How strict is TK on cabin baggage weight?

Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
How strict is TK on cabin baggage weight?

Flying from SFO to IST to europe in business. I typically carry on my luggage. 1 computer bag about 4kg and 1 piece of luggage that meets US carry on size but weights about 18kg typically when full. I see the TK stated limit is 8kg per carry-on. Will they weigh my larger bag and force checking it?

Last edited by blueman2; Apr 12, 2016 at 9:48 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
It really depends on the country and the check-in staff training and diligence. In most of the countries where I fly from/to with TK they hardly check even the check-in luggage. In Europe (Brussels) they are more strict. I suspect in the US they would be more strict than other places.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
As potjernik says, it depends on the departure point. But, why not follow the rules? Then you would have one less thing to stress about
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I've flown TK from YYZ, BKK, BOM and IST and they have never weighed my carry on bag.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:42 pm

Are you Elite/Elite+?

Just finished 6 segments in last 2 weeks and was never checked once, but saw many econ pax being measured and weighed (PRG, BEG, IST), then tagged as appropriate or unhappy pax forced to check the bag.

Nothing noticed for J or *gold pax.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purelywasted
Are you Elite/Elite+?

Just finished 6 segments in last 2 weeks and was never checked once, but saw many econ pax being measured and weighed (PRG, BEG, IST), then tagged as appropriate or unhappy pax forced to check the bag.

I am TK elite and *A Gold. Traveling in business class. At this point, I have decided to take advice above and just check the bag, but bringing a smaller bag with change of clothes. This will be the first time I have checked a bag in over 7 years though! That includes multi-week trips to India. Makes me nervous just thinking about it.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: TK Elite+, AB Plat, IC Amb, HH Dia, *W Plat, MR Gold, CC Conc., Accor Gold
My experience:
I have flown TK more than 20 times now (as Elite+ in Business), mostly from Europe via IST to Asia or South America.
I have never checked a bag - instead traveling with 1 or 2 on-board trolleys.
Nobody has ever weighted my luggage.

My advice:
Since you are already thinking about taking a smaller carry-on bag:
Why not make it two regular carry-on bags and completely avoid checking anything in:
That's what you are allowed to do traveling in Business class - and 9kg per bag will certainly be no problem with TK.

Or just take your (very good) chances:
If you prefer to go with just one carry-on - just do it.
The worst thing that could happen is that you will be asked to gate-check your bag.
That's not worse than checking it in in the first place (no additional cost).
It may even work to your advantage:
Sometimes the last bag to be loaded is the first bag to get unloaded. :-)
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by purelywasted
Are you Elite/Elite+?

Exactly my experience as well. I'm E+ and fly mostly TK in J and I very rarely get my carry-on weighted, but at the airports I fly the most from, it seems like they pretty much weigh all Y passengers carry-on luggage.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:50 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by potjernik
I suspect in the US they would be more strict than other places.

the usa has to be one of the most lax places when it comes to carry on dimensions, weight, etc.

including when i have flown on tk

europe and asia is where i find they are ridiculously strict. including in nrt being asked to remove 1 lb of weight from my carry on bag and placed into a plastic bag (that they graciously provided me) to carry on

Originally Posted by toastedcafe
why not follow the rules? Then you would have one less thing to stress about
because the rules are stupid. especially the carry on limits from eu carriers.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
Originally Posted by cur
including in nrt being asked to remove 1 lb of weight from my carry on bag and placed into a plastic bag (that they graciously provided me) to carry on
I guess there must be something about NRT because it's the only place where they ever asked me to weight my carry on in J.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Well, I am sitting on TK80 right now. Internet is much faster than others have said. It is free for Business only (seat number and last name). Economy is $15 for 24 hours. Not bad.

As for the cabin baggage, well, they were VERY strict at check in at SFO. They weighed everything. Even my wife's purse!!!! But luckily, I heeded toastedcafe's advice and had only small carryons. But there were lots of business class passengers not happy with having to repack stuff from cabin baggage.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:29 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by smellme
I guess there must be something about NRT because it's the only place where they ever asked me to weight my carry on in J.
this was in y using *gold line.

1 lb over.

gave me ana plastic bag (with hard plastic handles) and told to transfer 1lb into said plastic bag

needless to say for convenience i put the bag back into my bag

it was a really nice plastic bag btw so i wasn't complaining
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:14 pm

From Astana to IST I have stretched the concept of cabin luggage to its extreme! Wheelie, carry-on size soft bag, large shopping bag, small shopping bag, brief case, camera bag. No one seemed to be concerned. When I changed at IST for LHR, again no problems. 50kg of hold baggage was correct although it was two large cases plus a bundle of 2m long curtain rails.

The cat travelled the next day by LH.

Last edited by Greenpen; Apr 22, 2016 at 1:19 pm Reason: Addition
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My experience in the US is limited to ORD, but there the boarding process is best described as total chaos. I can't imagine them looking for overweight bags.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
In OSL a week ago I was made to run to a shop and buy a plastic bag to transfer 1.5kg of stuff from my carryon to it. Flying J. Absolutely disgusting check-in agent, not because she was enforcing the rules, but because of her awful attitude and rudeness.
Made a point of packing that 1.5kg plastic bag back to the suitcase in front of her.

In IAH, no-one cared.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.