Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines security measures US/UK-bound @IST

Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others

Has anybody flown Turkish Airlines lately from IST bound for the US & UK? I was there two weeks ago, and the security was unbelievable, like nothing I've ever experienced in my life.

First, there was an x-ray screening just to get into the airport, but I expected that. Then there was a screening when checking luggage.

There was an x-ray screening to enter the general gates area.

Then there was another screening to enter the gate itself, and yet another screening after you've entered the gate, then another couple of screenings to board the plane.

I counted 7 security screenings in total, which made everybody late and the plane was delayed for over an hour.

Give yourself at least 2 1/2 hours to get through all of these security checks, all of which are a repetition of each other.

Is the point of all this to keep security screeners employed, or does this abundant security make us very, very safe?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: TK Elite
I've underwent the exact same process 2 weeks ago flying to LAX from IST and I agree it's completely ridiculous.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: skymiles
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
Has anybody flown Turkish Airlines lately from IST bound for the US & UK? I was there two weeks ago, and the security was unbelievable, like nothing I've ever experienced in my life.

First, there was an x-ray screening just to get into the airport, but I expected that. Then there was a screening when checking luggage.

Then there was another screening to enter the gate itself, and yet another screening after you've entered the gate, then another couple of screenings to board the plane.

I counted 7 security screenings in total, which made everybody late and the plane was delayed for over an hour.

Give yourself at least 2 1/2 hours to get through all of these security checks, all of which are a repetition of each other.

Is the point of all this to keep security screeners employed, or does this abundant security make us very, very safe?
This is very common for flights going to the U.S....I have been on many flights originating in Europe with destination the U.S. and have always gone thru additional security screening.

Last edited by dlinsider; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:20 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So if I have a 2hr layover. Will there be enough time to visit the lounge or should I proceed straight to the boarding gate for my USA bound flight?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by LH4116
So if I have a 2hr layover. Will there be enough time to visit the lounge or should I proceed straight to the boarding gate for my USA bound flight?
I proceeded to the gate at 12:00 PM for my flight to LAX departing at 12:55, I was at my seat in Y+ by 12:35 so I would say you have time but it obviously depends on how busy things are then...
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:38 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Some of these are US mandated, secondary screening and boarding screening for example. The recent shoe explosives warning doesn't help.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Some of these are US mandated, secondary screening and boarding screening for example. The recent shoe explosives warning doesn't help.
I departed IST on BA less than a year ago, and don't remember such extreme security or so many lines. It seemed like they set up another checkpoint everywhere there was room for another desk.

Don't get me wrong, my experience flying TA was very good while actually on the plane. They must have very poor on-time performance due to this issue.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: skymiles
I departed IST on BA less than a year ago, and don't remember such extreme security or so many lines. It seemed like they set up another checkpoint everywhere there was room for another desk.

Don't get me wrong, my experience flying TA was very good while actually on the plane. They must have very poor on-time performance due to this issue.
If you departed on BA you were probably headed to London and not directly to the U.S....additional screening is usually for U.S bound flights only.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlinsider
If you departed on BA you were probably headed to London and not directly to the U.S....additional screening is usually for U.S bound flights only.
That's correct, the destination was London, with a transfer to JFK on AA.

I don't remember there was an unusual number of security checkpoints at Heathrow airport for US-bound flights.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

This is not dissimilar to what they do on US bound flights out of BOG (except no x-ray to enter the airport). I suspect they are responding to specific US instructions re heightened security screening.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I don't see how repeating the same security checks over and over makes anyone safer. Only annoyed and late.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: TK Classic, A3
As I know-
You proceed from the 1. security check before entering to airport (In Turkey,all airports have those.)
At check-in, your luggage is controlled-not opening, by sticking a sticker.- and after it you check in it.
Then you proceed from passport control and 2. security control.
FOR FLIGHTS TO UK
You pass from a boarding pass-visa control,then you can enter to boarding lounge.
FOR FLIGHTS TO USA
You need to pass from a third security check.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I don't see how repeating the same security checks over and over makes anyone safer. Only annoyed and late.
The problem is that they are not repeating the same security checks over and over again. In the first check, they may not have looked for all the specific things that the US is requiring this week, so they have to do a second screening to meet US requirements. It saves them having to keep adjusting their standard screening and retrain their entire screening staff just to meet a temporary requirement of one country.

As a cost-effective way of managing the ever-changing requirements of US security, it makes sense. However, it doesn't make it pleasant for US bound passengers, nor does it appear sensible to screen people multiple times. Whether it makes you safer depends on whether the latest requirement of US security is legitimate or not.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status

So how does this look for us-bound passengers in transit? How many layers of checks?

...beginning to wonder if my layover times are sufficient!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
So how does this look for us-bound passengers in transit? How many layers of checks?

...beginning to wonder if my layover times are sufficient!
My most recent transit around a week ago went as follows:

Inbound flight arrived late - 85 minutes before departure of outbound flight. It was a bus gate - I was in the first bus.

Immediately on arrival in the terminal headed to international departures, went through security.

Immediately proceeded to departure gate - no lounge for me on this trip. The lounge was in the opposite direction from the departure gate.

Arrived at gate - long line to process into the holding pen.

Net result. I waited in the holding pen for about 10 minutes before they started boarding.

Could I have gone to the lounge? Sure, if I was just looking for more exercise. It would have taken about 15 minutes just to get to and from the lounge, so I could have walked to the lounge and back. I could have grabbed something to take with me and headed back to the gate.

I hope this gives you some sense of whether you can make it. I would say if your scheduled connection time is 75 minutes or less, you should hope for no delays and favorable winds. If your connection time is more than 75 minutes, you will make your flight. If it is more than 90 minutes, you can start thinking about going to the lounge.

Edited to add: While I would hardly call myself fit, I am able-bodied and capable of walking smartly, which I did for the entire transit. This was not a stroll. If you are less able or have the challenging of herding children/other family members, I would add some time to this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.