CPT or JNB?

Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

CPT or JNB?

I am going to CPT and have a flight through JNB right now from IST. What would be the better flying experience since the CPT flies the old A340? I picked to go through JNB because it has the newer A330 and I don't mind transiting through JNB for short domestic hop. Would it be worth maybe changing straight through to CPT? I know there are usually much less full to CPT as well so I am thinking the cabin could be emptier as well. If there are plenty of CPT seats then how likely is TK be willing to change it to the CPT flight on a business award ticket? Can the folks at the lounge assist with that?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Changing at JNB to a domestic flight is no picnic. Been there, done that Expect to collect luggage, immigration, recheck luggage, long security lines and a at best mediocre SAA domestic lounge (though I believe this has recently been renovated), assuming you are connecting to SAA.

Unless you have a fully flexible full fare ticket I doubt you can get IST-JNB-CPT easily changed to IST-CPT. If you are consider this I would use the ticket counter and not the lounge.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Changing at JNB to a domestic flight is no picnic. Been there, done that Expect to collect luggage, immigration, recheck luggage, long security lines and a at best mediocre SAA domestic lounge (though I believe this has recently been renovated), assuming you are connecting to SAA.

Unless you have a fully flexible full fare ticket I doubt you can get IST-JNB-CPT easily changed to IST-CPT. If you are consider this I would use the ticket counter and not the lounge.
It is an award ticket but I am concerned about the state of the A340. Does it have the same IFE quantity as the A330? Also though another problem is my luggage is checked from North America to the JNB flight so I don't know if that would cause any issues but I have 9 hours between flights.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by starflyergold
... at best mediocre SAA domestic lounge (though I believe this has recently been renovated), ....
Re-opened last week, and a very quick look showed it to be lovely, I thought.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:28 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
It is an award ticket but I am concerned about the state of the A340. Does it have the same IFE quantity as the A330?
It is AVOD, but not NextGen. The seats are not fully flat, but I managed to sleep on them. My last time on A340 was in mid-2014 and (at least then) the A340's were reasonably well maintained.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Well I have just been on a TK A340 (albeit doing a short domestic haul). The AVOD was extremely poor, the screen resolution was all fuzzy. Not sure I would like that on a 10 hour flight. The aircraft really has seen better days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.