Wiki Posts
Search

IST Layover

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CM PP DL GM
IST Layover

I have a 6 hour layover in IST , I know that they offer tours but my flight arrives at 7 PM and leave at 1 AM is it worth going to town or just stay in lounge
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
It's pretty spectacular to walk around Sultanamet and see the blue mosque. You will instantly recognize it from photos and movies. However, I think most of the attractions will be closed at that hour and you will spend a lot of time getting back and forth. The lounge is great and worth spending extra time there. Unless the weather is nice and you have a burning desire to see the city, I would say stay in the lounge. I would also suggest you find a way to extend your layover 24 hours, pay for a hotel and visit the city during the day time. It is well worth it.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Also bear in mind that in order to book the tour you have to first clear immigration, then queue up at the Hotel Desk and then wait for your tour to be processed. I haven't taken the city tour myself but for a hotel room this wait time can be an hour.

IST also has extended security, where you need to go through a metal detector when you first enter the airport (and there's no priority queue there, as far as I'm aware) so in order not to risk missing your flight you'd need to be back at the airport rather early.

All of this combined means that you'd a) get to the city quite late; b) have only a few hours left of your total of 6.

Like TH310 said above, just using the time to relax at the lounge would likely be a lot better option. The lounge over there really is quite fantastic.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you I guess the lounge would be this time don't have the option to stay longer this time
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:14 pm

You can jump on the train, takes you right down to Sultanamet, a wonderful place to walk around on a nice evening, even if most of the stuff is closed. Get a hot drink from one of the guys in the carts or enjoy a beer and dinner while looking over the water. I say this assuming you get fast track through customs, don't mind paying for the visa (can be done online ahead of time) and don't mind only spending a couple hours in the area.

My last time through, customs only took about 10 minutes (coming from ORD), walked right to the metro and took it downtown. You should be down there by 8:00-8:30 at latest. depart at 10:00, take the *G express line into the lounge, relax for an hour and head to the plane.

The lounge is also a nice place to spend a few hours.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Sultanahmet (h included).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Sounds like a good Idea

Originally Posted by purelywasted
You can jump on the train, takes you right down to Sultanamet, a wonderful place to walk around on a nice evening, even if most of the stuff is closed. Get a hot drink from one of the guys in the carts or enjoy a beer and dinner while looking over the water. I say this assuming you get fast track through customs, don't mind paying for the visa (can be done online ahead of time) and don't mind only spending a couple hours in the area.

My last time through, customs only took about 10 minutes (coming from ORD), walked right to the metro and took it downtown. You should be down there by 8:00-8:30 at latest. depart at 10:00, take the *G express line into the lounge, relax for an hour and head to the plane.

The lounge is also a nice place to spend a few hours.
Where can I leave my carryon bag how do I get fast track at customs , I am coming from Malaga going to China arriving in Y and Leaving in C any ideas how much money should I change in TL thank you
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
Where can I leave my carryon bag how do I get fast track at customs , I am coming from Malaga going to China arriving in Y and Leaving in C any ideas how much money should I change in TL thank you
the lounge has passcode-protected lockers. you can leave it there
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I have a similar question. I arrive on the flight from Singapore at about 6:30AM, leaving at 2PM only.

I would like to see some of the city. The walk seems like a good idea. The beer too - I know nothing about Turkey, I hope this is alright by the locals.

If I arrive at the airport 2 hours before departure, given the fact that I have my boarding pass in hand already, and that all my luggage is stowed, will it be enough time (and comfortable) or am I taking a chance here? Once again, I know next to nothing about Turkey, but I would love to know.

I also heard good things about TK, coming from UA, should I get my expectations up or down?

Sorry for all these questions. Just very curious, that's all.

And, one last question... how do you say thank you in Turkish?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:09 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by skidooman
I also heard good things about TK, coming from UA, should I get my expectations up or down?
Just answering this one, I would have thought things can't get any worse than UA (In Star Alliance terms)

Last edited by starflyergold; Oct 20, 2014 at 7:16 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Coming from UA also on Air Calin you can keep your expectations higher

Thank you in Turkish is 'teşekkür ederim' (pronounced tɛʃɛcːyɾ ɛdeɾim), TE-SH-QU-ERR ED-ERR-IM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:39 pm

When I arrive in IST from LAX I go down to the far end of passport control. I think it is lane 30. Showing my gold card has given me access to this lane which usually doesn't have anyone in it. A BP might also work. I get an evisa beforehand which I think is $20 online and lasts for 180 days. I think there is more info on that in this forum.

Returning to the airport: go all the way to the end of the International terminal (if arriving by taxi). I think it is the last door. There is a security check for elites/business class travelers. (This is the first of two security checks.). Leave plenty of time to get to your gate even though you may be tempted to remain in the lounge! And, keep an eye on the monitor for gate changes.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Thanks all for your precious input.

Well, I am definitely looking forward to my return trip from SIN now on Nov. 20.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 pm
Suspended

At that time of the day you could go to Yesilkoy for a nice fish dinner,there are dozens of fish places there and its generally a nice part of town,although the restaurants tend to be very full. Takes 10 minutes in a cab for less than 10 us.

There is also left lugage facilities on the arival level,turn right as you exit,its on your right a bit before the Starbucks,open 24 hrs,no need to go to the lounge just to leave your bag.

Last edited by geirfugl; Oct 20, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:13 pm

Good to hear there are other options than the lounge for leaving luggage. I think getting to the lounge from arrivals would require going back through passport control and security and make things complicated.

I've taken the tram into Sultanahmet before from IST but don't remember enough of the details to advise someone how to do it. Wasn't too difficult though. Would be nice if those instructions could be part of this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.