Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Explosions and gun fire heard at IST airport (28 June 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous serious incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those impacted by the incident. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post there)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator

Please note this thread may be moved to the Europe forum shortly
Print Wikipost

Explosions and gun fire heard at IST airport (28 June 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:22 pm

Newswire: groundstop on all direct US-IST Flights

Just read on a news site that the US has stopped all direct flights between the US and IST until further notice. As this is from a general news, not aviation or travel, site, I'm not sure how accurate their details are.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Just read on a news site that the US has stopped all direct flights between the US and IST until further notice. As this is from a general news, not aviation or travel, site, I'm not sure how accurate their details are.
I wonder if that is an old headline. All I'm finding is that the FAA lifted the suspension about 18 hours ago.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Reminder: This thread is not about politics but issues affecting all of us as regular travellers passing regularly through the third busiest airport in Europe in the wake of this tragedy.

Turkish politics and other geopolitical musings are better suited to OMNI.

Any posts violating these rules will be deleted and are open to disciplinary action as per FT rules as outlined in the wiki above.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I'd like to known the difference between this and BRU attacks, how IST managed to resume flights so soon. Or is it just that the damage wasn't as bad?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I'd like to known the difference between this and BRU attacks, how IST managed to resume flights so soon. Or is it just that the damage wasn't as bad?
The Brussels blast happened further into the building in departures and took out a lot of the infrastructure (systems, cables etc.).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Location of the damage, possibly the physical damage wasn't as bad, etc. With BRU all the blasts were inside the building. With IST, much of the gunfire and at least one of the blasts was outside the building.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:47 pm

Hello! My wife and I are supposed to fly through IST to Italy with ~24 hour layovers both ways in September. We had planned to see the city but with the safety concerns I'm having second thoughts. Do any of you think TK would allow for a refund based on the recent attack? I'm TK-Gold if that matters.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:48 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by flo-e
Would appreciate if the thread could focus on the immediate impact for travelers scheduled to go through IST rather than the analysis of well the intelligence services perform(ed).

I am booked to travel long-haul through IST on Friday Jul 1. Just tried to rebook onto other carriers. As I booked through Expedia, I was referred from TK to the travel agent who finally informed me that the airline only allows date changes (onto other TK flights) and free refunds.
This afternoon. TK sent an e-mail (I guess to all FF members) that situation is back to normal and all flights are operating normally. Looking at the TAV app it is really the case - some arrivals are late, though.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:52 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by truncated

FWIW in March I flew JFK-IST-LON-IST-BOS with 6 days in Istanbul, a week in the UK and another half day stopover in IST on the way back and yet no SSSS.
+1

I fly with both TK and AA and I am never SSSS'ed on AA.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by bigmarley4
Hello! My wife and I are supposed to fly through IST to Italy with ~24 hour layovers both ways in September. We had planned to see the city but with the safety concerns I'm having second thoughts. Do any of you think TK would allow for a refund based on the recent attack? I'm TK-Gold if that matters.
Only for the next couple of days, not September.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Well I learned something from this terrible tragedy-

Total passengers

1 London Heathrow Airport (UK) 74,985,748
2 Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (F) 65,766,986
3 Istanbul Atatürk Airport (T) 61,322,729
4 Frankfurt Airport (G) 61,032,022
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
This afternoon. TK sent an e-mail (I guess to all FF members) that situation is back to normal and all flights are operating normally. Looking at the TAV app it is really the case - some arrivals are late, though.
Weird, I am a M&S member and have 2 pending bookings with TK (one next week and one next month) and I did not receive an email about this. I'm not worried about the situation and won't change my travel plans so I don't really care but that's an additional proof of how inconsistent TK can be sometimes.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:10 am

Last night I arrived from Germany to Istanbul, everything looked same to me, just a little bit more crowd possibly due to cancelled flights a day before.. If I didn't know about the incident, I would think there is a renovation going on in some parts.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
So, according to the WSJ, they did enter through the arrivals and one managed to get up to the departures:

Officials working to reconstruct the attack said it started with a suicide blast at a metal detector at the ground-floor entrance to the international terminal. In the ensuing chaos, the officials said, a second bomber raced past the checkpoint and reached the departures area upstairs—a far deeper penetration than the authorities had first reported.

“Four policemen were running after him,” said Hasan Ebubekir Ahmed, a 20-year-old student who was waiting in the departure area for a flight home to Somalia. He said the man was no older than 40, clad in black and carrying a handgun. “The police were shouting at him, ‘Stop! Stop!’ but he just wouldn’t.”

The bomber, eventually wounded by a customs officer’s gunfire, fell to the floor and, as his handgun slid away, detonated a suicide vest in a dramatic scene caught on surveillance video. He died in an orange blaze, killing the customs official in the blast, the officials said.

The third bomber remained outside the airport and blew himself up after an exchange of gunfire with police, killing at least seven people including taxi drivers parked nearby, the officials said.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Well I learned something from this terrible tragedy-

Total passengers

1 London Heathrow Airport (UK) 74,985,748
2 Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (F) 65,766,986
3 Istanbul Atatürk Airport (T) 61,322,729
4 Frankfurt Airport (G) 61,032,022
Third largest airport in Europe, and one of the top 20 in the world.

In terms of the operations of the airport's primary carrier and other flights, this airport has bounced back quite well operationally despite this attack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.