Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by geirfugl
The redemption levels for customers with Garanti bank credit cards have reverted to the old levels,my guestimate is that abouth 95 percent of TKs turkish status customers use this card,while 99 percent of their foreign customers cannot obtain it. So is this making a 2 tier system or not?,in my opinion it is,bcs this credit card is not generally available outside of Turkey,I can travel from OSL to Tanzania for 20K,you pay,I believe,4o K.That is rather fishy to me,and I would supose even more to YOU!!!

The acrual is still the same,but it would not surprise me if there will be good news comming.The text of the mail I received says that there are "no bad news abouth MS",so it would not surprise me if extra acrual is forthcoming in the future,quite possibly in the form of some sort of bonus miles for customers with Garanti Bank TK afiliated cards,but this is ofcs only speculation,but highly logical given the wording of their message.
It is quiet interesting if TK decides to discriminate their foreign member to such an extend. I have no numbers, but I would assume that a large portion of their high-revenue MS members are foreigners and this is for sure not a way to keep them happy.

There have always been huge downsides with TK, but I and many others have chosen to still be loyal because of the upsides, but at some point the downsides gets too big and people are moving to other airlines.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
I called to upgrade a flight from ADB to IST from economy to business and was charged 12500 per person one way for the upgrade. Is this correct? My understanding is that it should be half of this according to the 'new' M&S site?
Any ideas?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: FB platinum, M&S elite+, M&B gold
Originally Posted by dhoward
I called to upgrade a flight from ADB to IST from economy to business and was charged 12500 per person one way for the upgrade. Is this correct? My understanding is that it should be half of this according to the 'new' M&S site?
Any ideas?
Using their new upgrade award calculator, you are absolutely right, it should be half of the amount you mention, an upgrade award from domestic region to domestic region from economy to business class requires 6250 miles one way.

It is worth mentioning their official rule as reported in the wikipost is not straightforward: "Miles required for upgrade will be calculated from 50% of the Limited Capacity Business Award Mile value". In fact, a ONE WAY upgrade award requires 50% of the ROUND TRIP Limited Capacity Business Award Mile value. In other words, a ONE WAY upgrade award requires 100% of the ONE WAY Limited Capacity Business Award Mile value. Someone may want to correct the wikipost, along with the miles needed for a companion award (70% instead of 75% of the standard award value).

Now if you take a look at their Limited Capacity Business Award (ONE WAY) tables, the table reads '6250 for Turkey x Domestic, Business'.

Let us know should you get clarification from TK.

Last edited by UlyssesParis; Jul 27, 2014 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Originally Posted by UlyssesParis
Using their new upgrade award calculator, you are absolutely right, it should be half of the amount you mention, an upgrade award from domestic region to domestic region from economy to business class requires 6250 miles one way.

Let us know should you get clarification from TK.
I used the upgrade calculator and thought it would be acurate. Why would anyone want to pay the same number of miles to upgrade a flight as to buy it outright?

Question is, as an Elite member, how best to get hold of TK. Their UK number never works, the Turkish number has you on the phone for ages trying to get through and i submitted a query online, but not holding my breath. May try emailing the UK help desk?

Any ideas?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: TK E+
Why would anyone want to pay the same number of miles to upgrade a flight as to buy it outright?
It's TK style - Don't expect a lot of logic and consistency here. I have been loyal to TK for almost 3 years now (traveling 200K+ miles a year) and they never stop surprising me. When they do something that seems way off, you think there is no way they can top this, but yet they find ways and keep presenting even greater stupidities.

Question is, as an Elite member, how best to get hold of TK. Their UK number never works, the Turkish number has you on the phone for ages trying to get through and i submitted a query online, but not holding my breath. May try emailing the UK help desk?

Any ideas?
Do you have a personal connection with a TK ticket office manager somewhere? If not I would simply forget it, even though I totally understand that it pisses you off to get cheated. However, to get any sensible help from the TK customer service in Istanbul is a lost cause unless you are incredible persistent or lucky.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

I used the upgrade calculator and thought it would be acurate. Why would anyone want to pay the same number of miles to upgrade a flight as to buy it outright?

Any ideas?
Call from a Turkish phone,I do this all the time,never have waited more than a couple of minutes,even wanting to "continue in English",do not know if this is done on purpose,but I see all of you non Turkey based People complaining,NEWER been a problem for me.Im only saying that its a tiny,tiny bit strange,nothing more! Although the conection is sometimes horrible,do not know why,telecomunication wise Turkey is normally quite advanced.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
I always call their US 1800 number or their regular Istanbul Customer Service number using Skype. Try to call when it is outside of working hours in Turkey, preferably 11PM-7AM Turkish time. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by cdmca
Istanbul Customer Service number using Skype. Try to call when it is outside of working hours in Turkey, preferably 11PM-7AM Turkish time. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes.
seconded
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by G_G
Yes, Elite Plus members are allowed 10 000 miles overdraft
Originally Posted by LH4116
Overdraft also works for Elite. 10K is the limit, though there are no rules/conditions written on how and when to pay back the miles.
Originally Posted by raunow
Just made a (telephone) booking as Elite. Was allowed up 10K overdraft but no more. CSR tried a 10,7K overdraft but couldn't get it, so I bought 1000 points.

P.S. Booking was an Economy->Business upgrade MUM-IST (7 hours longhaul flight) for only 15K points :-). I'm gonna miss the old reward prices ...
Originally Posted by dabee69
I just booked one more Africa business award. I was allowed to overdraft almost 15k online. Had to buy couple of thousand miles, strictly no more than -15k. It is fantastic deal where one can overdraft more than half of the full award price. Taxes are really high though, more than 300 EUR this time.

I am E+ requalified on the first year of qualification with more than needed in two.
Any of you managed to issue a *A award ticket through call center obtaining a overdraft of miles? (I'm Elite and the reservation is just existing and valid and needs only to be paid).
And what if I book online another award ticket using the overdraft (I've checked and it works) and then I cancel it or try to change it via call center to the other reservation? Will I hold the overdrafted miles? (the 25$ fee is less than transferring/buying miles)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.