Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Looking for guidance on Turkish Airlines cancellation/refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Appreciate any input from seasoned travelers on this.

Have non-refundable tickets for 4 from Boston-Istanbul on Turkish Airlines, August 15-August 29 (purchased on 4/27). We did buy insurance (TravelInsured International, Worldwide Trip Protector Plus) which covers 75% for "any" reason and 100% for terrorism within 30 days of trip.

Problem 1: I can't reach Turkish Air. 1-800 number does not answer. Online cancellation attempt claims that "since I made changes to my reservation, I have to contact Turkish Airline Sales Office". I've made no changes to my reservation. Local ticket offices in Boston don't answer the phone.

Problem 2: Just called the insurance claims for information/guidance and as of now they DON'T count this coup attempt (and the overtaking of the airport) as "terrorism". The last terrorism event is the bombing on June 28. She said I can file the claim anyway and the under-writer may review it. When I asked her how they would possibly not count this as terrorism when FAA has currently banned all flights to/from Istanbul, she had no answer.

Should I just wait at this point, hoping that the US or FAA will declare this a "terrorism" event? Or wait, hoping that FAA will ban flights into August 15, so that Turkish will give me some kind of refund?

Very disappointed in the attitude and guidance of the insurance company. Had high expectations given the positive reviews that I'd read.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I guess the question is, if the flights have resumed by then, do you still want to go?

If yes, then probably best to wait it out and, chances are, you'll be able to go just fine.

If not, then you can use the "any" reason and eat the 25% loss -- which, by the way, is still vastly better than most insurance policies I've heard of, which don't allow for that.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by segacs
I guess the question is, if the flights have resumed by then, do you still want to go?

If yes, then probably best to wait it out and, chances are, you'll be able to go just fine.

If not, then you can use the "any" reason and eat the 25% loss -- which, by the way, is still vastly better than most insurance policies I've heard of, which don't allow for that.
Even if no, I see no advantage to doing something right away. In a few days, policies may be clarified and it will certainy be much easier to reach TK then.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by segacs

We're definitely not going. I guess I am lucky enough to get 75% in any scenario, but that is still $1,200, plus the insurance cost that I already forewent. If the policy covers a regular bombing event 100%, it should certainly cover shootings inside/around the airport and the entire overtaking and pillaging of the airport by an armed mob, which is why FAA cancelled the flights.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if no, I see no advantage to doing something right away. In a few days, policies may be clarified and it will certainy be much easier to reach TK then.
That was my gut feeling. I guess there is no benefit to doing anything before the situation settles down.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Perhaps the reason you can't get through on the phone is they are busy helping people who are stranded and/or unable to get home?

For at advice on getting a refund you will find plenty of info in the numerous threads with similar titles.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:40 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
If the USA Marine Corp occupied Logan Airport would you call that Terrorism.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UncleDude
If the USA Marine Corp occupied Logan Airport would you call that Terrorism.
No. But if they left and then large crowds of civilians stormed the airport, firing in the air, penetrating into all secure zones of the terminals, I would call it Terrorism. This is what I meant and it's all captured on live footage, btw. Nobody knows how many people got in, what they brought and what they may have left inside the airport. It's a complete s..tshow. FAA is absolutely right to stop the flights for now.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Call your credit card company and explain the situation. They might simply reverse the charge since the flights are cancelled and you're unable to reach them.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Flights resume tomorrow, so if you choose not to go, you should consider yourself very lucky to get anything back if your ticket is non refundable. So you will be doing well if you can get 75% from your insurance. TBH Istanbul today is probably safer than any major US city.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Where are you getting that info from? According to this article, flights are cancelled until September 1.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Where are you getting that info from? According to this article, flights are cancelled until September 1.
The FAA has removed the restrictions:

https://twitter.com/FAANews
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Please do NOT call Turkish Airlines about this this week, there are thousands of people, if not tens of thousands who have to fly this week, and have actually been inconvenienced. You have not been inconvenienced at all up until now.

Let's put it this way. If you had a flight on Delta Airlines for the same dates in August and there was a major Hurricane moving up the East Coast today, or yesterday, would you be repeatedly calling Delta now to change the ticket? No, you would not. Now just magnify the situation.

2. No airline in such a situation as TK has had the last few days wants to deal with passengers who have flights booked many weeks out. If and when you get through all they are going to tell you is that there is no reason for you to cancel and that you will be bound by the rules of whatever ticket you purchased.

3. Also, please direct me to that footage of, "civilians stormed the airport, firing in the air". You cannot because it did not happen.

Lastly, as noted, there is no FAA flight ban in place anymore, and none since about an hour after you posted your original post. A huge delegation spent at least five hours at the airport today looking over everything. This was in addition to significant US personnel that were there yesterday and a Herculean effort all night last night to inspect everything. So it has been approved clear and safe.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum, but I'm hoping that someone can help advise me since I am dealing with a TK ticket for a flight tomorrow. My family is booked on TK #80 from SFO to IST, then connecting on TK #607 to NBO. This trip has been a year in the making, and we aren't missing it. If TK takes off tomorrow, great, we'll fly them; however, I need to hedge my bets in case the plane doesn't get here in time. There is an option to fly SFO/IAD/ADD/NBO on UA and ET leaving at 10:05pm tomorrow which is well after the scheduled departure time of the TK flight. Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone have experience booking and canceling a next-day reservation? Does the 24-hour grace period still apply? Travelocity says the ticket needs to be purchased at least 7-days prior to travel, but Orbitz doesn't have that qualification. Orbitz just says 24-hour free cancelation.

2) Our TK tickets are roundtrip, if I purchase the outbound ticket separately, will they honor the return? Will they refund me the difference?

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MillValleyMom
If TK takes off tomorrow, great, we'll fly them.
I would say there is a very good chance of your original flights getting off tomorrow. The ban has been lifted and TK has announced intentions to position aircraft in the US (some of which have been sitting here on the ground since the coup) for the eastbound return flights tomorrow.

1) Does anyone have experience booking and canceling a next-day reservation? Does the 24-hour grace period still apply? Travelocity says the ticket needs to be purchased at least 7-days prior to travel, but Orbitz doesn't have that qualification. Orbitz just says 24-hour free cancelation.
Every airline/booking agency has a different policy. You mentioned United in your original post. With them (booking through United.com), you can cancel 24 hours from booking as long as the flight has not departed yet. Some use this loophole to get a "gate pass" to visit the United Club, cancelling their ticket after they get past security.

The official DOT policy is that airlines are required to provide an option to have a refund on your ticket within 24 hours of booking IF booked at least 7 days in advance. Some airlines, like United, are more generous and don't care how far in advance you are booking your ticket as long as it is cancelled within 24 hrs and prior to the scheduled departure. Others, like American, along with most online travel agencies like Travelocity, etc, follow the letter of the law and do not allow cancellation within 7 days of departure.

2) Our TK tickets are roundtrip, if I purchase the outbound ticket separately, will they honor the return? Will they refund me the difference?
If you do not take your outbound with Turkish, or you do not work with them to reschedule your outbound, they will cancel your return leg and you will not get a refund.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Jul 18, 2016 at 8:51 pm Reason: formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.