Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK's Flagship IST *G Lounge [2015 onwards Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Lounge Location
IST International Terminal. Near Gate 220

Video walkthrough of the lounge made on 2016-05-25

IST TK Lounge Walkthrough - YouTube

Getting In

Opening Hours: 24 hrs per day

Entrances: 2 entrances - one in the main terminal, another from the far-left side of the check-in area of the airport with separate passport control, Only for TK Business Class passengers or TK Elite Plus in Y, but not Elite or other *G cards, you need to go through main passport control and enter from airside). Entry in the main terminal is done by automated gates. You need a boarding pass with your status on it, if that is not present, please ask the lounge matrons and they'll manually let you in. It is also necessary to consult the front desk if you're bringing a guest(s).

Dedicated entry from the check in area (far left side as you face security/immigration) is only open from 5am to 12am midnight, outside of those hours you must enter the main terminal first and use that entrance.

Prior noted in this wiki, was that there was three entrances, however that one is an exit only that can be found in the lower level of the lounge.

Bag Storage: There are lockers right next to the main entrance on both floors. Lockers are emptied at night.

Eligibility:
Business Class travellers on international flights operated by Turkish Airlines,
Miles&Smiles Elite and Elite Plus members (they may invite their families or one guest),
Star Alliance Gold members (they may invite one guest),
First and Business Class travellers on flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines.

Must travel on Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance

The lounge cannot be accessed through Priority Pass or by paying at the entrance. There are many other pay lounges at IST.

Multiple Entries:
If you're connecting and want to visit Istanbul, you can enter the lounge with your connecting BP, enjoy the lounge then go back to Immigration, enter Turkey, and come back to the lounge after your visit.

To go landside from the lounge: leave the lounge on the upper level and walk straight toward the food court. Just before the food court there is a set of stairs on the left (look for signs to the mosque) that takes you down to the arrival level, and then to the immigration counters.

Facilities

Working
Free Wi-Fi (you get the code by scanning your boarding pass at machines dotted around the lounge)
Showers
Printers and computers

Eating
Extensive Food and Drink Areas

Upstairs:
Turkish desserts, ie baklava
Nut station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Kofte/grill station
Pasta
Mezze
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Downstairs:
Turkish "special of the month"/chef's station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Simit cart
Kofte/grill station
Pasta
Mezze
Make-your-own-tea/wellness tea station
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic), stands throughout the lounge
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Early morning food differences
"Turkish special of the month" chef's station serving breakfast foods instead (e.g. gozleme)
Kofte station replaced by made-to-order omelette bar/breakfast items
Mini-simits, croissants, and other breakfast pastries
Demel cakes not taken out until ~ 8am
Turkish desserts not taken out until after 8am
Mezze station replaced by muesli, yogurt station

Smoking
This is a non smoking lounge, smoking area is upstairs at the far end of the terminal.

Relaxing
Relaxation Rooms (see below)
Ironing service
Newspapers and Library
Media wall
Pool Table
Golf simulator
RC car track
Self-playing piano
2x Xbox systems with FIFA and NBA

Sleeping in the Lounge

There are 5-7 relaxation rooms.

Eligibility:
4-7 hour layover for TK Business and Elite Plus customers in Economy Class.
International to International connections only

You can only use them only if you are connecting to/from a longhaul Turkish Airlines flight (8+ hours) AND your layover is between 4 and 7 hours.
Couches throughout the lounge.

You may be eligible for a free hotel outside the airport.
Print Wikipost

TK's Flagship IST *G Lounge [2015 onwards Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
You cannot reserve it.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
They are strict on bedrooms (well, it is a nice perk.... I've been once and while small it was very comfortable)

1. Your connection must be between x and y hours
2. This has to be the best theoretical connection - ie if there exists a later flight which, had you flown it, would have made your connecting time less than the minimum - you're ineligible
3. Your outgoing must be at least z hours long and to a qualifying destination (they have a list).

Complete your CPA before attempting this. (just saw there are some numbers in the wiki)

Originally Posted by aufmatt
If you were on a long-haul connecting flight, you might have asked for a bedroom. I'm trying to remember the rules... I thought it's like, if your connecting flight has a duration of more than 6 hours, and your stop-over at IST is more than 5 hours, you're entitled to a private bedroom.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by dand99
They are strict on bedrooms (well, it is a nice perk.... I've been once and while small it was very comfortable)

1. Your connection must be between x and y hours
2. This has to be the best theoretical connection - ie if there exists a later flight which, had you flown it, would have made your connecting time less than the minimum - you're ineligible
3. Your outgoing must be at least z hours long and to a qualifying destination (they have a list).

Complete your CPA before attempting this. (just saw there are some numbers in the wiki)
I was in the lounge waiting (again) for the shower. A few people came and attempted to request a room but were all rejected because they did not qualify by the rules.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus (*G), AB Gold (OW Sapphire), SQ Gold (now down to Classic), EK Gold (now silver)
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
A caveat: not sure if TK or any other *A carrier checks in luggage more than a few hours before departure, so that may be an issue if originating in IST. We were lucky to have OLCI and hand luggage only.
IST is the Hub airport for TK and you can check in at IST 24hrs before your TK flight. For other airlines though, you will have to wait (esp. if you have check-n luggage) until the check-in counter opens.

Once I had checked-in around 8 pm for and 9:30 am flight (with baggage) no problem to sleep in lounge because I was arriving from another town in Turkey (by bus no connecting flight). As long as you have a BP in your hand you can forward to airside (pass passport control) with no problem....
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Curious_Traveller
IST is the Hub airport for TK and you can check in at IST 24hrs before your TK flight. For other airlines though, you will have to wait (esp. if you have check-n luggage) until the check-in counter opens.

Once I had checked-in around 8 pm for and 9:30 am flight (with baggage) no problem to sleep in lounge because I was arriving from another town in Turkey (by bus no connecting flight). As long as you have a BP in your hand you can forward to airside (pass passport control) with no problem....
I didn't know that! This is amazing
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Printer in Lounge?

Can anyone advise whether there is likely to be a working printer in the IST lounge, which I could use at 6 am during a 2-hour layover (TK-TK) in a couple of weeks time?

The issue is that I will have a subsequent (tightish) connection to BA in BRU and a printed boarding pass could make the difference between making the connection or not.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by Budley
Can anyone advise whether there is likely to be a working printer in the IST lounge, which I could use at 6 am during a 2-hour layover (TK-TK) in a couple of weeks time?

The issue is that I will have a subsequent (tightish) connection to BA in BRU and a printed boarding pass could make the difference between making the connection or not.
Yes there is.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:43 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
IMHO they do not check if there is a better/shorter connection to let you use the day room. Only the hotel folks (when you claim a complimentary overnight hotel accommodation) check it.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:49 am

*G with 7h 35m layover. Will I be able to get a room?

I'm *G with a 7h 35m layover. Can I get sleeping room? Do I have any options if they stick to the only 4-7 hour layover policy? I arrive at 5:40am and depart at 1:15pm so the idea of touring the city early morning is not as appealing.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
We had a 7hrs 25min connection on a J ticket and there was no way they would budge. Not even when they could clearly see that my girl friend was feeling very unwell and could have used a 3-4 hours rest. We only asked for one sleeping room for her, not two for each of us and also offered to limit it to say 3hrs after which they could kick her out, but to no avail. Raising the request to the lounge staff is useless as they can't instruct the "sleeping room wardens" and you will just get blank stares and a "I don't give a sh*t" attitude.

We just got a hotel room for a few hours (paid by ourselves, not an issue) so she could sleep some and were done with it. All sleeping rooms were free at the time of request, but a rule is a rule so you just got to cut your losses at some point and not waste breath and energy. It doesn't hurt to ask, but be prepared to be refused.

Don't get me wrong, the lounge is great and TK offers a good inflight product (assuming newer J seat), but same as with the ME3 don't expect any miracles in the customer service area from staff and certainly hope nothing goes wrong operationally with your trip that requires rebooking, reaccomodation, etc.

Last edited by demue; Jul 21, 2015 at 1:16 am
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:02 pm

tigerjohn: you can't get a room as *G anymore, only TK J and Elite+

i also agree that they won't budge on the time, but don't really have a problem with that (there are many more important TK complaints)
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:00 pm

When I was there (got the room once, did not at others) they triple-checked....

As has been mentioned, there are so many people using the lounge I guess they have to be strict. I've slept in the "cinema" numerous times....

Originally Posted by TPJ
IMHO they do not check if there is a better/shorter connection to let you use the day room. Only the hotel folks (when you claim a complimentary overnight hotel accommodation) check it.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:03 pm

No.

I would have suggested sleeping in the lounge cinema room, but it's going to be rush hour when you arrive, the lounge will be "waking up" as the early morning flight pax walk in. Still, once you grab a seat somewhere I can think of worse places to while away the time....

[ I just saw the note re no more *G - how long has that policy been in effect ?]

Originally Posted by tigerjohn
I'm *G with a 7h 35m layover. Can I get sleeping room? Do I have any options if they stick to the only 4-7 hour layover policy? I arrive at 5:40am and depart at 1:15pm so the idea of touring the city early morning is not as appealing.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:24 am

No.

I would have suggested sleeping in the lounge cinema room, but it's going to be rush hour when you arrive, the lounge will be "waking up" as the early morning flight pax walk in. Still, once you grab a seat somewhere I can think of worse places to while away the time....

[ I just saw the note re no more *G - how long has that policy been in effect ?]
lower level corner by the piano. it's either an improvised sleeping area or bros occupy it and make it into their club house. but yeah cinema's best bet for a proper nap.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:46 am

Hi,

I will have mid night arrival at Istanbul. 1.30ish from Gaziantep.

Connecting flight will leave around 5 am to MUC.

So from what I know the lounge will be closed during that time right ?`

Any chance of using another one ?

I´m *Gold.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.