Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CoweyB
Update January 2016: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running reasonably smoothly.

TK will only match Star Alliance Gold , Skyteam Elite Plus, Oneworld Emerald members, Emirates and Etihad Gold/Platinum and El Al Platinum/Top Platinum. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

Please note that the only way to contact TK is now via the website

2/6/2015 new info from TK
We have received your message that you sent to our unit on 20 January 2015. Please be informed that when you claim your first flight with Turkish Airlines or other Star Alliance members to your Miles&Smiles account, your card will be sent to your address automatically.

On the otherhand, we would like to remind you that you can also get your original Miles&Smiles Card from Card Press Desk at Ataturk Airport International Terminal between 07.30 A.M and 09.45 PM. The location of Card Press desk is between A and B Check-in counters.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

21/9/2015 - Neil791
For those reporting successful matches, can you please post your results as follows so others can estimate their wait times, success rates

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (i.e. AB TopBonus, AA Plat, etc)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/01/2017 - CoweyB. There appear to be issues with TK automatically extending Elite membership for a second year even if the 15,000 status miles have been accumulated. Some FTers are reporting downgrades to Classic Plus instead
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Wuxia
also would like to get a physical Batman vs Superman *G elite card, think it's cool.
When I picked up the card at IST it was a plain one and also the cards I got in the mail are the same. Perhaps one can get the branded one only after the four months extension.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: UAL Silver
Originally Posted by CoweyB
I assume you got the same challenge as I did which says: As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles

That means, I think, you have to take an international flight on TK metal - that's certainly what I did during my challenge period - but Istanbul is a terrific city to visit so why not go to IST and enjoy a short holiday there?
I just flew to IST then LJU in October and have a ton of domestic flying in the 1st Q of 2017 so I don't want a 10 hour coach flight (TK doesn't even have Economy plus!). Furthermore, had TK status matched me within 6 weeks of when I requested it on August 29. My mid October flights to IST would have qualified me for 12 months. TA is a bureauracy and very frustrating to deal with (probably due to the culture and lack of good English speakers)...while I guess I should be glad for the match...4 months is worthless since it overlaps my COPA 2 months and I'm not planning on flying to Turkey in the next 4 months. I'm in DC. Can anyone advice me if there's anyway to fly a SHORT TK international flight without having to go to IST? I'm asking a question I probably already know but maybe there's some TK genius out there that has some ideas on how to extent to 12 months. Also I have an unposted flight from Oct. I don't think it will help my cause but do you think posting the flight will extend my status match even though the date is prior to the match date? I know I doubt it and if so, I'll have the miles go to United or Copa.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jimaleg
I just flew to IST then LJU in October and have a ton of domestic flying in the 1st Q of 2017 so I don't want a 10 hour coach flight (TK doesn't even have Economy plus!). Furthermore, had TK status matched me within 6 weeks of when I requested it on August 29. My mid October flights to IST would have qualified me for 12 months. TA is a bureauracy and very frustrating to deal with (probably due to the culture and lack of good English speakers)...while I guess I should be glad for the match...4 months is worthless since it overlaps my COPA 2 months and I'm not planning on flying to Turkey in the next 4 months. I'm in DC. Can anyone advice me if there's anyway to fly a SHORT TK international flight without having to go to IST? I'm asking a question I probably already know but maybe there's some TK genius out there that has some ideas on how to extent to 12 months. Also I have an unposted flight from Oct. I don't think it will help my cause but do you think posting the flight will extend my status match even though the date is prior to the match date? I know I doubt it and if so, I'll have the miles go to United or Copa.

But why are you interested in being in the Turkish FFP if you're already in the UA programme and don't fly TK?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But why are you interested in being in the Turkish FFP if you're already in the UA programme and don't fly TK?
Free UA club access?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:34 pm

You could do GRU-EZE done by TK metal
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Free UA club access?

hmmm - OK

Well, I'm guessing the OP is exactly the type of status match customer TK isn't going to have high on its priority list ...
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:11 pm

You cleanly didn't read my post. I don't expect to fly Turkish air in the next 4 months so the status match was worthless...I would have flown them next summer hence I wanted a 12 month status match...I tried to time my status match before I flew them last October but they took an inordinate amount of time to approve so my flight didn't extend my status (which is silly).I'm losing my status on United. Anyway, can anyone actually help me figure out a way to get a Turkish air international segment without going to Istanbul or is that not possible? If not possible will an international segment on star alliance partner credit to TK qualify me for 12 months? None of these questions TK can answer (or I haven't found the right person after 4 calls to their service center)...
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:15 pm

You clearly didn't read my post. I tried to time my status match before I flew them last October but they took an inordinate amount of time to approve so my flight didn't extend my status because it was technically before my status match (which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard). Since I just flew them, I don't expect to fly Turkish air in the next 4 months so the status match was worthless...I would have flown them next summer hence I wanted a 12 month status match...I'm losing my SA gold status in January. Anyway, can anyone actually offer some constructive advice on how to get a Turkish air international segment without going to Istanbul or is that not possible? If not possible will an international segment on star alliance partner credit to TK qualify me for 12 months? None of these questions TK can answer (or I haven't found the right person after 4 calls to their service center)...I doubt the forum will have the answer either
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:34 pm

Anyway, can anyone actually offer some constructive advice on how to get a Turkish air international segment without going to Istanbul or is that not possible?
As miamiflyer8 wrote you can take TK's fifth-freedom route between Buenos Aires (EZE) and Sao Paulo (GRU).

If not possible will an international segment on star alliance partner credit to TK qualify me for 12 months?
No.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Dec 12, 2016 at 1:03 am Reason: Airport code mistake
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
As miamiflyer8 wrote you can take TK's fifth-freedom route between Buenos Aires (EZE) and Sao Paulo (GIG)
GIG is Rio De Janeiro Galeao.

GRU is Sao Paulo Guarulhos.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
GIG is Rio De Janeiro Galeao.

GRU is Sao Paulo Guarulhos.
Yes, my mistake, should be EZE-GRU (or GRU-EZE) ^ And it's only 252 USD oneway in Y
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Yes, my mistake, should be EZE-GRU (or GRU-EZE) ^ And it's only 252 USD oneway in Y
Seems to be not bookable in J...
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:01 am

Thanks Miami flyer for the constructive advice...Also you were right on with why I wanted to extend my Gold SA membership (UA and other SA partners). I guess outside of going to South America or IST, I won't get a TK international flight any other way? I was hoping there was some short hop on TA originating in the US but probably wishful thinking. I tried using their website but it is the worst website to check flights in an efficient manner (my browser is only one version out of date). Miami (or anyone else that's knowledgeable) Do you think if I post the 2nd 1/2 of my October IST trip (before the status match in Nov) that might trip the wire for the 12 month match? Even though you'd never know it from their website, I'm sure TK has software that recognizes my flight was "technically" before my status match was "granted".
If not an option, any advice on how to get a short TK international flight out of IAD or NYC or some drivable East Coast US city. I realize because it's a foreign airline there's very little city to city flights outside of turkey.
Here's some constructive advice for anyone thinking of doing a status match with TK: do it AT LEAST 3 months in advance because that's how long it will take them to process! Fortunately I was able to get into the TK lounge at dulles/IST based on a paper COPA card.....TK is an incredible bureaucratic airline....
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
I guess outside of going to South America or IST, I won't get a TK international flight any other way? I was hoping there was some short hop on TA originating in the US but probably wishful thinking.
Only other flight I can think of is CCS-HAV but probably little help to you.

. .....TK is an incredible bureaucratic airline....
Yup
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:27 am

Thanks Anyway.
Am I the only one that has problems maneuvering TK website. I'm trying to Search based on fares but it's virtually impossible. I really hate to reward their bureaucracy but buying a ticket but I can enjoy several meals in the IST and Dulles TK lounges...IST is just such a long flight. Plus it's not clear how to search for the economy plus seats (I got an email saying they brought back more space economy seats but heck if I can figure out which flights offer it).
I wonder if "elite" on TK is worth it....doesn't do much in terms of int'l upgrades on TK but does get me Int'l (and I think domestic) lounge access till next Thanksgiving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.