Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by xxlboy
there are really good award from IST-dar business for only 25K...
any recommendation ?
Award to Tanzania (DAR or JRO) miles-wise is the best. Please note that TK flies 737-900 on that and most of African routes available for 25k in C. No lie flat, comfort class seats. Short haul international catering. Twice TK provides hotel if same day connection cannot be made also on award trips ^ I like Tanzania very much - safaris, Kilimanjaro, Zanzbar Beaches, etc.

There are some other 25k African destinations which might be of interest - Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:23 pm

So, has anyone heard...

...when these changes are effective, and/or if there will be grandfathering for existing reservations? I have a r/t flight on April in "P" class. Under the current rules, I can earn miles on M&S -- not on United, my regular carrier, though. With the changes, I don't get credit in P so I'm hoping for a late rollout.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by NellieVA
...when these changes are effective, and/or if there will be grandfathering for existing reservations? I have a r/t flight on April in "P" class. Under the current rules, I can earn miles on M&S -- not on United, my regular carrier, though. With the changes, I don't get credit in P so I'm hoping for a late rollout.
Where have you read that P class will not earn mileage anymore? The last information I got was quite non-specific, but the newsletter we got announcing the changes stated that "All tickets will earn miles including promotional tickets"
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:50 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by HasteFlier
Where have you read that P class will not earn mileage anymore?
I think NellieVA refers to UA P-class (Discounted Business), not TK P-class.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by TPJ
My bad ! Sorry for the misunderstanding
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I hope they won't be pulling the same ugly stunt as Lufthansa did by lowering the partner earnings as well. 100% on all UA fares is still pretty good IMHO.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LH4116
I hope they won't be pulling the same ugly stunt as Lufthansa did by lowering the partner earnings as well. 100% on all UA fares is still pretty good IMHO.
You NEWER got 100pct on ALL UA fares,newer got anything on N fares,which translates to domestic MR fares.

FYO.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TPJ
Nope. S/he referred to TK P fares.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by geirfugl
You NEWER got 100pct on ALL UA fares,newer got anything on N fares,which translates to domestic MR fares.

FYO.
Nice to have you back geirfugl!
True the N fare isn't on the chart because it's a new booking class and the people at TK haven't entered it in their systems yet. On SAS it wasn't entered in their charts either, so people who flew N didn't get any miles. But once it was entered they were able to retroclaim the miles. In other words it's only a matter of time before N gets credit as well.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: NH*G, TK*G
I am going to fly with TK in May (Booking class: P).
Under the current rule, I can earn 100% miles.
It is certain that the accrual rate for such low fare class will go down under the new rule.
The largest problem for me is that when the new rule will be in effect
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by NH2176
I am going to fly with TK in May (Booking class: P).
Under the current rule, I can earn 100% miles.
It is certain that the accrual rate for such low fare class will go down under the new rule.
The largest problem for me is that when the new rule will be in effect
Hopefully they will allow some time before the changes come into effect. Lufthansa did for instance announce their massive enhancements during the spring of 2012, and have them come into effect on Sep 1. Hopefully TK will do something similar, once they reveal the damages that will be made.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Does anybody actually know which clases will be afected or how much???,if TK introduces a LH like chart its a major,major understatement to say that its a giant depreciation of the program!!!. TK only says they will change the system,nothing abouth how and when. I have trips booked that should make me E+ under the old system,but I have NO IDEA what the results of the "enhancement" will be!

With all due respect to TK "romantics",this seems like a fairly standard TK way to go abouth its bussines!.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:15 pm

I have trips booked that should make me E+ under the old system,but I have NO IDEA what the results of the "enhancement" will be!
Usually airlines tend to honor bookings that are already made and let them earn miles as per the old chart. If they sold you a ticket that earns 100% at the time, then they are obliged to deliver what they promised.

With all due respect to TK "romantics",this seems like a fairly standard TK way to go abouth its bussines!.
I had the opportunity to chat with TK's head of corporate sales during last year's ITB Expo in Berlin, and I did remember bringing up the question about the low status thresholds and generous earnings on cheap fares. He replied by saying that based on their calculations the average Elite/Elite Plus customer generates sufficient revenue for these thresholds to be worthwhile. It's interesting how they changed their mind so quickly.

On the other hand though Miles&Smiles is a fairly small program in relation to the number of passengers who fly TK every year. Around 3 million members of which 70-100K is Elite or Elite Plus, and with 40 million (estimated 60 million 2014) passengers traveling each year.

Take this in comparison with SAS who fly around 25 million passengers per year, and aim to have 5 million EuroBonus members by 2016. Today roughly 80K are EB Gold, but that number will most likely increase to 100K as the new Diamond level will be able to gift Gold cards like free candies.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LH4116
Usually airlines tend to honor bookings that are already made and let them earn miles as per the old chart. If they sold you a ticket that earns 100% at the time, then they are obliged to deliver what they promised.

I had the opportunity to chat with TK's head of corporate sales during last year's ITB Expo in Berlin, and I did remember bringing up the question about the low status thresholds and generous earnings on cheap fares. He replied by saying that based on their calculations the average Elite/Elite Plus customer generates sufficient revenue for these thresholds to be worthwhile. It's interesting how they changed their mind so quickly.

On the other hand though Miles&Smiles is a fairly small program in relation to the number of passengers who fly TK every year. Around 3 million members of which 70-100K is Elite or Elite Plus, and with 40 million (estimated 60 million 2014) passengers traveling each year.

Take this in comparison with SAS who fly around 25 million passengers per year, and aim to have 5 million EuroBonus members by 2016. Today roughly 80K are EB Gold, but that number will most likely increase to 100K as the new Diamond level will be able to gift Gold cards like free candies.
70.000 TK E!!,so I gues their ALL in the IST lounge from time to time
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:13 pm

70.000 TK E!!,so I gues their ALL in the IST lounge from time to time
By reading from the annual report of 2011 there were 38K Elite and 14K Elite Plus at the time. With the expansion and matching spree (unless those only include a handful savvy FT:ers) I would estimate the total number of Elite or higher to be around 70K.

I guess it's still a fairly small proportion compared to other airlines. BA has more than 90K Gold members and likely twice as many Silver members, and they carry roughly the same if not fewer passengers annually than TK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.