll share my experiences and what method I decided to do (Check Electronics in my bag and baggage wrapped it for checking baggage or ship them back via FedEx)

Everyone, please feel free to pm or post here any questions for me by then I should have some personal feedback to help or further provide everyone with insights on what's going on.
thanks! I might have to correct myself, BA started the implementation today, and TK is expected to start on the 25th of March, but nothing concrete yet. Sorry for the confusion, but still very much doubt that TGS will have a professional setup. Hope to be proved wrong.

Boris (UK MFA) is coming to Ankara. One of the subjects of discussion is aviation security. Fingers crossed for a policy reversal. But doubt it. Sorry if it is unrelated...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tcm

Boris (UK MFA) is coming to Ankara. One of the subjects of discussion is aviation security. Fingers crossed for a policy reversal. But doubt it. Sorry if it is unrelated...
Always more info the better IMO, nothing ever unrelated ..only much more to appreciate ^
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: TK E+, BA G, SPG Plat, PC G, MR Plat, HH G
i just checked in for my flight to Istanbul with onward connection to London. No questions on laptop, ipads ,. in my hand luggage. There is nothing on the website either so i am carrying both items with me. Will report back when i get to Istanbul but so far looks that TK is not well prepared/implementing.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by gold_digger
i just checked in for my flight to Istanbul with onward connection to London. No questions on laptop, ipads ,. in my hand luggage. There is nothing on the website either so i am carrying both items with me. Will report back when i get to Istanbul but so far looks that TK is not well prepared/implementing.
I thought TK was starting electronics ban March 25th?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.