Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Arrgh, what a pain this time. Trying to book LH F (Star First award is O)
Now I have this stubborn agent who insists since Turkish isn't offering "premium economy" (which is what she calls O), they can only book X or I class with mail.
Now, I've HUACA'd 3 TIMES and THE SAME WOMAN ALWAYS ANSWERS!!!!!!!
MRRRRRRrrgh!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:19 am

Sixth time is the charm, got my booking done. Damn TK can be hard work at times.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Wait until you got ticketed. I got reply in ticket office when wanted paying taxes to get ticket, from country manager, that the O class booking is made as error and not possible to redeem miles for LH F. And that was after when he called Istanbul to ask the amount of the taxes.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Wait until you got ticketed. I got reply in ticket office when wanted paying taxes to get ticket, from country manager, that the O class booking is made as error and not possible to redeem miles for LH F. And that was after when he called Istanbul to ask the amount of the taxes.
Got it ticketed, only spent 5 hours at ATL. Thanks to the completely useless TK call center and their website - the ATL desk does NOT open at 3PM, it opens at 6.30PM.
The agent was actually pretty good this time, he said sometimes he doesn't know why they even have a call center, but then got his book of notes out and found the correct hoops to jump through, and got it ticketed.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by dera
Got it ticketed, only spent 5 hours at ATL. Thanks to the completely useless TK call center and their website - the ATL desk does NOT open at 3PM, it opens at 6.30PM.
The agent was actually pretty good this time, he said sometimes he doesn't know why they even have a call center, but then got his book of notes out and found the correct hoops to jump through, and got it ticketed.
Funny how they all have a book of hand-written notes. Even at LH's service desk they had it.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by ericw
Ok - I went to their Toronto office today. A few learnings:
For future reference, the Toronto office is able to handle Air Canada reward bookings via email. After three or four messages back and forth for the required documents and credit card details, I just had them ticket two North American rewards on AC ($293CAD for taxes and 40,000 miles for two tickets). You can reach them at: [email protected]

I searched on Aeroplan first and fed them the exact itinerary that I wanted.
KrissyK90 likes this.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
For upgrades using TK M&S on *A can the following website not be used?
https://muaenduser.staralliance.com/...tremarks=false
Old May 21, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: TK Elite
Is SQ business class definitely blocked on M&S? What about First on TG, OZ, NH or LX?
Old May 22, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by beach86
For upgrades using TK M&S on *A can the following website not be used?
https://muaenduser.staralliance.com/...tremarks=false
Just tried to use it - I get System failure, please try again later (TK/118)

Quelle surprise...
Old May 22, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Is SQ business class definitely blocked on M&S? What about First on TG, OZ, NH or LX?
Now we suddenly need to study TK redemption program
Old May 26, 2017, 3:12 am

would it be 60k miles + tax for RT ; ISTANBUL-TOKYO with SQ over Singapur?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Garbageman
For future reference, the Toronto office is able to handle Air Canada reward bookings via email. After three or four messages back and forth for the required documents and credit card details, I just had them ticket two North American rewards on AC ($293CAD for taxes and 40,000 miles for two tickets). You can reach them at: [email protected]

I searched on Aeroplan first and fed them the exact itinerary that I wanted.
40k for two tickets? Doesn't their star alliance chart say it is 30k for North America to North America per ticket (return) in economy?

If using the Toronto office is doable by email, that would really work for me as I'm in Ottawa and don't have a local office.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by realfortin
40k for two tickets? Doesn't their star alliance chart say it is 30k for North America to North America per ticket (return) in economy?

If using the Toronto office is doable by email, that would really work for me as I'm in Ottawa and don't have a local office.
I don't even bother to try to look at their reward chart since it's impossible to figure out what the newest version is and where their zones are.

Another recent thread has made it sound as though they may be discounting some reward categories at the moment, but yes, it was 20k per ticket (in Y) for a Canada-USA(open jaw)Canada-Canada itinerary (all on Air Canada).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:28 pm
esf

Did anybody ever manage to get the operating airline booking reference from Turkish Airlines?
I have an award ticket issued by Turkish Airlines, on a flight operated by Air Canada. Turkish Airline cannot provide me Air Canada booking reference. I have tried HUCA six times (with Turkey and US offices) and they don't seem to understand there exists an Air Canada booking reference ... Frustrating ...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by esf
Did anybody ever manage to get the operating airline booking reference from Turkish Airlines?
I have an award ticket issued by Turkish Airlines, on a flight operated by Air Canada. Turkish Airline cannot provide me Air Canada booking reference. I have tried HUCA six times (with Turkey and US offices) and they don't seem to understand there exists an Air Canada booking reference ... Frustrating ...
Have you tried IAH office? I booked LH tickets using TK miles and they gave me booking reference for LH right away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.