Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Snow at IST Causing Cancellations - January 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow at IST Causing Cancellations - January 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:53 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
TK de-icing
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by starflyergold
What a joke...
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by hfly
Lefly, have you ever been in London when they get 2 inches of snow??!! Pandemonium. Your profile says BRU, are we going to compare how quickly BRU recovers from incidents and IST recovers from incidents? Seriously?
No. Never did, never hinted and even never wanted. Please don't read more that what I just wrote
I'm not condemning nor attacking IST, and I don't know why you seems to think so; I just stated that simply I will not try my luck again there in winter.

Originally Posted by hfly
While FRA may offer some rail alternatives if you are going somewhere on the continent, what is London offering you in such a snow situation?
Eurostar? Maybe some ferry?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Generelly (for any itinerary) if your flight has been cancelled then it is TK's responsibility (but you can also try your luck with AC). If there is a waiver in place then talk to either TK or AC. If this is non affected by the snow then talk to AC.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Your TK flights have been cancelled? If not, you need to contact AC for (voluntary) rebooking i.e. it will be subject to award availability and most likely rebooking fees.

Thanks for the advice. I had Aeroplan re-route me on EVA via TPE same day (leaving tonight) - TK flight was not cancelled... just delayed ~5h as of now.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd try my luck in winter before LHR or FRA when it looks like snow.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
My boss was supposed to fly SSH-IST-BSL last Sunday, then got rebooked onto a Tuesday flight (Monday flights were full) which was cancelled again. She'll be flying tomorrow now, hopefully.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold (Life), Marriot Titanium Elite (Life)
Originally Posted by SK AAR
TK15 IST-GRU 09JAN has not left IST yet.

Interuptions seem severe now. TK65 from BKK was very close to landing but aborted (it has safely landed just now). TK longhaul flights are circling around just south of the airport waiting to land.
Oh hey, I was on that TK65 flight that left on Monday from BKK (11:30 AM sched departure, ended up wheels up around 3 PM). It was a pretty scary moment as we were on approach when the pilot gunned the engines and pulled back on the yoke, hard.

Turns out that there was a plow on the runway that got stuck/wasn't able to get off in time for our approach, so we had to circle around one more time. IST airport crew - FTW.

Honestly though just getting on the aircraft as a huge win for us since we had been on two canceled flights since Saturday with no information from Turkish and no rebooking (we were on a *A RTW ticket and got re-booked twice from the *A call center crew, who were awesome during this period as we kept calling them to try and figure out other routing options).

They were sending busloads of folks to different area hotels with the only message being "we'll get in contact when we have more info". I can't imagine where we'd be if we didn't have *A there to help us. The Turkish call centers basically would say you need to contact the sales office in BKK and give us an address in the airport (which you can't get to) and a phone number (that no one ever answered over the 48 hours I tried calling it).

Agree with everyone else that I never, ever want to fly through IST in the winter again.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Dozens of TK pax were stranded in Lagos (LOS) airport on Monday evening. Some had no transit visas and were in immigration and customs transit lounge captivity for days. Anyone know if the disruptions have settled down?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
SFO flights are departing early morning the next day even though they come in on time. They are scheduled to arrive at 5-6 in the morning, which is when the asia bank makes it back. Is this really productive planning? My flight was pushed till the next morning. When we landed, it was jampacked with the Asia flights and the terminal was full of people that had their flights cancelled.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jan 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If the weather forecasts show snowfall at IST it makes sense to delay the departure from SFO until it is more likely that the plane will be able to land once reaching IST. I think you are better off waiting at SFO rather than getting stuck in Antalya or Ankara wherever the planes are rereouted to when IST is closed.

It hardly has any bearing whether the asia bank arrives IST at the same time; there are others concerns these days.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bogeydar
Oh hey, I was on that TK65 flight that left on Monday from BKK (11:30 AM sched departure, ended up wheels up around 3 PM). It was a pretty scary moment as we were on approach when the pilot gunned the engines and pulled back on the yoke, hard.

Turns out that there was a plow on the runway that got stuck/wasn't able to get off in time for our approach, so we had to circle around one more time. IST airport crew - FTW.
Thank you for the follow-up comments. It is always nice to hear from someone who was actually on the flight.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA
I have a question about re-booking. So when there is a weather problem at the connecting point, most airlines rebook you on an alternative airline to get you to the destination without going through the transit area with disruption. Turkish doesn't seem to do that. I was flying out of EU with a transit in IST to non-EU city but the second leg (IST-NonEU) got cancelled. There were other flights through middle east without cancellation, so TK could have booked me on another airline to get me to the destination more or less around the same time if they rebooked me at the departure airport in EU. TK did not, as they claimed it is their policy not to book on alternative airlines. The questions that I have:
1. Is it the TK policy not to put you on an alternative airline? They seem to prefer cost-savings over reputation and not care about the convenience for the pax.

2. For my flight (EU-IST-NonEU), would EC261 apply? EU-IST is not cancelled but IST-NonEU got cancelled, as a result, I had to wait so long for the next flight. The ticket didn't have a stopover and was bought as a part on a trip from EU-NonEU. However it was in transit in IST. If the second leg (NonEU to NonEU) gets cancelled, would EC261 apply if the ticket was booked as EU-NonEU ticket with a transit? If so, EC261 basically requires TK to reroute you, get a full refund, or take a later flight. This means TK would be reuired to rebook you on an alternative route
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by sony2012
If so, EC261 basically requires TK to reroute you, get a full refund, or take a later flight. This means TK would be reuired to rebook you on an alternative route

Ignore this completely misread the post.

Last edited by 89703511961; Jan 12, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by 89703511961
EC261 doesn't apply to delays when the cause is weather.
This is wrong.

EC261 does apply for all cancellations. The passenger is entitles to a choice between:
  • Refund
  • Rerouting
  • Date change
and care in terms of accommodation & food.

EC261 requests for cancellation however do not apply for extra-ordinary circumstances.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EC Reg. 261/04 does apply, but no compensation.

I think the issue of rebooking is in the grey zone and you can't blame TK for refusing to rebook you on different carriers if there was chance that TK would be able to get you to the destination within reasonable time. So if your connecting flight was not cancelled when you inquired about the rebooking you really can't expect to be rebooked IMO. Even if it was cancelled already at that time, you will not get anywhere with this - unless you of course paid for alternative flights yourself and are trying to get reimbursement from TK (which I guess would be very difficult). In a situation like this - if it was really important to get to your destination in time - I would have purchased new tickets on my own when the carrier refused to rebook OAL and to fight it out afterwards with the carrier or try to get reimbursed under my travel insurance.

Your problems getting rebooked OAL with TK has been reported before in this forum.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 12, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.