Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol and transfer in IST

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Alcohol and transfer in IST

We will come from bucharest and go to luxembourg with a stop in Istanbul.
It's an overnight stop (the lugguage will stay in transit).
We plan to bring back 12 bottles of wine (wich is allowed in UE), but was wondering if it's allow in transit area in Istanbul between 2 UE destinations.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
If your wine is in your checked luggage and your luggage is indeed checked through, you'll be fine as your bag will never cross Turkish customs lines.

However, if for whatever reason you will have to retrieve your bags in IST and bring them land-side to recheck them, you'll have to explain your situation to the Turkish customs officers and deal with them.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
yes, we go to the hotel with handlugage only.
The same in luxembourg, they will consider the wine coming from european union even with a stop outside of EU?
Old May 25, 2015, 5:45 am

Apologies for the Hijack but are the duty free alcohol prices in IST cheap or expensive?
Old May 25, 2015, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
yes, we go to the hotel with handlugage only.
The same in luxembourg, they will consider the wine coming from european union even with a stop outside of EU?
If your bag is checked through from OTP, then it will have the green bordered baggage tag issued at EU airports, so it should be fine in LUX.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by pandablood
Apologies for the Hijack but are the duty free alcohol prices in IST cheap or expensive?
I remember looking at a few bottles when I was stuck at the airport during this winter's snowmargeddon and the prices for branded spirits were about equal to what you'd pay in a German or Canadian duty-free store.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by airoli
I remember looking at a few bottles when I was stuck at the airport during this winter's snowmargeddon and the prices for branded spirits were about equal to what you'd pay in a German or Canadian duty-free store.
so, downright expensive if you're an american. good raki selection though.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:50 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pandablood
I personally found them expensive - definitely on the upper half of what you'd consider to be a good deal.

There is usually one basic spirit on sale with vastly higher prices for the other types EG: Smirnoff Red on sale, with higher prices for Absolute, Grey Goose etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.