Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Miles&Smiles Elite is no more Star Gold card... [in some computer systems]

Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (E+)

... According to Scandinavian Airlines Customer Service Management and (propably) Miles&Smiles team B-)

Answer I got from SAS Customer Service when I wrote a short complaint why SAS does not recognized my Gold status on my last SAS flight:

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,
Your correspondence has been received in regard to your Frequent Flyer membership status in your booking, xxxxxx when travelling from Dublin on 5th November with SAS.

I am sorry that our agent was unble to confirm your Gold status and was unable to resolve this for you at the time of your check in.. Our agents are unable to view your account details and I aplogise if this was not courteously explained to you.. All Star Alliance members are advised to carry their membership card when travelling so membership level can be confirmed.

I have spoken with Miles & Smiles and they have confirmed at this time you are an Elite member.. To benefit from Star Alliance Gold benefits you are required to hold Elite Plus membership level.

.Therefore on this occasion your reservation correctly issued your boarding pass with Basic level

.Kind regards,

.xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

Customer Care Manager

Scandinavian Airlines
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:15 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
What a complete and utter nonsense.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
This is simply not true! Have flown recently with other *A carriers, and my TK Elite (*G) STATUS was printed on my BP. I always hand them my *G physical card, and ask them to make sure that my FF# and my status is on my rez and my BP.

P.S. I seem to have read somewhere that SK did have some problems recognizing other carriers' *G status (for lounge access, priority bags/boarding/screening, etc.). Maybe it was a system glitch?! But I suppose a physical card should solve the problem?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:26 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I guess you have not had your card with you, righr? Then - if SK database is not updated with "G status - you might be out of luck. I once managed to get to the ARN lounge by showing them my status on TK App om my smartphone.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I always have my card with me.
I showed my card at checkin and asked for update, 'couse my online BP showed TK*B, but checkin agent could not fix this glitch over 10 min, so I gave up.
To use Fast Track in DUB and Gold Lounge in CPH I showed my Elite card and got access with no problem .
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why didn't you bring M&S Elite card?? You can not rely on that all systems recognise elite status of other *A members. It may be a IT glitch but it certainly can happen - that is why you should always bring the card along.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:10 pm
TPJ

Originally Posted by dromack
I always have my card with me.
ooops - my bad - wrong assumption

FYI.. There is a portal for Star Alliance employees (no password required so one can access it without breaking the law) https://portal.staralliance.com/employees/

and the rules are:

Where a discrepancy exists between the loyalty status levels displayed on the frequent flyer programme card, boarding pass, other document presented and/or the Star Alliance Premium Customer Database, the highest displayed level will be honoured. For example, boarding pass shows xx*S (xx = airline code *S=Star Alliance Silver), but customer presents a valid FFP card showing the Star Alliance Gold logo: customer must be given access to the lounge.
Link: https://portal.staralliance.com/empl...ports/branding

I always have a printout of this page and it already saved my a.. a few times. (The page and rules were discussed many times on the old BD forum as BD had a really terrible IT department, so we - the BD flier community - had to help ourselves)
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:44 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by TPJ
I always have a printout of this page and it already saved my a.. a few times. (The page and rules were discussed many times on the old BD forum as BD had a really terrible IT department, so we - the BD flier community - had to help ourselves)
Scandalous accusation of my beloved bmi .... but true of course. That's why my transition from BD to TK was so easy
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:11 pm

Same happened to me on Lufthansa. I thought it was just some random hiccup in the system. Boarding passes showed TK*P as did passbook, but I still got my second luggage free of charge and no other problems. I has my physical card with me. My card did show up as TK*G just 4 weeks ago previously with lufthansa.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:36 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Scandalous accusation of my beloved bmi .... but true of course. That's why my transition from BD to TK was so easy
Ha ha

Agree!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:06 am

Hi all,

just wanted to share my story on this:

I am TK*G but (all) my boarding passes for my recent round trip in December/January (FMO-FRA-SFO-LAX, LAX-FRA-FMO) showed TK*P.

The LH personnel was not able to get the system to show TK*G although he had verified my card (which I had with me) was working.
On my first flights I even got the "Priority" tags added to my bags. However, when we arrived in SFO the tags have been cut of and were delivered along with the non-priority luggage.

I was able to use the Airport, StarAlliance, LH and United lounges after showing the physical card though.

On our flight back several people got upgraded since the flight was overbooked. With my boarding pass not showing TK*G, I feel that I might have missed out on an upgrade... Not sure, but it would be bad if that's the case because of some software bug

All tickets have been booked via United but where operated by LH (just SFO-LAX was on United). Maybe this is the reason?
When flying to SFO in November (also booked via United) I had to pay for my 2nd bag as they do not allow a 2nd bag in economy, even when *G.
Again, the ticket only showed TK*P but I showed the physical card on checkin and was told that I still had to pay for my 2nd bag.

For the last trip I did not have a 2nd bag.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Thomas
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Were both of those United trips long-haul trips including overseas segments on the PNR? If your earlier booking was a separate booking within North America, your standard free baggage allowance is 0 and *G gives you +1 free bag. On overseas itineraries, your free baggage allowance is 1 and *G gives you a 2nd free bag.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:33 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Thomas Doe
I am TK*G but (all) my boarding passes for my recent round trip in December/January (FMO-FRA-SFO-LAX, LAX-FRA-FMO) showed TK*P.
Ah yes, the wonders of the LH IT system. I had the same experience recently on a LX/LH itinerary. The LX BP was correct TK*G but the LH BP said TK*P. I asked LH staff what this was all about and they claim to know nothing.

One agent even tried to manually set my TK number to *G but the system refused.

Now if you were into conspiracies you could think that LH deliberately blocks TK*G given their lack of friendship.

Moral of the story is always carry your physical card. Incidentally LX lounge dragons still insist on the card even when it says *G on the BP.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Ah yes, the wonders of the LH IT system. I had the same experience recently on a LX/LH itinerary. The LX BP was correct TK*G but the LH BP said TK*P. I asked LH staff what this was all about and they claim to know nothing.

One agent even tried to manually set my TK number to *G but the system refused.

Now if you were into conspiracies you could think that LH deliberately blocks TK*G given their lack of friendship.

Moral of the story is always carry your physical card. Incidentally LX lounge dragons still insist on the card even when it says *G on the BP.
I have the problem with my UA and TK card.
The problem exists since LH introduced OLCI many moons ago.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:29 am
Original Poster

My last trips with LH and SK (end of December) with no problem - BP showed TK*G (and got even the op-up on LH).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.