Wiki Posts
Search

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Turkish Airlines just announced new destinations. Flights to Gotham City and Metropolis will start in March 2016. Looks like business class will get limited edition movie tie-ins.

http://www.experiencetheskies.com/tu...-and-superman/
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Anyone has more info on how to get one of those cards?? When I click the banner it just sends me to the Miles & Smile Website.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw the ads on the Super Bowl yesterday. Spending this money now seems like the equivalent of lighting money on fire. Any Turkish ads during a Super Bowl seem kind of crazy -- it's not like "regular" Americans are EVER going to fly to Turkey -- but now? Heck, my visit to Turkey last year put me on the TSA SSSS list and the recent bombings would discourage even me from recommending an Istanbul vacation. I guess nobody in Turkish's HQ got the memo that they're supposed to be a real, for-profit company.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: miles&smiles
Originally Posted by iahphx
I saw the ads on the Super Bowl yesterday. Spending this money now seems like the equivalent of lighting money on fire. Any Turkish ads during a Super Bowl seem kind of crazy -- it's not like "regular" Americans are EVER going to fly to Turkey -- but now? Heck, my visit to Turkey last year put me on the TSA SSSS list and the recent bombings would discourage even me from recommending an Istanbul vacation. I guess nobody in Turkish's HQ got the memo that they're supposed to be a real, for-profit company.
I think there might still be a world outside of the US
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezoff
I think there might still be a world outside of the US
Well, thanks for the geography lesson, but there's obviously not a "world outside the USA" when you're advertising on the USA television station broadcasting the Super Bowl. I'm sorry, but advertising a Turkish airline during the Super Bowl (this year, no less) is exactly like lighting your money on fire.

BTW, as you seem somewhat unfamiliar with USA customs, this is the most expensive advertising you can do in the USA.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:39 pm

Well, thanks for the geography lesson, but there's obviously not a "world outside the USA" when you're advertising on the USA television station broadcasting the Super Bowl. I'm sorry, but advertising a Turkish airline during the Super Bowl (this year, no less) is exactly like lighting your money on fire.

BTW, as you seem somewhat unfamiliar with USA customs, this is the most expensive advertising you can do in the USA.
You are more than welcome. And no, I am not unfamiliar with US customs, and I don't think I need to be understand basic broadcast principles. The super bowl is getting more popular in Europe and Turkey so it could be that they trying to reach a larger audience than just the American
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I guess TK wants to be exposed more in the media - I wouldn't mind my boys getting one of those cards though - they are TK G.

The Super Bowl is getting more popular outside the US IMO - here in Scandinavia they have super bowl evening on TV and Mr. used to watch it live every year (the final) before he has kids - he is not from the US.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
And no, visiting Turkey does NOT grant you a SSSS on your BPs.
There are many reasons why SSSS gets assigned, from randomness to last minute bookings.
You can be shocked to know how many Americans do US-IST-Europe and on long layovers just leave the airport and take advantage of the free Istanbul tour or free night offered by TK.
By now TSA should have arranged dedicated "ex-Turkey" secondary checks throuhghout.

Though for the future who knows, this might be the case. After all it's your government who fully supports Turkey leadership, hence I won't wonder for any inconsistency.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are more than welcome. And no, I am not unfamiliar with US customs, and I don't think I need to be understand basic broadcast principles. The super bowl is getting more popular in Europe and Turkey so it could be that they trying to reach a larger audience than just the American
The way advertising works is that you buy it for the relevant market: like the ads are completely different in France for the Olympics from what they are in the USA.

I have no opinion on whether it's worth advertising Turkish Airlines for Super Bowl viewers in, say, Europe. But it is absurd to spend that money to advertise to USA viewers, most of whom will never consider flying to/through Turkey in their lives. I'm pretty sure you couldn't find a reputable person in the ad business who would say otherwise.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That is perhaps the stupidest and most paranoid post I've read here in a long time. No, flying to Turkey does NOT grant you the SSSS. Entering the US on a one-way ticket does, but despite having half a dozen stams from Turkey in my passport I haven't encountered any problems.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
...I don't think I need to be understand basic broadcast principles. The super bowl is getting more popular in Europe and Turkey so it could be that they trying to reach a larger audience than just the American
Perhaps you do need to undersand basic broadcast principles: TV ads are bought by market (which does not just define countries but can be state, region, even city) and TK bought prime ad time for all of the United States during the Super Bowl - the most expensive TV seconds you can buy.

Here in Canada, for example, we see completely different ads during the same Super Bowl broadcast, and they cost a lot less. So if TK had wanted to target audiences outside the US, they could have done that.

Instead, they chose to target the US general public. Like lighting money on fire.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Perhaps you do need to undersand basic broadcast principles:
Advertising and broadcast are NOT the same thing.

Weather or not you think they burn money, I don't really care. If you think there is more of a security threat to fly TK than any other carrier, then maybe you should just stay in doors
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:07 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Tinfoil hats and chemtrails aside, my beef with this admittedly nicely done ad is that TK would be well advised to reduce their PR spend and invest the money in customer service training instead. Just a thought
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
If you think there is more of a security threat to fly TK than any other carrier, then maybe you should just stay in doors
I am not quite sure why I would merit this particular comment of yours. I have flown TK to and from Turkey 4 times in the last 4 months and have made no comments to the contrary.

Paying for a super bowl ad to the US public was a harebrained idea by some TK marketing execs who have more ego than business sense.

Security has nothing to do with it.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: TK *G Elite | Marriott Platinum | Southwest A-List Preferred | AA Gold
I just want one of those cards...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.