Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish or Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Turkish or Lufthansa?

Hello all,

I need to plan for a regular series of trips over the next few years from LHR to Tbilisi. I can either travel Lufthansa via Munich or Turkish via Istanbul. Flight schedules are convenient on both airlines.

If you had to decide one airline/transit airport to commit to, would you choose LH/MUN or TA/IST?

Would appreciate all feedback, good and bad.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
No brainier - (for me) - LH/MUC. It is a very pleasant airport.

BTW, MUN is in Venezuela :-)
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
I personally am more inclined towards TK. I like the overall shopping mall-esque vibe that it has over the more traditional MUC airport.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by EK788
I personally am more inclined towards TK. I like the overall shopping mall-esque vibe that it has over the more traditional MUC airport.
A lovely airport (with possible the best lounge in the world), where you might be stuck for many hours trying to get help from incompetent agents who couldn't care less. Many tales about non-existing IRROPS handling in IST on this forum. This is a definite factor to consider for winter travel.

Another issue to consider would be the FFP. If you already have status / intend to use your existing FFP of one of these two, be aware reciprocal earnings between LH & TK are zero for many fare classes.

If it's really only between these two, I would commit to LH & MUC.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
OP, you're comparing the best and the worst airport in Europe for a transit.

Really a no brainer, if you're only looking for a seamless connection.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
OP, you're comparing the best and the worst airport in Europe for a transit.

Really a no brainer, if you're only looking for a seamless connection.
But I'm not comparing them, am I? I've never even set foot in Munich airport before and it's 20 years since I last transited through Istanbul. That is why I am asking for advice.

But I get the message, thanks for the feedback all.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by MacPie
But I'm not comparing them, am I? I've never even set foot in Munich airport before and it's 20 years since I last transited through Istanbul. That is why I am asking for advice.

But I get the message, thanks for the feedback all.
Not sure why everyone is focusing on the transfer. TK has a much better product, especially in business class. Which cabin will you fly? Do you have status with Star Alliance? The IST lounge is wonderful. Service will be hit or miss on both. Granted, if anything goes wrong, LH handles it much better than TK typically.

Shuly
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by shuly
Not sure why everyone is focusing on the transfer.
Because in the winter (late November to March) IST can be a huge mess as soon as it snows...?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Lefly
Because in the winter (late November to March) IST can be a huge mess as soon as it snows...?
It is only 10 days heavy snow in Istanbul in whole year.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ululaz
That's more than in St Andrews, Scotland...
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by shuly
Not sure why everyone is focusing on the transfer.
Because that's what the OP is asking - "one airline/transit airport". And at that game, LH&MUC win, hands down.

Originally Posted by ululaz
Yeah, but the problem is that it doesn't even take heavy snow for IST to become a huge mess.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
I will just add that I am either arriving to or transiting via IST 4 times per month, while i visit MUC only twice per year. I so wish it would be the opposite.

The only advantage that IST would have that I can think of is the TK lounge. But, while it is nice, you'll see after a while that there are few things which people forget to mention and it will start to annoy you. For example, it is not the most conveniently located for the transfer (yes for departures), it can get warm and laud and busy. And its huge. Yes, it is great to escape from the crowds at the IST, but in MUC you don't even feel that you need to go to the lounge to escape the crowds. (I know that this won't go well with many people which love the lounge. So please be gentle :-) )
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by potjernik
I will just add that I am either arriving to or transiting via IST 4 times per month, while i visit MUC only twice per year. I so wish it would be the opposite.

The only advantage that IST would have that I can think of is the TK lounge.
Price. That is one big advantage for people choosing the TK/Istanbul route. I imagine that is mostly why IST is overflowing with people, which makes it a horrible place to transit, unless you have lots of time and status to get into their lounge.

For most people, price is a very strong determinant. If OP's work is covering the cost, then OP can easily choose whichever transit location. (although regrettably my employer dumps my preferred flight recommendations and picks out the cheap ones, according to policy).

I flew LH but out of FRA - wasn't impressed either by their business class or economy. Loved the arrival lounge though.

My generic recommendation: don't transit in IST unless you have a good reason for wanting that (price, miles, visiting Istanbul, etc.)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
That's more than in St Andrews, Scotland.
Makes you wonder why St Andrews isn't Europe's largest airline hub, then.

Johan
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:28 am

Sometimes I wonder if some of the users complaining about IST crowds or amenities (outside the lounge) have ever been to any bad airports... Even without the lounge it has been perfectly manageable for me at IST, go to near the gate 205-208 (or so) part of the terminal, it will be quieter there.

For me, I think it's nice to see people from all over the world at IST, more heterogenous than anywhere else I would dare to say. I think some people don't like this 'feature'.

That being said, MUC is extremely functional, but a bit dull.

TK is a better overall product than LH.

In case something goes as unplanned, then you wish you had taken LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.