Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK Business / United connection baggage allowance

Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Hi,
I have the following itinerary -
TLV - IST - IAH - AUS

With TLV - IST and IST - IAH on Turkish business class(marketed and operated by), and IAH - AUS economy on united. Both as one ticket. I'm a star alliance gold member (with Turkish).

The ticket states that for the IAH - AUS domestic leg I'll have to pay for luggage (25$ for the 1st, 35$ for 2nd, and 100$ if checking in 3rd). Is it really the case? For the Turkish ones I can check in 3 for free (2 as business class +1 for Gold). Isn't it supposed to be the 'MCT' allowance?

Thanks,
Avi
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:01 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
If this is one one ticket the TK rules apply.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by starflyergold
If this is one one ticket the TK rules apply.
TK rules will apply as stated, but assume you might have to be firm with an check in agent at either TLV or IAH. If TLV will check it all the way to AUS then it won't be an issue as you can just drop your checked luggage after clearing customs in IAH. If TLV only checks it through to IAH then you'll likely have to be firm with someone at United who will want to try and charge you for bags initially.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Thanks guys!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I'm star gold going IST to IKA on an economy ticket. Does anyone know the baggage allowance?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by shuaavi
Hi,
I have the following itinerary -
TLV - IST - IAH - AUS

With TLV - IST and IST - IAH on Turkish business class(marketed and operated by), and IAH - AUS economy on united. Both as one ticket. I'm a star alliance gold member (with Turkish).

The ticket states that for the IAH - AUS domestic leg I'll have to pay for luggage (25$ for the 1st, 35$ for 2nd, and 100$ if checking in 3rd). Is it really the case? For the Turkish ones I can check in 3 for free (2 as business class +1 for Gold). Isn't it supposed to be the 'MCT' allowance?

Thanks,
Avi
Turkish rules apply as others have said. Two more points: 1) Make sure that TLV staff checks bags all the way through to AUS. 2) You will need to claim bags at IAH, walk through them through customs, and immediately after find the United staff taking bags for being rechecked to domestic destinations - you need to give it to them (there might also be somebody there doing the same thing for American). SOMETIMES, some of the staff are only looking for people arriving on United and are a bit confused about the process. I've had to, at times, explain to them Star Alliance and all. So long as it gets taken here, your original Turkish rules apply. Check it manually later at domestic checkin counters outside the secure area and they start applying domestic UA allowances.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.