Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Explosions and gun fire heard at IST airport (28 June 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous serious incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those impacted by the incident. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post there)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator

Please note this thread may be moved to the Europe forum shortly
Print Wikipost

Explosions and gun fire heard at IST airport (28 June 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm at IST right now. I came in on TK 4 from JFK. We were not diverted. The crew made no announcements about the attack during the flight and said nothing after we landed. Just the normal "we hope you enjoyed your flight etc..." If I hadn't checked my phone i'd have no idea. The int'l connections area was a mess. Huge lines, people stranded. Absolutely bo one from TK around to let anyone know what's going on. Half the flights on the board are cancelled most of the others delayed. I got up to the lounge which was closed for a while before finally taking pax in. Again there are ZERO TK staff here who knows what's going on w flights. It's a complete zoo. For now my flight is on the board.
Stay safe!!!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by fracmeister
I flew out of IST Sunday morning and as you know they have a sort of double screening procedure. Just as you enter the door they have a screening of bags but there didn't seem to be any armed people there. Once past that screening all the check-in stuff and another layer of screening, this time there were firearm carrying security/police... Same holds true for Izmir, the only other airport in Turkey I went through on this trip. This is very sad news indeed with now (as I write) "36 dead, 147 injured, Turkish officials say" with some reports saying 50 dead. We really do have to solve this problem....
Interesting... how someone could then enter further from this area with guns, bombs, etc. Inside help / Airport worker / Fake Id's???
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:36 pm

First & foremost: To those affected by the violence in IST, know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of many abroad.

I was in Orlando this past weekend, at the airport no less, and the tragic events of two weeks ago were still very much on everyones' minds. I know it'll be some time before things get back to normal again.

I'd still be willing to fly through, even visit IST. My biggest fear still would be getting haraSSSSed by TSA after visiting IST rather than any actual violence I'd see in IST. If I want violence, I can just go to Chicago, with ~320 homicides / 1900 shootings year to date (per http://www.heyjackass.com). I'm not familiar with the current situation in Turkey, but I'm betting Chicago still beats them out.

Originally Posted by califcoast
So glad they have the initial security checkpoint, wonder if more airports will institute that measure.
The DME, BRU, & IST attacks both show a major flaw with our concept of security. Creating more layers of security won't stop attacks. It just pushes them further away from the aircraft. People still are being killed.

All major airports have security checkpoints. Some have security checkpoints before you enter the security checkpoints. Soon they'll add security checkpoints for the security checkpoints before you get to the security checkpoints.

By the time the attackers have reached the airport, it's really too late. This is where the intelligence community needs to go back to its cold-war methods, ie: field agents instead of computer jockeys who want to do everything remotely.

It's by sheer dumb luck that someone didn't pull this off in the USA, especially when the ineptitude of the TSA forces 1,000+ people to stand for hours in queues. I fear it's only a matter of time before we see a similar attack at a US airport.

Orlando got lucky this time. If the same attack had played out at one of the Disney parks, we'd see a noticeable drop in Florida tourism.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
Interesting... how someone could then enter further from this area with guns, bombs, etc. Inside help / Airport worker / Fake Id's???
Reports of the first one blowing himself up at the entrance, enabling others to enter the terminal, it was the heroic effort of the officer shooting down the assailant that kept the casualties down (in this case a better outcome) with a lag of time before he was able to blow himself up inside.

Credits are due for the airport security though, they didn't allow this happen inside the terminal past security. I was at IST couple months ago, they wouldn't even allow you to loiter near the first security entrance area, much less taking photos.

I feel bad for my Turkish friends, who run tourism-related businesses, things will get worse before they get better.

Originally Posted by KRSW
I'd still be willing to fly through, even visit IST. My biggest fear still would be getting haraSSSSed by TSA after visiting IST rather than any actual violence I'd see in IST.
Exactly my same (and the only) concern, even when I am merely transiting through IST to other parts of the world. I still feel safer in Istanbul than I was in any parts of South America.

Last edited by vincewy; Jun 29, 2016 at 12:34 am
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: LH
Would appreciate if the thread could focus on the immediate impact for travelers scheduled to go through IST rather than the analysis of well the intelligence services perform(ed).

I am booked to travel long-haul through IST on Friday Jul 1. Just tried to rebook onto other carriers. As I booked through Expedia, I was referred from TK to the travel agent who finally informed me that the airline only allows date changes (onto other TK flights) and free refunds.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm at IST right now. I came in on TK 4 from JFK. We were not diverted. The crew made no announcements about the attack during the flight and said nothing after we landed. Just the normal "we hope you enjoyed your flight etc..." If I hadn't checked my phone i'd have no idea. The int'l connections area was a mess. Huge lines, people stranded. Absolutely bo one from TK around to let anyone know what's going on. Half the flights on the board are cancelled most of the others delayed. I got up to the lounge which was closed for a while before finally taking pax in. Again there are ZERO TK staff here who knows what's going on w flights. It's a complete zoo. For now my flight is on the board.
As others have said. Keep your head down and stay safe.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I'd still be willing to fly through, even visit IST. My biggest fear still would be getting haraSSSSed by TSA after visiting IST rather than any actual violence I'd see in IST.
Originally Posted by vincewy
Exactly my same (and the only) concern, even when I am merely transiting through IST to other parts of the world.
Last year, first my husband and then me, we transited in IST on our way to the US.
We went then again to the US, together this time, going MIA last Feb (with kids) and JFK last April (only the 2 of us), and we got no SSSS.
So, theoretically, simply transiting in IST with stopover or not, doesn't automatically get everyone the SSSS treat.

About the attack: I live in BRU. No place is 100% safe. The only difference between security before entering the airport and not, is that IST is again up and running few hours later. At BRU took a lot more.
No way to avoid casualties with any kind of security access screening, though...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Any idea if its safe to transit in Istanbul? Am flying through Istanbul next mth on my way to London
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by flo-e
As I booked through Expedia, I was referred from TK to the travel agent who finally informed me that the airline only allows date changes (onto other TK flights) and free refunds.
Thanks for this info!

My wife was scheduled to fly back home through IST on Friday. Her corporate TA advised her to just buy another ticket on another carrier, which is what she did (and get a refund for the return part of her original TK ticket). I interpreted the TK announcement to mean that rerouting onto other carriers would also be possible, but apparently that is not the case?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by clifford79
Thanks for this info!

My wife was scheduled to fly back home through IST on Friday. Her corporate TA advised her to just buy another ticket on another carrier, which is what she did (and get a refund for the return part of her original TK ticket). I interpreted the TK announcement to mean that rerouting onto other carriers would also be possible, but apparently that is not the case?
I also misinterpreted it. Apparently not onto other carriers. Not sure if it is difference once the flight is actually cancelled.
I would have cancelled and booked a new ticket but two days in advance there are no other options for less than double what I paid for my TK ticket.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
I'd have no issues transiting IST.
The DME, BRU, & IST attacks both show a major flaw with our concept of security. Creating more layers of security won't stop attacks. It just pushes them further away from the aircraft. People still are being killed.
Agreed. And the impact is greater if the bottleneck is targetted as we saw here and in BRU. Ironically, the solution may be faster security.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by kylie79
Any idea if its safe to transit in Istanbul? Am flying through Istanbul next mth on my way to London
Personally, I'd be fine transiting but not exiting the airport. The attack yesterday showed that the security at IST works - for people already inside...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Personally, I'd be fine transiting but not exiting the airport. The attack yesterday showed that the security at IST works - for people already inside...
If we don't feel safe transiting via IST, and we're flying in mid-July outside of the TK free rerouting window, are there any ways to affordably get rerouted via another city?

I've got TK Elite if that's relevant.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:54 am

Flights are arriving and departing IST

My daughter is on the TK65 BKK -IST scheduled arrival 17:20 expected 16:45
Overnight connection to TLS ( I don't have this flight number )

TK in BKK advised that flights are continuing but my daughter wass advised to overnight in the airport. There are very long queues to exit and enter the airport due to enhanced security.
No taxis available at the airport.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
D@mn, d@mn, d@mn.

I have wanted to see Istanbul since I was 10 years old and read a book about a girl in the old part of the city. The TK fares from NYC to BCN had convinced me the detour to IST was worth it and I was ready to book our Thanksgiving trip to Spain via Turkey. I suspect my nervous companion will now insist on the AA direct flight to BCN.

So sorry for those killed and injured in this attack.
While most Americans are usually too quick to panic over terrorist attacks, this is no time to visit Istanbul. Go to Barcelona now, go to Istanbul later.

Originally Posted by kylie79
Define safe. There's a sliding scale. The safety of transiting Istanbul is somewhere between transiting an American airport and transiting Baghdad. The odds are 99%+ you'll be fine. As the facts are right now, I'd take that trip. But I wouldn't be looking to book that itinerary.

It reminds me of transiting Bogota (on my way to Quito) many years ago, when Columbia was pretty much at war with the drug cartels. Before I left the US, plainclothes customs agents did surveillance at our gate and then pulled people aside to question them. At Bogota, the airport was lined with anti-aircraft guns and there was all sorts of military at the airport. Was it safe? I don't really know, but I made it. I wouldn't have recommended doing the same.

EDIT: BTW, my family all got a temporary (2 month) TSA "SSSS" for a brief stopover at IST 18 months ago. I assume anyone doing the same these days would get a similar unpleasant souvenir (although you might not get one with a straight there-and-back to Turkey). That's enough of a disincentive to me not to visit IST right now. But I highly doubt anyone just transiting IST is going to be SSSS'ed.

Last edited by iahphx; Jun 29, 2016 at 6:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.