Wiki Posts
Search

Want to extend layover in IST

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Want to extend layover in IST

I'm flying LAX to CDL in May in Comfort Class on TK (change in IST both directions). I already have my ticket. On the return flight, we arrive in IST from CDL around 4 PM. We depart the next day to LAX around 1 PM. I don't mind spending the night in IST and, in fact, will have dinner with a friend there.

However, I'd like to leave CDL even earlier to have more time in IST. There is an earlier TK flight leaving CDL at 8:20 in the morning, arriving IST around noon. I was never offered this option when trying to book my reservation online.

My current flight time is 38:05. Changing to an earlier flight would increase it to over 41:00, but I want the extra time in IST anyway. I'm planning to call Turkish Airlines to see if I can make the change. Before I do, I thought I'd better check with the FT experts to see if I am overlooking anything with this plan.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:40 pm

I think there is a way to find other connections by clicking on the multiway icon. You can still enter the same iternary for both legs, but you will get a full list of all connections you can imagine. However, from my own experience in most cases this is more expensive.

Now, you can try to change your booking online or call the hotline
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by TH310
However, I'd like to leave CDL even earlier to have more time in IST. There is an earlier TK flight leaving CDL at 8:20 in the morning, arriving IST around noon. I was never offered this option when trying to book my reservation online.
If I follow you, the earlier flight will result in a layover of more than 24 hours in IST. This makes a difference: from a connection it becomes a stopover. Not all rates allow free stopovers, and this may be the reason why you weren't offered this option when you made the booking. Changing your flight may result in a fee, depending on the specific fare rules of your ticket.

Shuly
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
I am wondering where is CDL ?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am in the same situation, though I have an award ticket. For some reason though I'm starting to believe that TK use married segments as the first segment is shown as I0 when searching ARN-IST-JFK, whereas it shows as I4 when searching for just the ARN-IST. Am I screwed with the married segments issue or should it be possible to book a stopover?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:42 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
I am wondering where is CDL ?
Same. It must not be Candle, Alaska...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Sorry. CDG not CDL. I called to make the change to the earlier flight. There was a small charge totaling about $45 for two of us. I had another question about luggage and he volunteered that, now that I had a 24 hour stopover, that I could not check my bags all the way through to LAX. We are flying carry-on anyway, so that's not an issue. I'm thinking this also might eliminate the possibility of a free hotel room, but we had not planned to take advantage of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.