Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by krxstxn
Hello Everyone! I love reading the advice on this site and this is my first time posting!

In Oct I'm looking to fly SFO-IST-DLM. DLM is a domestic Turkey airport.

I've book SFO-IST on TK (J class using UA miles) and will either book the IST-DLM directly with TK or by using UA miles (depends on which flight you suggest). My flight arrives IST at 5:05pm. There's a TK flight that departs for DLM at 6:30pm and another that departs at 9:45pm. I know the safe thing to do would be to book the 9:45pm flight. Is it crazy to try and make a 1 hour and 25 minute connection? I'm hoping our bags will be checked all the way through and I'm not sure if we'll get BP for DLM in SFO or if we'll have to get it in IST...

If I did book that and missed it, would I have to purchase new tickets or would they re-book on the later flight if there's availability? I'm trying to avoid the 5 hour layover but I guess I could use the TK arrivals lounge for a bit and then the domestic CIP lounge...

Thanks for your advice!
That's not a risk I would take. If you have these two flights as separate tickets, I think you'd be SOL if (and when) you don't make the domestic leg.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by krxstxn
Is it crazy to try and make a 1 hour and 25 minute connection? I'm hoping our bags will be checked all the way through and I'm not sure if we'll get BP for DLM in SFO or if we'll have to get it in IST...
Since you are traveling in J, you will get access to fast-track at the immigration in IST, and I think there is a good chance you will get BP's for the entire trip during check-in, so it could work. However, there is little room for delays so it's going to be very tight.

If I did book that and missed it, would I have to purchase new tickets or would they re-book on the later flight if there's availability?
If both legs are on the same PNR, TK will re-book you (you might have to fight for it though).

I'm trying to avoid the 5 hour layover but I guess I could use the TK arrivals lounge for a bit and then the domestic CIP lounge...
I think the arrival lounge closes at 1pm, so you will have to use the dreadful domestic CIP lounge.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
That's not a risk I would take. If you have these two flights as separate tickets, I think you'd be SOL if (and when) you don't make the domestic leg.
The turn around time on the ground at SFO is very tight. There is no room to make up any delays. So if the aircraft comes in late the aircraft will depart late. So I would rather book the flight that departs at 9.15
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:30 pm

Hello,

I'm travelling from ORD-IST on Swiss Air, then flying to Elazig on Turkish with a separate ticket. My layover is 6 1/2 hours.

Should I have Swiss check the baggage through to Elazig from Chicago? Or should I pick up my bags in IST and then check in again for Elazig?

My concern would be the likelihood of my bags not getting checked through to Elazig, and if I would be able to check into a domestic Turkish flight 6 hours before departure.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:49 pm

Hi all,
I will be transiting through IST in the near future, arriving 1835 departing 0050, and have a couple questions:

1. Will I have time to visit Istanbul downtown comfortably (even for a couple hours)?

2. I have *G, can I visit the TK lounge (and possibly leave my bags there), then pass through immigration to go to the city?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:52 pm

Flying London - IST -Tokyo

Anybody done this journey before? Found a reasonable price and looking to go for it!

I currently am unsure, the transfer time is an hour and five minutes. Will this be sufficient? As a newbie I'm fairly scared that my bags might not make it or something will go wrong in transit having never done a transfer before.

Any words of advice or encouragement ?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:38 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Supermarios73
Anybody done this journey before? Found a reasonable price and looking to go for it!

I currently am unsure, the transfer time is an hour and five minutes. Will this be sufficient? As a newbie I'm fairly scared that my bags might not make it or something will go wrong in transit having never done a transfer before.

Any words of advice or encouragement ?
Welcome to FT Supermarios73

While not exactly a luxurious connection time the minimum connection time at IST is 60 minutes.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...-istanbul.html
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Just make sure to restrict your English to the bare minimum.

TK FA's say that Brits have a "very strong accent", hence they claim they cannot understand much.

Ditch the formality and politness, and just shout "CHICKEN" and "RED WINE" at them....
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Just make sure to restrict your English to the bare minimum.

TK FA's say that Brits have a "very strong accent", hence they claim they cannot understand much.

Ditch the formality and politness, and just shout "CHICKEN" and "RED WINE" at them....
No mater how many time it's been repeated it doesn't get become any truer. I never had any problems with TK's FAs understanding English.

If TK is not your cup of tea I'd recommend that bastion of mediocrity: BA.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by starflyergold
No mater how many time it's been repeated it doesn't get become any truer. I never had any problems with TK's FAs understanding English.

If TK is not your cup of tea I'd recommend that bastion of mediocrity: BA.
I will stick to SQ, thanks.

TK does have issue with English. Specially compared to the ME3, who hire all nationalities to work for them.

With TK I have ever only seem Turkish FAs. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as they speak English.

They do understand "wine" and "beef", but don't try to ask them anything else or you are in trouble. I find that the Chefs speak fairly well, and usually the Purser. Anyone else comes down to luck....

Edit: I see major English skills lacking in many carriers. But AZ, TP and IB never claimed to operate the "best and most destinations served in the world" operation.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by chicagogrk
Hello,

I'm travelling from ORD-IST on Swiss Air, then flying to Elazig on Turkish with a separate ticket. My layover is 6 1/2 hours.

Should I have Swiss check the baggage through to Elazig from Chicago? Or should I pick up my bags in IST and then check in again for Elazig?

My concern would be the likelihood of my bags not getting checked through to Elazig, and if I would be able to check into a domestic Turkish flight 6 hours before departure.

Thanks!
Elazig has, to my knowledge, no customs facilities. So you need to pick up your luggage and clear customs at IST. If Elazig was a customs airport, LX might or might not check the bags through ...

No experience with domestic check-in 6 hrs before.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance
First time in IST, will have around 5 hours to wait. I recently got sent a dragonpass and can access the comfort lounge for £15, is it worth it? or is there anything better?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chris19992
First time in IST, will have around 5 hours to wait. I recently got sent a dragonpass and can access the comfort lounge for £15, is it worth it? or is there anything better?

If you have 5 hours to wait in IST, the lounge pass is worth having. IST can be heaving at certain times of the day and it's not easy to find anywhere to sit. Once you've done the shops and had a bite to eat, you'll have killed all of an hour so the lounge is a def advantage. Sometimes with long transit times, I go through immigration and get some fresh air outside the terminal. It kills time and it's a change of scenery - you might need an e-visa though.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:41 am

I have a BOM-IST-LIS round trip scheduled in April. Both ways, the transit time is 90 minutes. From what I've read here, that sounds sufficient, but I see Expertflyer says the flight from BOM is delayed 28 minutes on average. And the last and only other time I flew into IST (not connecting to elsewhere) from BOM, the flight was about an hour late and it was a melee of people sprinting through the terminal hoping to make their connections. Which brings me to my question: will I need to go through immigration or only security? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.