Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK : FCO - IST - SFO or LAX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

TK : FCO - IST - SFO or LAX

I'm new to flyer talk and Turkish Airlines, but not new to traveling. I'm planning a monthly long trip to Rome next July. I was able to use my AA miles to Rome, but not back. So, while looking for really low one-way fares on ITA, I saw that TK offers $475 flights from FCO to either LAX or SFO via IST. I usually use AA miles, so I've never actually booked a flight to/from Europe with cash!

I've never flown this airline, so I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it too soon to book the flight for July 2015? Will fares go down? Will other carriers have cheaper flights later?
2. Reviews for this carrier seem all over the place. How would you rate your experiences?
3. I will be traveling with my daughter (12), my mom (75) and aunt (70). All are very fit, so walking isn't an issue, but is a 2 hour layover in IST enough time to transfer?
4. Since it's an international flight to US, we're allowed 2 checked bags each? Even though our 1st stop is IST, correct, since we'll hopefully be booked through.
5. Which would be a better flight? SFO or LAX. In either case, we'll be having to catch a Southwest flight when we get in.

I've been hoping an AA award flight would pop up, but only the more expensive Anytime awards are available.....

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I've flown on TK a number of times and love them. Especially if I don't have to call them. I try only to email and book online. Actually, I have had successful phone conversations with them, but always feel a little stress leading up to the call since I never know if the communication will be good or if I will be on Hold for very long.

IMHO you will not find a less expensive one-way flight from the West Coast. I would grab this flight if you really want it. I think TK is trying to promote their SFO-IST flights

I fly their Comfort Class, but I have heard Economy from the West Coast is still much better than other Airlines. I haven't flown on any of the Asian Airlines, but I will say that the food in Comfort Class (which is their Premium Economy and not offered from SFO) beats any of the Business Class American and European Flights I have taken.

It looks like a 30 hour flight from FCO to SFO. This means a layover in IST from 22:35 to 13:05 the next day. I did not see a 2 hour connection in July. I also did not see the pricing that you are referencing for LAX.

But guess what? TK will pay for a hotel if the following criteria are met:

Originally Posted by starflyergold

Turkish Airlines offer free hotel accommodation at IST airport (or a tour of Istanbul) to connecting passengers based on the following:

Rules:

- There is more than 10 hours (7 or more hours for business class passengers) between two international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule for a maximum 2 nights. Comfort Class is considered economy in this context.

- The layover time is calculated on the schedule not your booking. Let me explain: If the schedule shows an outgoing flight within the 10/7 hours window, even if you are not booked on the earlier flight (or couldn't book because it was full), you won't be able to take advantage of the free hotel/tour offer.

- You must be on an incoming TK and outgoing TK flight (other Star Alliance flights are not applicable for this offer).
Since I only fly TK occasionally (that is, whenever I can) perhaps some of the regular TK flyers can add to this or correct any errors in my post. I would also add that IST is amazing and actually has some Roman ruins!! You did not say the purpose of your month in Rome, but if you are sight-seeing, you might want to even spend more time in IST if you have not been there before. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:03 pm

1. I don't know
2. Turkish Air is a solid airline. Better than most US carriers (especially the legacies). Food isn't bad in econ, and in-flight entertainment is decent.
3. Yes, 2 hours should be sufficient. IST is a pretty big airport, but all the international flights are in one terminal.
4. Yes, that should be the case.
5. Depends. I've never flown into LAX via an international flight, but out of the half dozen times or so I've flown into SFO from abroad, I've only had one lengthy trip through immigration and customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.