Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK's Flagship IST *G Lounge [2015 onwards Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Lounge Location
IST International Terminal. Near Gate 220

Video walkthrough of the lounge made on 2016-05-25

IST TK Lounge Walkthrough - YouTube

Getting In

Opening Hours: 24 hrs per day

Entrances: 2 entrances - one in the main terminal, another from the far-left side of the check-in area of the airport with separate passport control, Only for TK Business Class passengers or TK Elite Plus in Y, but not Elite or other *G cards, you need to go through main passport control and enter from airside). Entry in the main terminal is done by automated gates. You need a boarding pass with your status on it, if that is not present, please ask the lounge matrons and they'll manually let you in. It is also necessary to consult the front desk if you're bringing a guest(s).

Dedicated entry from the check in area (far left side as you face security/immigration) is only open from 5am to 12am midnight, outside of those hours you must enter the main terminal first and use that entrance.

Prior noted in this wiki, was that there was three entrances, however that one is an exit only that can be found in the lower level of the lounge.

Bag Storage: There are lockers right next to the main entrance on both floors. Lockers are emptied at night.

Eligibility:
Business Class travellers on international flights operated by Turkish Airlines,
Miles&Smiles Elite and Elite Plus members (they may invite their families or one guest),
Star Alliance Gold members (they may invite one guest),
First and Business Class travellers on flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines.

Must travel on Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance

The lounge cannot be accessed through Priority Pass or by paying at the entrance. There are many other pay lounges at IST.

Multiple Entries:
If you're connecting and want to visit Istanbul, you can enter the lounge with your connecting BP, enjoy the lounge then go back to Immigration, enter Turkey, and come back to the lounge after your visit.

To go landside from the lounge: leave the lounge on the upper level and walk straight toward the food court. Just before the food court there is a set of stairs on the left (look for signs to the mosque) that takes you down to the arrival level, and then to the immigration counters.

Facilities

Working
Free Wi-Fi (you get the code by scanning your boarding pass at machines dotted around the lounge)
Showers
Printers and computers

Eating
Extensive Food and Drink Areas

Upstairs:
Turkish desserts, ie baklava
Nut station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Kofte/grill station
Pasta
Mezze
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Downstairs:
Turkish "special of the month"/chef's station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Simit cart
Kofte/grill station
Pasta
Mezze
Make-your-own-tea/wellness tea station
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic), stands throughout the lounge
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Early morning food differences
"Turkish special of the month" chef's station serving breakfast foods instead (e.g. gozleme)
Kofte station replaced by made-to-order omelette bar/breakfast items
Mini-simits, croissants, and other breakfast pastries
Demel cakes not taken out until ~ 8am
Turkish desserts not taken out until after 8am
Mezze station replaced by muesli, yogurt station

Smoking
This is a non smoking lounge, smoking area is upstairs at the far end of the terminal.

Relaxing
Relaxation Rooms (see below)
Ironing service
Newspapers and Library
Media wall
Pool Table
Golf simulator
RC car track
Self-playing piano
2x Xbox systems with FIFA and NBA

Sleeping in the Lounge

There are 5-7 relaxation rooms.

Eligibility:
4-7 hour layover for TK Business and Elite Plus customers in Economy Class.
International to International connections only

You can only use them only if you are connecting to/from a longhaul Turkish Airlines flight (8+ hours) AND your layover is between 4 and 7 hours.
Couches throughout the lounge.

You may be eligible for a free hotel outside the airport.
Print Wikipost

TK's Flagship IST *G Lounge [2015 onwards Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've read a lot about this one...I assume it's for those flying 3-cabin F on TK metal only, right?

Did you sample (or notice) their selection of Scotch?

LH FCT still occupies the #1 slot for me. Only place I've ever been where I wanted to shoo them away when they came to gather me for my flight. Can you just hold the 747 while I finish one more Glenfarclas? They only have Johnnie Blue on the flight...
TK does not have F service. They sometimes wet lease jets with 3 cabins where you can luck into an F seat.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
It's for all *G which is why it has historically had a crowding problem but it has more than doubled in size in the last year so I think the crowding should be a thing of the past. I was just there this week and it was very tranquil compared to how it has been. I didn't try the wifi, however.

There are even more luggage lockers in the downstairs area and the food selection has increased with the addition of sesame bagel/pretzel things and some kind of Turkish meat filled tortellini. The dessert table seemed well filled out and they have replicated every one of the upstairs food stations downstairs too. They have a couple of kinds of Scotch but nothing particularly notable that jumped out (I'm not much of a scotch drinker so didn't pay too much attention). On the Bourbon/Tennessee side they have Woodford Reserve and Gentleman Jack. I don't do much O/D travel to IST but they also have a security line that goes right into the lounge from check-in which I'm sure saves a lot of time.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Ah...makes sense now why this lounge gets so much love. It's certainly better than any J, Star Gold, or Oneworld equivalent lounge I've ever set foot in. In the category of best lounge outside of the 3-cabin F lounges, it might very well be the best.

I know the Virgin Clubhouses are good but I've only been in the IAD one. Smaller lounge with great service, of course.

Maybe I'll route one of my next *A trips through there...I've also heard good things about TK as an airline...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:40 am

TK is a good airline. My only complaints are that they keep the planes too hot in flight - I always wear short sleeves when I fly TK, even in winter - and (perhaps for related reasons) a disproportionate number of the pax seem to have a body odor problem compared to flying other European airlines (although SU is a close second with this problem).
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is this the lounge primeclass vip sells access to? or is that a separate lounge?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:19 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Crowding can be a problem but I rarely find the downstairs to be over crowded. When it does get very crowded it can be difficult to get a wifi signal.

As for privacy there is this really nice room to the right as you walk in full of lazy boys. Would be a great place to relax if they didn't insist on blasting music from the tv. I spent four hours in the lounge this morning and they were showing a Coldplay concert in there. Very loud. Oh well

One thing I don't think anyone's ever mentioned in the voluminous number of threads on this lounge - it is fantastically easy to meet people here. There are hordes of people about, some killing many hours. If one isn't shy it is an incredibly easy place to strike up a conversation
The pictures don't make it seem crowded in the least...but whenever I've been, I always found a quiet place in which to feast on the appetizers.

Sure, it's crowded - we just add to the scrum, don't we? - but the rest of the terminal isn't any better!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The pictures don't make it seem crowded in the least...but whenever I've been, I always found a quiet place in which to feast on the appetizers.

Sure, it's crowded - we just add to the scrum, don't we? - but the rest of the terminal isn't any better!
It used to be really bad. Before they opened up the back upstairs area it was virtually impossible to find a place to sit. The staff had gotten so aggressive about clearing tables that I had it happen a few times that I'd set a drink down on a table and go to the buffet only to return to find my drink had been cleared!

When they opened the back area it got a little better but when they opened the downstairs area sometime last year it finally became bearable from a crowd perspective.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Turkish Airlines Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:05 pm

I think it's so much better than Qatar Airways's Al-Mourjan lounge. Although the Al-Mourjan lounge has more stunning architecture, the food selections are dismal in comparison to the TK lounge.

The TK lounge is warmer, cozier, and has fantastic food and service.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
QR HIA new J lounge
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I have to agree that the crowding had always been a problem for me. Glad that they have added the additional level. I do wonder whether that has really solved the crowding around the more interesting food stations. Frankly, the size is a bit of a turn-off for me.

However, it just can't compare to the LH F lounges for interesting food and drink, table service, and the fact that it is an oasis of calm.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've read a lot about this one...I assume it's for those flying 3-cabin F on TK metal only, right?

Did you sample (or notice) their selection of Scotch?

LH FCT still occupies the #1 slot for me. Only place I've ever been where I wanted to shoo them away when they came to gather me for my flight. Can you just hold the 747 while I finish one more Glenfarclas? They only have Johnnie Blue on the flight...
To my knowledge, TK only offers a business class premium cabin, not a first class premium cabin.

I visited this lounge about 10 months ago, when I was on a TK flight from IST to DXB. I was in the TK business class cabin. I am also a Star Alliance Gold member (through Air Canada/Aeroplan). However, at that time, neither my wife and my 17 yr old daughter, had any status with Air Canada/Aeroplan.

I agree that the setting of this lounge is the best I have ever seen. However, I have never been in a true first class lounge - so I do not know if the service or the refreshment options are better in those lounges, compared to this lounge.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I would add that for a business class lounge, it really is high quality.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Been in that lounge twice and it is just another of the long list of things I miss since "The New American Airlines" fiasco began and I lost the Star Alliance.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: CO Pres Plat, then UA Global Services--long expired : (
Anyone know if this lounge can be accessed upon arrival (via TK J from USA around 1700h; TK J connection +36h from arrival)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.