Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK's Flagship IST *G Lounge [2015 onwards Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Lounge Location
IST International Terminal. Near Gate 220

Video walkthrough of the lounge made on 2016-05-25

IST TK Lounge Walkthrough - YouTube

Getting In

Opening Hours: 24 hrs per day

Entrances: 2 entrances - one in the main terminal, another from the far-left side of the check-in area of the airport with separate passport control, Only for TK Business Class passengers or TK Elite Plus in Y, but not Elite or other *G cards, you need to go through main passport control and enter from airside). Entry in the main terminal is done by automated gates. You need a boarding pass with your status on it, if that is not present, please ask the lounge matrons and they'll manually let you in. It is also necessary to consult the front desk if you're bringing a guest(s).

Dedicated entry from the check in area (far left side as you face security/immigration) is only open from 5am to 12am midnight, outside of those hours you must enter the main terminal first and use that entrance.

Prior noted in this wiki, was that there was three entrances, however that one is an exit only that can be found in the lower level of the lounge.

Bag Storage: There are lockers right next to the main entrance on both floors. Lockers are emptied at night.

Eligibility:
Business Class travellers on international flights operated by Turkish Airlines,
Miles&Smiles Elite and Elite Plus members (they may invite their families or one guest),
Star Alliance Gold members (they may invite one guest),
First and Business Class travellers on flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines.

Must travel on Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance

The lounge cannot be accessed through Priority Pass or by paying at the entrance. There are many other pay lounges at IST.

Multiple Entries:
If you're connecting and want to visit Istanbul, you can enter the lounge with your connecting BP, enjoy the lounge then go back to Immigration, enter Turkey, and come back to the lounge after your visit.

To go landside from the lounge: leave the lounge on the upper level and walk straight toward the food court. Just before the food court there is a set of stairs on the left (look for signs to the mosque) that takes you down to the arrival level, and then to the immigration counters.

Facilities

Working
Free Wi-Fi (you get the code by scanning your boarding pass at machines dotted around the lounge)
Showers
Printers and computers

Eating
Extensive Food and Drink Areas

Upstairs:
Turkish desserts, ie baklava
Nut station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Kofte/grill station
Pasta
Mezze
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Downstairs:
Turkish "special of the month"/chef's station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Simit cart
Kofte/grill station
Pasta
Mezze
Make-your-own-tea/wellness tea station
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic), stands throughout the lounge
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Early morning food differences
"Turkish special of the month" chef's station serving breakfast foods instead (e.g. gozleme)
Kofte station replaced by made-to-order omelette bar/breakfast items
Mini-simits, croissants, and other breakfast pastries
Demel cakes not taken out until ~ 8am
Turkish desserts not taken out until after 8am
Mezze station replaced by muesli, yogurt station

Smoking
This is a non smoking lounge, smoking area is upstairs at the far end of the terminal.

Relaxing
Relaxation Rooms (see below)
Ironing service
Newspapers and Library
Media wall
Pool Table
Golf simulator
RC car track
Self-playing piano
2x Xbox systems with FIFA and NBA

Sleeping in the Lounge

There are 5-7 relaxation rooms.

Eligibility:
4-7 hour layover for TK Business and Elite Plus customers in Economy Class.
International to International connections only

You can only use them only if you are connecting to/from a longhaul Turkish Airlines flight (8+ hours) AND your layover is between 4 and 7 hours.
Couches throughout the lounge.

You may be eligible for a free hotel outside the airport.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm trying hard not to flame you here but it is a Muslim country so no. Just like you wouldn't find that in th ElAl lounge in TLV.
&
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Exactly!
Did I miss something in the handbook of political correctness here? You guys all talk about the abundance of alcohol in the lounge and the take offence in me asking if there's bacon ?

And I always thought that Turkey was a secular country but I asked because TK is not when it comes to meals.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:23 am

Seriously?
They are serving alcohol. Seriously !!!

I'm trying hard not to flame you here but it is a Muslim country so no. Just like you wouldn't find that in th ElAl lounge in TLV.
Flame him for what ? Because he or she is asking if Pork is available.
You should check the WWW for the meaning of tolerance.

I thought this Forum is for people to ask & answer questions .

No .Turkey is / was a secular country founded by K.Ataturk,which produces Beer,Wine,Raki etc.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by moeser
They are serving alcohol. Seriously !!!

Flame him for what ? Because he or she is asking if Pork is available.
You should check the WWW for the meaning of tolerance.

I thought this Forum is for people to ask & answer questions .

No .Turkey is / was a secular country founded by K.Ataturk,which produces Beer,Wine,Raki etc.
And yet there's no bacon in the lounge. Do you think that's just a coincidence?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:16 pm

That is what I wanted to know and thanks to starflyergold and ozstamps for providing the answer.

For me being served normal Western food is quite central to the choice of carrier and hence I am reluctant to fly a special-meal-for-all carrier. Knowing that this extends to the lounges, I can dash TK off my to-try list and hence this is valuable information.

And thanks moeser for the support and clarification.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by weero
That is what I wanted to know and thanks to starflyergold and ozstamps for providing the answer.

For me being served normal Western food is quite central to the choice of carrier and hence I am reluctant to fly a special-meal-for-all carrier. Knowing that this extends to the lounges, I can dash TK off my to-try list and hence this is valuable information.

And thanks moeser for the support and clarification.
If I had to restrain myself from flaming before it was mostly because it could have been because you were ignorant, but this is way beyond that. Do you think any western carrier flying to the middle east serves pork on those flights? I have yet to see one. Which airline will you fly in that case? I have flown LH, LX, AF, AZ, BA and a number of other "Western" carriers in the last year (and eaten in their lounges) and I'd much rather eat the beef, lamb and chicken served in the TK lounge and the on board catering of TK than some of the crap they serve on some of these other airlines. I have to say that if you're willing to not fly a good airline with a good lounge and good food just to get a few crappy pork sausages on board or in the lounge (and I have eaten many a crappy airline pork sausage over the years), then good luck to you. More good Turkish food for the rest of us on TK.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:49 am

And yet it is a legit question.I can't remember that the question if Champagne is being served in the CIP Lounge created such a response !
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:12 am

I find that I normally eat very little in the lounge as I'm usually stuffed when I come off of a typical TK flight. Seems like most every flight I'm on has the full deal (minus bacon)
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:55 am

And yet it is a legit question.I can't remember that the question if Champagne is being served in the CIP Lounge created such a response !
While I suppose you can argue it's a legit question, saying you won't fly an airline that doesn't serve pork is not "legit" in any sense.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:58 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I think we can now move on from the pork question if you please. The question has been answered.

starflyergold
TK M&S forum moderator
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:53 am

TK has often decent Biz promotions and they were one of the *A carriers, I considered to use until LH introduces the Premium Eco on the Asian routes. This is why I sought the above information.
Originally Posted by weero
I have to say that if you're willing to not fly a good airline with a good lounge and good food just to get a few crappy pork sausages on board or in the lounge (and I have eaten many a crappy airline pork sausage over the years), then good luck to you.
&
While I suppose you can argue it's a legit question, saying you won't fly an airline that doesn't serve pork is not "legit" in any sense.
I am unsure if you are intentionally misreading and misrepresenting what I wrote ... but where do you get this stuff from?
If I had to restrain myself from flaming before it was mostly because it could have been because you were ignorant, but this is way beyond that.
Well I guess that's a yes then.
Do you think any western carrier flying to the middle east serves pork on those flights? I have yet to see one. Which airline will you fly in that case?
Neither is Turkey in the Middle East, nor did I demand the food choice you describe nor do I travel to the Middle East often enough to answer your question. A Euro carrier would not even be a rational choice to the middle East for me .
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:49 am

I think we can now move on from the pork question if you please. The question has been answered.

starflyergold
TK M&S forum moderator
Fair enough.

@ weero.May the pork be with you
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I find that I normally eat very little in the lounge as I'm usually stuffed when I come off of a typical TK flight. Seems like most every flight I'm on has the full deal (minus bacon)
I would concur but being served BF twice from Add to Europe I'll usually have only the starter and then a much better & fresher BF in the lounge.

I think it beats the BF on board by far.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ozstamps
We were in the TK Lounge in IST last week, and it is by FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the best lounge I've ever been in.
I would like to echo your review. I was there twice last week.

It is a fantastic lounge. There are food, drink and coffee/tea/desert stations throughout the two level of beautifully decorated lounge.

There are also a kitchen on each level.

Great showers as well!

It was packed late in the day for the majority of the late inter-continental flights that leave around midnight.

Overall, impressed! The onboard meal services in J are also amazing!

I hope more people can fly TK to find out its fine services and offerings. After my two intercontinental flights on its 77W last week (first time flown TK), I would rank TK on par with SQ based on my limited TK experience.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:00 am

I would concur but being served BF twice from Add to Europe I'll usually have only the starter and then a much better & fresher BF in the lounge.

I think it beats the BF on board by far.
I think in general TK's inflight meals are really good, but have to concur that breakfast is probably my least favorite.

As for the lounge food, someone upthread mentioned the tortellini. I have to admit that I tried the tortellini with joghurt sauce and wasn't too crazy about it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I think in general TK's inflight meals are really good, but have to concur that breakfast is probably my least favorite.

As for the lounge food, someone upthread mentioned the tortellini. I have to admit that I tried the tortellini with joghurt sauce and wasn't too crazy about it.
You can ask for it without the yogurt and the oil and I think it's better that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.