Do parents count as "family"?

Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G Elite | Marriott Platinum | Southwest A-List Preferred | AA Gold
Do parents count as "family"?

I'm going to be flying from IST to LAX with my parents (both Classic Plus). I want to use the International CIP lounge, but will I be able to guest both of them in? I know on the website it says one guest or family, but are they referring to children and spouse or any direct family? If I cannot, am I able to pay to guest the other one? Also, is there a special entrance for the lounge, besides the airside one? Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Yes, parents do count as immediate family.

That said, note that the family privilege only applies if you're TK Elite or Elite+. It doesn't apply for other *G members, who are still allowed to bring only one guest.

Re: paid access - no, there's no paid access at the IST lounge.

Special entrance wise, yes there's a priority passport control queue that leads directly into the lounge, but bear in mind that again you'll have to be either TK's own gold or fly in J/F to be able to use it. *G flying in Y can use the "normal" priority line, which is a few booths further back. Also, I can't confirm this but I doubt that priority passport control would apply to your whole family.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G Elite | Marriott Platinum | Southwest A-List Preferred | AA Gold
Thank you! I'm TK Elite so I'll be able to use the family benefit I guess.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite+ HHonors Diamond
Patents don't count as family members for Lounge access only Spouse and Children can access lounge with you.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: TK*G
Well I've been to IST,BJV,AYT,DLM domestic lounges with my parents recently. As a matter of fact I got my cousin, aunt, and uncle in too in DLM. The lounge agent said that there was no limit on number of persons as long as everyone has the same last name.

I didn't try getting in with my parents to the IST international lounge though.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:55 pm

In case you fly TK, you will soon be able to get access by paying a fee of 50TL
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...-during-winter
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by starBora
I'm going to be flying from IST to LAX with my parents (both Classic Plus). I want to use the International CIP lounge, but will I be able to guest both of them in? I know on the website it says one guest or family, but are they referring to children and spouse or any direct family? If I cannot, am I able to pay to guest the other one? Also, is there a special entrance for the lounge, besides the airside one? Thanks!
We used my husband's priority pass to get into CIP lounge. And Parents count as family so you should be able to go in with them. You have the same last name, don't you? I'd be very pissed if they didn't allow. Family is family.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Solution: Switch boarding pass with your mother or farther (obviously depending on your gender) before entering the lounge. Then it will be a TK Elite/*A Gold travelling with his/her spouse and child

On a more serious note; even if the rule would be spouse and children only, I doubt you will barred from entering with your parents - unless you are asked for identification to match your boarding pass when entering the lounge (which has never occured to me) it so easy to circumvent the rule that it makes little sense to rigorously enforce it.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jul 3, 2015 at 7:42 am
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Solution: Switch boarding pass with your mother or farther (obviously depending on your gender) before entering the lounge. Then it will be a TK Elite/*A Gold travelling with his/her spouse and child

On a more serious note; even if the rule would be spouse and children only, I doubt you will barred from entering with your parents - unless you are asked for identification to match your boarding pass when entering the lounge (which has never occured to me) it so easy to circumvent the rule that it makes little sense to rigorously enforce it.
Good point, SK AAR. I like the way you're thinking with the solution, and I think it'll work perfectly. That's what I'll do. Thanks everyone! One more question, though, because I didn't get a clear answer on this: is the special entrance to the airport for elite members too? Or just elite plus? And the special lounge entrance? Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by starBora
Good point, SK AAR. I like the way you're thinking with the solution, and I think it'll work perfectly. That's what I'll do. Thanks everyone! One more question, though, because I didn't get a clear answer on this: is the special entrance to the airport for elite members too? Or just elite plus? And the special lounge entrance? Thanks!
Elite Plus or business class. Not for Elite flying economy.

Shuly
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:36 am

related question :

Hi all, new to FT but lurking for a while.
my question is related :
I'm Elite Plus.
My mother who holds no TK status is traveling in Y class (solo) IST-BKK in two weeks. Is there a way for me to buy her / grant her access to the IST lounge?
again to clarify : I will not be there, she is flying solo.
Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TlvLove
Hi all, new to FT but lurking for a while.
my question is related :
I'm Elite Plus.
My mother who holds no TK status is traveling in Y class (solo) IST-BKK in two weeks. Is there a way for me to buy her / grant her access to the IST lounge?
again to clarify : I will not be there, she is flying solo.
Thanks!
This is new(ish). There's no start date shown but it goes up to March 2016:
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...-during-winter. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to appy to Intl departures from what I can make out.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:07 am

Thanks for the reply - what about paying in advance for lounge access?
from http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...ite-plus-card:

"Also Elite Plus card holders will from now on able to accommodate their fellow travelers with the same amenities against 50 TL(tax included) or in exchange for 4.000 miles"

anyone ever tried this?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:21 pm

"Also Elite Plus card holders will from now on able to accommodate their fellow travelers with the same amenities against 50 TL(tax included) or in exchange for 4.000 miles"

anyone ever tried this?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, TlvLove!

As far as I know, there is no way to buy your way into the international terminal lounge at IST, unless she were traveling with you. To the best of my knowledge, what you're referring to holds for your "fellow travelers", that is, people traveling with you. It won't work for her when you're not there.

Shuly
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

anyone ever tried this?
50TL or 4,000 miles is for domestic CIP lounges only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.