Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Let's keep this thread specific to flight and travel information. For those members who are OMNI-enabled and wish to discuss political or non-travel/flight aspects of this, they may do so at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1778571-military-coup-turkey.html We'd request that such posts not take place in this Turkish Airlines thread. Thanks.

------
IST Airport is open again and TK flights are arriving and departing. US flights remain cancelled. TK have extended the following waiver:

Due to this situation, for individual and group reservations, provided that:
  • Flights operated by Turkish Airlines ( including AnadoluJet trademark )
  • Departing/arriving to Turkey (including domestic flights) and/or transit flights via Turkey
  • Flights operated between 15 July 2016 20 July 2016 (inclusive)
  • Ticketed on/before 15 July 2016
  • Tickets are revalidated untıl 15 August 2016 (ınclusive)

disregardıng of related fare rules

1) All Rebooking/ReRouting will be made without any charge provided that new destination is same IATA region & same cabin class

2) Refund requests:

a) Unused tickets: refund will be made without any charge; or

b) For partially used tickets, when planned trip is not complete; the remaining flights will be refunded without any charge.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

Validity of ticket can be extended until 15 August 2016 (inclusive) without any fare difference or penalty.
What to do if you want to change plans outside the waiver?

You are out of luck. If the flights are operating you will not get a refund or be able to change flights for free. You may wish to check the conditions of your travel insurance. If your country advises against travel to Turkey your travel insurance may cover the costs, however currently neither the US, UK or any EU countries have such advisories.

If your journey involves a TK flight to/from the US these are currently banned. You should be able to change these or get a refund by contacting the airline. This will only apply while the FAA ban is in operation.

As of July 16, the USA has banned all inbound flights from Turkey. Knowledgeable sources indicate flights should restart on 20 July.

Other airports, including SAW, are operating relatively normal.

Live information about the events unfolding can be found via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq
Print Wikipost

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Flights are landing but non are taking off. Soon the planes would start overflowing over the parameter fences of the airport lol

Authorities will soon run out of parking spaces if they don't allow flights to leave. I hope no accidents happen with all the pressure and strain on the facilities and personnel.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:57 am

Aeroplan biz class redemption, KBP - IST - YUL, leaving tomorrow at 10AM.
Should I be calling Aeroplan right now?
What are the odds they will reroute me?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:59 am

I am not even sure if any of the airport workers back there to help with the aircraft turnaround. This could be a big mess to manage.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Originally Posted by nocturne14
I am not even sure if any of the airport workers back there to help with the aircraft turnaround. This could be a big mess to manage.
A TK from JFK has just arrived.. They don't even know what happened overnight lol
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by fruzmatik
Aeroplan biz class redemption, KBP - IST - YUL, leaving tomorrow at 10AM.
Should I be calling Aeroplan right now?
What are the odds they will reroute me?

Thanks!
Call them now, because you'll be fighting tooth and nail to get anywhere with CS.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:47 am

Several international flights are slowly getting out now...DUS, TPE, KUL, CGK.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by beduin
Flights are landing but non are taking off.
According to https://www.flightradar24.com/THY24, TK24 to TPE has just taken off.

Shuly
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:00 am

I just got a Miles & Smiles newsletter informing me of options for miles redemption in Turkey.

Talk about tone-deaf.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:16 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Flights to the US are currently prohibited by the FAA

Per the Federal Aviation Administration’s notice to airmen (NOTAM) dated July 15, 2016, U.S. airline carriers are prohibited from flying to or from Istanbul and Ankara airports. All airline carriers, regardless of country of registry, are prohibited from flying into the United States from Turkey either directly or via third country.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:25 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Hungry airline passengers stormed Star Alliance Turkish Airlines CIP lounge in Istanbul
At The Star Alliance Turkish Airlines CIP Lounge at Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul is perceived as the best airline lounge in the world by many.

Today this lounge was the scene of desperate passengers left without water and food to storm the gates of the lounge and helped themselves with whatever food was left.

In the meantime tweets say Turkish Airlines quietly opened their lounge for all passengers and are keeping passengers in the lounge updated. even though this was not announced the lounge is filling up quickly.

Star alliance member Turkish airlines' check-in desks in Istanbul are occupied by passengers, and not by customer service agents....
http://www.eturbonews.com/72933/help...ce-turkish-air
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Flights to the US are currently prohibited by the FAA
TK Customer support says that they are not rebooking passengers, as they are considering this an "indefinite delay" and not a cancellation.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:39 am

I have a friend stuck in IST right now. Few minutes before boarding, passengers were asked to shelter in the bathrooms. Later, the airport had no employees, no security and it was chaotic. She says that the employees are gradually returning but right now there is no one to ask questions about rescheduling, etc.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:43 am

The Global Announcement probably needs an update as IST is not closed (London flight taking off now) and the coup seems to be effectively over.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:40 am

I just called to attempt to get the return portion of my ticket refunded, but justfly can't even get anyone on their travel desk. TK has yet to update the travel agents, but has posted in the website that they will refund anything between July 15 and July 17. I am not even going to try to call them till I am back in the US. It is not an overly expensive ticket, but flying through Istanbul with a seven hours layover is simply not an option.

Carfield
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:46 am
Accor 25+ Badge

TK waiver

TK have now issued a waiver:

Announcement from Turkish Airlines to our Valued Passengers and Dear Nation,

With the unflinching will of the people, Turkey has waken to a new day with a much stronger sense of democracy and freedom.

Upon the call of our President H.E. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan our operations at İstanbul Atatrk Airport is now back to normal and flights have begun.

As of the 16th of July by 14:30 (EEST) all our flight operations will resume as planned. Grateful to our Dear Nation, we extend our thanks to our passengers for their understanding for the inconvenience.

Due to this situation, for individual and group reservations, provided that:
  • Flights operated by Turkish Airlines ( including AnadoluJet trademark )
  • Departing/arriving to Turkey (including domestic flights) and/or transit flights via Turkey
  • Flights operated between 15 July 2016 17 July 2016 (inclusive)
  • Ticketed on/before 15 July 2016
  • Tickets are revalidated untıl 15 August 2016 (ınclusive)
disregardıng of related fare rules

1) All Rebooking/ReRouting will be made without any charge provided that new destination is same IATA region & same cabin class

2) Refund requests:

a) Unused tickets: refund will be made without any charge; or

b) For partially used tickets, when planned trip is not complete; the remaining flights will be refunded without any charge.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

Validity of ticket can be extended until 15 August 2016 (inclusive) without any fare difference or penalty.

Regards,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.