Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK and the A380

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
I think moeser talks about using free TK Elite Plus upgrade voucher instead of Premium Y seats (Comfort Class in TK terms.)
Right !
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I don't expect them to sell First. They don't have the FA training to offer a true F product and it'd be too much of a niche with just one route. I recall they tried it a few years back when they had the initial wetleased planes from 9W and it didn't go well. The trend has been to sell them as C seats like on the 9W 77Ws and JJ A332s they have now. The F section on the MH A380 isn't so large anyway, only 8 seats.
Agree. I rather see a 3-cabin layout with a generous Y+ portion.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The A380 won't be happening this year:

Board chairman Hamdi Topcu said in Istanbul that the company, including subsidiaries, plans capital expenditure of $3.7 billion in 2015.

However he doused speculation that Turkish Airlines may be about to purchase or lease an A380 super jumbo aircraft from Airbus, saying there was no board decision on this issue.

"Turkish Airlines will not be operating an A380 aircraft in 2015," the company quoted him as saying.

But he added the company "has the talent to include any type of aircraft to its fleet and there are ongoing negotiations for all types of aircraft."
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tu...213015422.html
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by starflyergold
The A380 won't be happening this year:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tu...213015422.html
What time would it take to start operating a new type, such as A380, including training & certification etc? I'm no expert, but to a layperson it would seem quite a challenge to start operating a new type - especially an A380, starting from a point of not having any frames to operating within 10 months.

To play devil's advocate for a second - does the wording "Turkish Airlines will not be operating an A380 aircraft in 2015" actually preclude wet leasing from MH (one option being discussed in an MH thread in the Other Asian Programs forum)?

Last edited by lokijuh; Feb 26, 2015 at 1:44 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
What time would it take to start operating a new type, such as A380, including training & certification etc? I'm no expert, but to a layperson it would seem quite a challenge to start operating a new type - especially an A380, starting from a point of not having any frames to operating within 10 months.

To play devil's advocate for a second - does the wording "Turkish Airlines will not be operating an A380 aircraft in 2015" actually preclude wet leasing from MH (one option being discussed in an MH thread in the Other Asian Programs forum)?
If they wet lease the MH aircraft 4-6 weeks.To dry lease then probably early next year.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
THY A380

It seems a lot of the bigger carriers are/have invested in A380 apart from THY. Any idea why? They do fly large numbers and long route so would only seem logical from my, be it, limited perspective

EDIT: Unless of course IST cannot accommodate an A380

Last edited by boosh; May 17, 2016 at 6:17 am
Old May 17, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by boosh
It seems a lot of the bigger carriers are/have invested in A380 apart from THY.
Once you discount the home carriers of the Airbus owners (BA, LH, AF), which were under intense political pressure to buy into the European flagship of the skies, not that many A380 buyers remain. Most are in the Gulf.

I don't know if current IST could handle a home fleet of A380s. But even if it could, keep in mind that it is quite a challenge to generate enough profitable traffic and cargo to fill such huge aircraft on the daily frequency that key long-haul routes demand. TK may have crunched numbers and decided that the B777-300ER has a better overall yield/net profit profile for them.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I believe current IST cannot handle the A380 - and every time I'm there I can see why - it's way too congested for anything bigger than the 773. That's why EK have never yet introduced it and they fly it to almost all major airports now.

New IST may be a different story and we don't have too much longer to wait for that now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.