Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

I hate TK...because I gained 10 lbs from eating in the lounge and the flights

I hate TK...because I gained 10 lbs from eating in the lounge and the flights

Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Breakfast

Sadly not as good, after the gorging the previous night

Give this man a hand!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:26 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Give YOURSELF a hand! What a delightful report.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
Give YOURSELF a hand! What a delightful report.
Thanks Ericka!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Wonderful pictures!

I now have to make an excuse to transit in IST.

Can I use the lounge if I connect domestically in Turkey? I'm thinking of doing SFO-IST-ASR (Kayseri) to see Cappacdocia.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Wonderful pictures!

I now have to make an excuse to transit in IST.

Can I use the lounge if I connect domestically in Turkey? I'm thinking of doing SFO-IST-ASR (Kayseri) to see Cappacdocia.
Sorry, international flights only!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

TK 21
PEK to IST

Very similar food to the TK20 route, except I felt that catering out of Beijing was nowhere as good as from Istanbul. However, the main course I had, red snapper fillets, was delicious, fresh, and perfectly cooked.

Similar amuse bouches

Salmon fillet appetizers I think

TK's awesome miniature salt/pepper shakers

Similar potato leek soup

The red snapper fillet was delicious!

Dessert cart, not nearly as good as the custom dessert tray the chef assembled for me on the way in.

Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

TK 1587
IST to FRA

I was so full, and only dabbled at the lunch. The important thing was that I managed to take pictures of it!

Was tired of this particular appetizer tray, given that I had it on my PEK-IST flight.

I think everyone on the flight wanted the Borek.

Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Wanted to add a few more thoughts.

1) The lounge dragons guarding the dayrooms were very strict about only admitting ppl with layovers of 4-7 hours, going by the times on your boarding passes, and not actually by when you landed.

2) The lounge dragons/concierge can also give you electric outlet adapters, but you'll have to exchange your boarding pass for it.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I agree that their mid flight snack set up was a little on the weak side, but I didn't mind at all - I couldn't imagine eating anything in between meals. I was stuffed. And I feel like the crew are instructed to get rid of all the food - everytime I would get up to use the restroom I had at least two crew members ask if I wanted anything to eat. It got to the point when I would get up, I would look at them, smile and say, "no more food please" before they'd even ask!! I've heard that their inflight service is hit or miss but all my flights with them have been wonderful, and I have found the crew to be very friendly. Glad you enjoyed your trip!!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:37 am

That's almost 1 pound gained per hour at the lounge. Nice work!

Agree, the lounge is truly extraordinary.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've flown TK biz a couple of times, probably 5-6 years ago, but don't recall such a nice lounge in IST. Has it always been so nice?

A really great report, and fabulous pictures.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I agree that their mid flight snack set up was a little on the weak side, but I didn't mind at all - I couldn't imagine eating anything in between meals. I was stuffed. And I feel like the crew are instructed to get rid of all the food - everytime I would get up to use the restroom I had at least two crew members ask if I wanted anything to eat. It got to the point when I would get up, I would look at them, smile and say, "no more food please" before they'd even ask!! I've heard that their inflight service is hit or miss but all my flights with them have been wonderful, and I have found the crew to be very friendly. Glad you enjoyed your trip!!
The customer service on all my flights were excellent! I've heard it can be hit or miss, but all the crew members on my flight were young and proactive.

- Drink service could've had more refills, but honestly, I never noticed since I was concentrating on finishing all the food in front of me.

- IFE was AWESOME. Also, loved that it was available to watch on the ground, pre-takeoff, and after landing. Other carriers, take note.

- They observed business class priority boarding from IST-PEK, but other times it was just everyone for themselves. So that's definitely one area they could improve.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've flown TK biz a couple of times, probably 5-6 years ago, but don't recall such a nice lounge in IST. Has it always been so nice?

A really great report, and fabulous pictures.
Jaimito, I think it has been especially nice only in the last year, when they added the new lower level and expanded the upper level with a new wing.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Question: are the nut bar and Turkish desserts upstairs only? I didn't observe any on the lower floor.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Question: are the nut bar and Turkish desserts upstairs only? I didn't observe any on the lower floor.
Yes, the large part of desserts are upstairs, first station upon entry.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
No - it is a relatively new one - and the basement level is even newer (opened early this year).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.