Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

New to TK: Overall Good, But What's Up w/ Africa Routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, TK Gold

Hi everyone -

I am a longtime DL plat and I recently did a status match on TK.

First TK trip last week (MRS-IST-ADD) and I was pleased overall with the experience. Obviously, the lounge in IST is the tops.

But there is a potential deal-breaker for me: the planes it seems TK is putting on the African routes are horrendous, old, single-aisle Boeings. Very uncomfortable and bad. I had "business class" on the IST-ADD route and, service-aside, it's not business class: just an old economy seat with the middle seat left open. Friends in economy complained that the lav ran out of water. Similar bad, old, single-aisle planes on the IST-DAR route.

Does anyone know what the deal with this is? Does TK have any intention of phasing out these old planes? Is this just something they do on the African routes? Where are the good planes?

Thanks!

Last edited by uptownnow; Nov 20, 2014 at 2:30 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:20 am

I am surprised to hear that. They actually use their best equipment 737-900er for african flights.

Which date did you fly? There might have been an equipment swap on that particular day, but except for that the 739 is really comfortable since it has a dedicated business class configuration.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by uptownnow
Does TK have any intention of phasing out these old planes?
Considering that the Africa routes get some of their newest aircraft (which have an average of 2 years), I highly doubt that.

You probably got unlucky and had an aircraft swap on your particular flight. However in general, I find the 737-900ERs that TK operates to be a good reason to choose them ABOVE most of the other operators.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uptownnow
it's not business class: just an old economy seat with the middle seat left open.
Make sure to not book "business" class on any intra-European flights from Lufthansa, Air France, SAS, British Airways, etc.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: AP, BA
IST-JNB-CPT

I'm booking GVA-CPT and had a similar question to the OP about the likely equipment on this route -- because prices look too good to be true.

I understand that the equipment could change...but flightaware.com shows consistent use of A333 for the last few weeks on this route.

If I got an A333, would that usually be flat seats/newer aircraft/2x2x2?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: AP, BA
Update: I found this potentially helpful thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...t-codes-2.html

This thread says that the A333 are usually new equipment.

I'd like to be a bit more confident. Does anyone know of a page that lists refurb status/configuration by fin number, or which describes aircraft generally in use on this route specifically?

Again, any advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:53 am

All A333 have the new interior. They all came directly through Airbus, so they are configured according to TK's wishes. As you can see, JNB ist consistently served by A333s.
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/tk40/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.