Search

KrisFlyer vs Miles & Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer
KrisFlyer vs Miles & Smiles

Hi,

I'm Belgian and was recently transferred to Singapore for my job. My new role will include traveling around Asia & Pacific 7-10 days a month. On top of that I usually fly back to Brussels 2-3 times a year.

This should offer me without too much effort a gold status wherever I go, my question however is if I've chosen the right program. Living in Singapore, I also have an Amex giving quite some Miles (but no status miles).

KrisFlyer seems be more turned to the elite and I tend to avoid Singapore Airlines flights as they're usually too expensive compared to other Star Alliance flights.

My question however is regarding Turkish Airlines, it's usually the most affordable and convenient airline to fly back to Europe and it only takes 40k miles to get to Gold which is valid for 2y.

KrisFlyer on the other side asks for 50k Elite miles and is only valid for 1y.

Having only collected 15k miles, should I maybe consider switching? Will I gain more by flying Turkish saving on Miles & Smiles?

Should I stay in KrisFlyer?

All advise is welcome.

Cheers

G
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Requalifying will be easier for you on TK as well as they have lower requirements for members based outside of Turkey.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:44 am
Original Poster

My only issue is that all my credit cards are linked to my SingaporeAirlines account, that means I would try to get Status miles on TK and regular miles on SA.

Stupid?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:17 am

Welcome to FT gregleo!

IMHO the advantage of KF is that you can book awards on premium SQ cabins, while in general the process of redeeming on TK is very convoluted (see this thread).

That said, I would stick to TK for status and flight accrual, and keep a KF account to collect miles through credit cards. That way, you can have the best of both worlds, assuming of course that you spend enough to have the miles to redeem a nice J or F flight before the miles expire.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi Malmostoso, thanks for the answer/

It's exactly what I'm planning to do. I reached to Miles & Smiles and they suggested me to first get towards the Gold Status on KS as I already saved 20k elite miles. Once I'm Gold they would grant me the same status for free on TK. As from then, I'll save elite miles on TK.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by gregleo
Hi Malmostoso, thanks for the answer/

It's exactly what I'm planning to do. I reached to Miles & Smiles and they suggested me to first get towards the Gold Status on KS as I already saved 20k elite miles. Once I'm Gold they would grant me the same status for free on TK. As from then, I'll save elite miles on TK.
You should also check the accrual rates, some examples:

SIN-BRU flight via IST, on a cheap economy class ticket in fare class U gives you 25% if you credit to TK, and nothing if you credit to SQ

SIN-BKK with TG, on a cheap economy class ticket (V) gives you nothing on both TK and SQ

So if you know the routes/airlines you will use, check out what you get with them for both TK and SQ, you might end up finding it is quicker to accrue 40K points with TK than 30K miles with SQ, or you might find out another FFP is better for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.