Should I try TK (TPE-IST-IAH-DEN)?

Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Should I try TK (TPE-IST-IAH-DEN)?

I see Saver Business availability using UA miles. TPE-IST-IAH. It makes it a long long trip but I have heard good things about TK. Reading through some stuff here and elsewhere on the web, it seems (and want to confirm with TK regulars):

1 - Business class is not bad - 177 degree almost flat is OK and you won't feel like the slanted flat?

2 - Catering is great?

3 - I will have about 8 hours at IST (0500-1300). It seems it won't fit the free tour schedule and it is too much hassle to get the free hotel. So, maybe just enjoy the airport and lounge (I love exploring airports)? I certainly don't want to miss my connecting flight so probably should not even think about hopping into the city?

4 - Service is not bad?

5 - TK is safe and reliable?

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
1. Yes, J is not bad. I'm sure the product on TK25 TPE-IST is lie-flat (and not flat bed- and I believe there are variations on the 343) but TK34 from IST-IST is on the 77W and will have fully flat J.

2. I've flown TK both Asia-Europe and Europe-US in J and catering is great. Do&Co is amazing. I seemed to have meals with a bit of a Mediterranean flair to them- think along the lines of meat and spices but quality was good.

3. You might want to try both their arrival and departure lounges, both are great and accessible by J pax. 8 hours is enough time to enter the city but the lounges are top-notch and can occupy your time.

4. Service in my experience has been great.

5. In general I've read that you're sometimes delayed out of IST but shouldn't be a big deal. TK should be as safe as any other big airline out there.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by username
3 - I will have about 8 hours at IST (0500-1300). It seems it won't fit the free tour schedule and it is too much hassle to get the free hotel. So, maybe just enjoy the airport and lounge (I love exploring airports)? I certainly don't want to miss my connecting flight so probably should not even think about hopping into the city?
Thanks.
You might just want to stay in the lounge. The lounge is amazing and they snoozer rooms that are just great. You will only be able to access them when connecting in from a TK to another TK flight.

You will know what I mean when you go to the lounge. You may not want to leave.

TK is safer , better , in so many more ways than United.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There is simply no contest.

The worst part of the trip will be stepping on UA in Houston.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This is very tempting.... I guess I just have to overcome my fear of flying over/through a more troubled region of the world when I can do a simple TPAC.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks everyone. This is very tempting.... I guess I just have to overcome my fear of flying over/through a more troubled region of the world when I can do a simple TPAC.
Don't think there's any danger whatsoever to flying over Iraq or Afghanistan. You're more likely to be killed crossing the street, or going to the supermarket.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Don't think there's any danger whatsoever to flying over Iraq or Afghanistan. You're more likely to be killed crossing the street, or going to the supermarket.
Agree. Fear unfortunately is not rational in my case....
Old May 15, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I think most people have watched too much news. It may be more dangerous in your own backyard (ie Detroit)

I've been flying TK/EK/WY to Asia in the last 4.5 years and have not gone back to TPAC ever since (along with TK's more generous status requirements), people don't know what they are missing.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:53 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
1. Yes, J is not bad. I'm sure the product on TK25 TPE-IST is lie-flat (and not flat bed- and I believe there are variations on the 343) but TK34 from IST-IST is on the 77W and will have fully flat J.
I believe there are 4 A340's left and they are all in the non fully flat config.

Otherwise I agree with what was said here...
Old May 31, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Can anyone confirm if TK25 is lie-flat business seating?
From Seatguru, it shows as A340 old angle-flat seating.

Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:07 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by flyinglan
Can anyone confirm if TK25 is lie-flat business seating?
From Seatguru, it shows as A340 old angle-flat seating.

Thank you.
TK25 is operated by an A340 so no lie flat http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/THY25

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.