Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAA ban on US flights to/from Turkey, incl. all TK flights lifted, flights resume

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Update: The FAA lifted all restrictions on flights to and from Turkey at 1:45 p.m. EDT, July 18, 2016. TK flights to the US will resume Tuesday 19 July.

Effective 16 July the US Federal Aviation Administration have banned all flights by US operators to/from Turkey (there are currently no US carriers operating passenger services to Turkey). It also banned all flights from Turkey to the US by any operator, this includes all TK flights to nine US cities including 3x daily to JFK as well as IAD, MIA, SFO, LAX, IAH, BOS, ATL and ORD.

NOTAM (notice to airmen):

Print Wikipost

FAA ban on US flights to/from Turkey, incl. all TK flights lifted, flights resume

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm traveling from MIA on the 30th? Should I seek other options now or wait. I'm fully willing to fly TK despite from what happened.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:34 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
from what the other top floating threat on the coup had reported. only flights due to take off between July 15 and 20th qualify for full reimbursement upon cancelation. I managed to do so today with no issue, which the folks on the phone yesterday weren't' aware or just checked online and said ur flight is still on, can't cancel without penalty. today went much smoother. I'm only cancelling because i have to travel this week no matter what otherwise I would keep my ticket. it wouldn't be great if traveling in business and you get to the lounge and its still in the shape being described.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
One possible solution is to see if they will rebook via YYZ. There is no similar ban to/from Canada and flights are operating basically normally.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The TSA and Turkish General Directorate of Civil Aviation concluded the review of IST today with a seemingly positive result for the FAA to consider.

http://www.ucuyoruzz.com/ucus-yasagi-kalkacak-mi (in Turkish)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starflyer is correct. My sources tell me US flights will resume Wednesday morning.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with IST bound services possibly starting tomorrow night (Tuesday).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:09 am

Endorsing to other carriers?

In situations such as this, instead of asking or settling for a refund, can (should) the affected passengers not ask for an endorsement to another Star Alliance carrier?

What is the 'legal' status, from the perspective of EU & US law?

Presumably, buying a new ticket will be much more expensive than the price paid for the existing ticket, especially if a one-way ticket has to be purchased for the return portion of a trip that originated in Europe.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes carpediem, and has been written, many people are getting FIM'd onto other carriers. The problem is of course the masses of people trying to do so and TK not having enough authorized agents.......and huge magnitudes of people flying in a weeks to 11 months time, jamming the system, and making it difficult for those who have pressing/imminent travel plans.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:26 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by carpediem22
No EU compensation is due owing to the fact that the events were outside TK's control.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:25 pm
Accor 25+ Badge

The FAA has lifted the ban. TK flights will resume Tuesday 19 July.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. TK has confirmed thusfar that JFK will operate, and intends to resume full schedule by Wednesday.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by starflyergold
The FAA has lifted the ban. TK flights will resume Tuesday 19 July.
Sigh of relief.

Could you give me a source?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Sigh of relief.

Could you give me a source?
It's on FAA Twitter: The FAA ‏@FAANews 21m21 minutes ago
The FAA lifted all restrictions on flights to and from #Turkey at 1:45 p.m. EDT, July 18, 2016. #aviation
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
In situations such as this, instead of asking or settling for a refund, can (should) the affected passengers not ask for an endorsement to another Star Alliance carrier?

Affected pax meaning pax on cancelled flights will be rebooked to Star Alliance partners/OAL. This is the duty of TK under EU Reg. 261/04 for flights originating in EU.

If you by affected pax mean pax who do not wish to fly with TK despite that their TK flight is operational, these pax will not be able to get a full refund or free rebooking - it would be very expensive for TK to do this (and I really can't see any reasonable reasons why TK should do this when things are getting back to normal this quickly).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)

Presumably, buying a new ticket will be much more expensive than the price paid for the existing ticket, especially if a one-way ticket has to be purchased for the return portion of a trip that originated in Europe.
TK has been very generous with rebooking passengers, and routinely endorsed them to other carriers.
A friend of mine was scheduled to fly OSL-IST-ATL today, and TK rebooked him on KLM and DL (OSL-AMS-ATL). Not even Star Alliance. Infrequent flyer, first time on TK, rock-bottom economy fare.

The greatest issue was that he had to go to the airport, as getting through on the phone turned out impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.