Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH4116
That is perhaps the stupidest and most paranoid post I've read here in a long time. No, flying to Turkey does NOT grant you the SSSS. Entering the US on a one-way ticket does, but despite having half a dozen stams from Turkey in my passport I haven't encountered any problems.
I'm sorry you found my post incredibly stupid and paranoid, but I (and all my family members over age 18) DID get on the TSA SSSS list last year due to our visit to Turkey. By no means am I alone, and I did not have a one-way ticket. There are several Flyertalk threads about this, like this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...aded-ssss.html

This isn't Turkish's fault, but it's just another reason why spending big bucks to encourage Americans to visit Turkey right now isn't a brilliant business strategy.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
That is perhaps the stupidest and most paranoid post I've read here in a long time. No, flying to Turkey does NOT grant you the SSSS. Entering the US on a one-way ticket does, but despite having half a dozen stams from Turkey in my passport I haven't encountered any problems.
There's a very long thread somewhere on FT about ME carriers that contains many, many posts that come close in the stupidity and paranoia rankings. I'm not singling anyone out, of course...
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue
So, how do I get now this card? Perhaps at the M&S desk at Atatürk airport?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm sorry you found my post incredibly stupid and paranoid, but I (and all my family members over age 18) DID get on the TSA SSSS list last year due to our visit to Turkey. By no means am I alone, and I did not have a one-way ticket. There are several Flyertalk threads about this, like this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...aded-ssss.html

This isn't Turkish's fault, but it's just another reason why spending big bucks to encourage Americans to visit Turkey right now isn't a brilliant business strategy.
I've gotten SSSS one time when flying TK from Istanbul to New York, and that was because I was flying in and out of the US on separate one-way tickets. I doubt that the whole plane would get SSSS just because they're originating from Turkey.

My last visit to the US was on BA, and I didn't get any SSSS or questioning when entering the country, despite the fact that I have Turkish stamps in my passport.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mict

Anyone has more info on how to get one of those cards?? When I click the banner it just sends me to the Miles & Smile Website.
It says "existing members do not need to reapply" so hopefully they'll be sending them out to everybody.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've gotten SSSS one time when flying TK from Istanbul to New York, and that was because I was flying in and out of the US on separate one-way tickets. I doubt that the whole plane would get SSSS just because they're originating from Turkey.

My last visit to the US was on BA, and I didn't get any SSSS or questioning when entering the country, despite the fact that I have Turkish stamps in my passport.
Not really relevant to this thread, but my family's SSSS was "earned" on a multi-city, roundtrip Star Alliance award ticket with Istanbul being a stop along the way. We had a pleasant visit to Istanbul (this was before the recent bombings), but for a frequent flyer, "earning" an SSSS designation is awful.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Also got an SSS flying:
DTW-IAD-BRU
BRU-FRA-IST
IST-YYZ-DTW

Almost missed my flight in YYZ because of the SSSS...

Flying the same itinerary in a few weeks, will see how that goes...
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mict
Also got an SSS flying:
DTW-IAD-BRU
BRU-FRA-IST
IST-YYZ-DTW

Almost missed my flight in YYZ because of the SSSS...

Flying the same itinerary in a few weeks, will see how that goes...
If you read the threads, it seems like an IST SSSS drops off after several weeks. That's what happened to me (and my family). Thank God -- otherwise a visit to IST could come with the worst souvenir imaginable.

BTW, it's a good thing this SSSS isn't that widely known, or Turkish would have considerable difficulty luring Americans onto their aircraft. It does seem like a simple roundtrip from the USA to IST is relatively safe from an SSSS standpoint (unless I've missed recent developments). From my experience, though, I would not make a connection at IST unless I had no other choice -- just not worth the TSA risk. Under no circumstances would I do an IST stopover (which is almost certainly what snared me).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:09 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by starBora
I just want one of those cards...
Me too but it seems that you get a SSSS too
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you read the threads, it seems like an IST SSSS drops off after several weeks. That's what happened to me (and my family). Thank God -- otherwise a visit to IST could come with the worst souvenir imaginable.

BTW, it's a good thing this SSSS isn't that widely known, or Turkish would have considerable difficulty luring Americans onto their aircraft. It does seem like a simple roundtrip from the USA to IST is relatively safe from an SSSS standpoint (unless I've missed recent developments). From my experience, though, I would not make a connection at IST unless I had no other choice -- just not worth the TSA risk. Under no circumstances would I do an IST stopover (which is almost certainly what snared me).
Yea only had the SSSS for that particular trip. Flew again a few weeks later and the SSSS was gone.
But I am expecting the SSSS again in 3 weeks coming from IST as I am not exiting the US on the same ticket afterwards... Gonna be fun
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not really relevant to this thread, but my family's SSSS was "earned" on a multi-city, roundtrip Star Alliance award ticket with Istanbul being a stop along the way. We had a pleasant visit to Istanbul (this was before the recent bombings), but for a frequent flyer, "earning" an SSSS designation is awful.
Any "complex" itinerary touching the US, be it a one-way, open-jaw or multi-city will likely result in the SSSS. Don't think it has anything to do specifically with Turkey, and if so then their flights to the US would constantly be delayed.

Getting SSSS while flying on United Airlines from Shannon to Newark is far worse than on IST-JFK, since at Shannon you need to spend more time at the pre-clearance CBP facility for secondary. At Istanbul it was just an extra look inside the bag, and then you're good to go.

I flew SNN-EWR-ARN-SDL on United and SAS booked as a one-way ticket which resulted in the dreaded SSSS for the United segment.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Any "complex" itinerary touching the US, be it a one-way, open-jaw or multi-city will likely result in the SSSS. Don't think it has anything to do specifically with Turkey, and if so then their flights to the US would constantly be delayed.
I wouldn't agree, I've done very funny both domestic and international itineraries in USA without getting the SSSS.

We're all just guessssing here, not knowing the TSA algorithms.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:34 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Gnopps
We're all just guessssing here, not knowing the TSA algorithms.
We don't?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by Gnopps
I wouldn't agree, I've done very funny both domestic and international itineraries in USA without getting the SSSS.
I agree with you.

I've done 6 trips to US last year, all that trips was Open Jaw. One of them VKO-IST-JFK/EWR-CUN-IAH-IST-WAW. (EWR-CUN-IAH was on UA, all others with TK).

Never getting the SSSS.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
I agree with you.

I've done 6 trips to US last year, all that trips was Open Jaw. One of them VKO-IST-JFK/EWR-CUN-IAH-IST-WAW. (EWR-CUN-IAH was on UA, all others with TK).

Never getting the SSSS.
If you read the flyertalk threads, you can clearly see that there's a link between stopping in IST and getting on the SSSS list. It's certainly true in my case: I fly on lots of "unusual" int'l tickets, and have only been SSSS'd (along with my family) after an IST stopover.

It's just a good thing the TSA thinks you lose interest in jihad after a few weeks back from IST. Otherwise, a Turkey stopover would be quite horrific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.