Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LH4116
Starting 1 June 2014 Miles&Smiles earning/burning rates are changing.

Here are some of the key changes:

Earning:
- TK earning rates depend on the fare class
- All TK fares will earn, including promotions
- Classic plus members earn more on Comfort and Business class fares
- Elite and elite plus members earn less on business class (175% for C & D or 160% for K & J, previously 200% regardless of booking class) and less on A comfort class booking class (125% instead of 150%) and more on U,O comfort class booking class (160% instead of 150%)
- Domestic flights earn more

Burning:
- High/low seasons have been abandoned
- Burning rates are the same for TK and Star Alliance carriers
- TK promise more capacity controlled award tickets
- One way tickets available at half the rate
- Regions have been revised
- Companion award is now 75% the cost of a regular award, previously 50%
- Miles needed for awards slightly increased (e.g. Europe2 to Far East in Business return: old: 70,000 now 90,000 miles)

Upgrades:
- All TK economy/comfort fares can be now be used for upgrades
- Economy > Business upgrades require half the miles of a full award

Award table has been updated and revised (no changes in some regions, significant changes in others).

What we don't know:
- Will status qualification levels change?
- Will Star Alliance earning rates change?

More info: http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/
Print Wikipost

Significant updates to the M&S programme starting 1 June, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Hope that gets it for you AKP boy.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geirfugl
But,you can buy a ticket,and earn more miles than before on domestic flights for abouth 35 usd if you book early,on Pegasus you can get it for 15 bucks,so???? Domestic taxes are no very high,but I think Pegasus tickets sometimes sell for abouth 3 lira plus tax,t and awailabiliyy is good with adwance booking,that makes 3750 miles seem a tiny amount less enticing!!!

Particularily since TK chrges more tax/fuel than that!!!

Unless you are trying to book domestic flights from an american site,for which TK are runing a clasical Turkish scam charging abouth 8 times the normal prices for domestic tickets,then ofcs 3750 is a real bargain!!!

3750 miles is very,very,very expensive for a ticket that costs you more in taxes than the competition charges for the whole thing,maybe with the exception of the very longest routes,like Kars. That is offcause if your not very particular to the TK chocolate mouse,which I hapend to apreciate a lot!!

what you are saying is only correct if you are living in or around İstanbul.

if you are living in Ankara , need to go to İstanbul Atatürk Airport, you are stuck with Turkish airlines monopoly, they do not allow any other airlines to fly to Atatürk airport from Ankara or most of the other Anatolian cities ( there are some exception, İz air or Atlasjet.. from antalya or izmir), so sometimes , specially if you need to but the ticket only a month ago, you have no chance, generally you have to pay at least 200TL (92 usd) or more... in such a circumstances 3750 miles + 35 TL is a real bargain for me... otherwise I know that I can go to Sabiha Gökçen airport for 45 TL (22usd) almost at any time..

2 years ago , Atlasjet get very special permission to fly to atatürk airport and start to sell the ticket but just before their first flight Turkish airlines and atlasjet make a hidden agreement ( of course everybody knows what kind agreement :-)))
atlasjet cease all the flight and all the passenger who already book to flight from Atlasjet transfered to Turkish airlines flight..

well that is Turkey

that is why I love pegasus , very nice and stable airlines, keep the competition going, but Turkey need at least 2 more big Airlines.

not crapy atlasjet , onurair...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:29 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by aulrik
Maybe the TK marketing team is in fact geniuses and we just don't understand it? :-) You have to present some bad news for the customers. Present it as much worse in the first place and then reduce it to a not-so-bad news after a week. The customers will be happy because the first news wasn't true and feel relieved that after all the changes "wasn't that bad".
Good point!

I actually thought new M&S would be much worse
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
[/QUOTE]4. The whole frequent flier thing is coming to an end,my gues is that ten years down the line it will not matter at all,which is probably a good thing.[/QUOTE]

+1. Agree on this.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:07 pm

Is the upgrade chart on the website for one-way or RT? If for one way, it's cheaper than before, e.g. North America-Domestic econ->comfort used to be 45K RT now 37.5K, comfort->bus used to be 45K now 36K, econ->bus used to be 90K now 45K (seems too good to be true). However if they're one way it doesn't make sense: Bus award ticket RT is 90K but upgrade from econ is the same at 90K?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msc75
Is the upgrade chart on the website for one-way or RT? If for one way, it's cheaper than before, e.g. North America-Domestic econ->comfort used to be 45K RT now 37.5K, comfort->bus used to be 45K now 36K, econ->bus used to be 90K now 45K (seems too good to be true). However if they're one way it doesn't make sense: Bus award ticket RT is 90K but upgrade from econ is the same at 90K?
Yes the upgrade prices are only for one-way. Indeed it makes more sense to buy an award ticket since they cost the same, but I guess when it comes to upgrades you do it for the convenience. Many other FFP's also offer upgrades at the same price as an award.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by LH4116
Yes the upgrade prices are only for one-way. Indeed it makes more sense to buy an award ticket since they cost the same, but I guess when it comes to upgrades you do it for the convenience. Many other FFP's also offer upgrades at the same price as an award.
Don't you earn miles as per original booking class for an upgraded ticket? So if you buy a cheap ticket with a €50-100 base fare then it might be more economical to buy upgrades as you then pay the same taxes & fuel surcharges but pay the upgrade less the miles you earn. Downside is you can't bee 100% sure your upgrade will go through.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:59 am

Then what does this statement mean? : "Miles required for upgrade will be calculated from %50 of the Limited Capacity Business Award Mile value." If those are indeed one way upgrade costs, none of the upgrade values amount to 50% of the one way business award of 45K (econ->bus 45K, comfort->bus 36K, econ->comfort 37.5K).
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by msc75
Then what does this statement mean? : "Miles required for upgrade will be calculated from %50 of the Limited Capacity Business Award Mile value." If those are indeed one way upgrade costs, none of the upgrade values amount to 50% of the one way business award of 45K (econ->bus 45K, comfort->bus 36K, econ->comfort 37.5K).
The TK website isn't known to be well formulated. But what they mean is that the price for a one-way upgrade Y<C is the same cost as a one-way C award.

I am guessing they wrote that before they began messing up the award chart, e.g when all award values posted were stated as round trip.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
The TK website isn't known to be well formulated. But what they mean is that the price for a one-way upgrade Y<C is the same cost as a one-way C award.

I am guessing they wrote that before they began messing up the award chart, e.g when all award values posted were stated as round trip.
Have you confirmed this with TK? Because it's a pretty steep increase. IST-PVG used to be 18-22k for an upgrade from Comfort to Business, one-way.

I find it hard to interpret that when it says it's 50% cost cost of an award, it means: A one-way upgrade is 50% cost of a round-trip. Why not say upgrade cost the same as an award?

And, if that is the case, it's pretty retarded. Who in their right mind would come up with a pricing of upgrades to be the same price as a full blown award ticket?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by johhenrik
Who in their right mind would come up with a pricing of upgrades to be the same price as a full blown award ticket?
It does seem strange but on the other hand, one would still collect mileage on their upgraded ticket and not have to pay the (cash) fees associated with an award ticket.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Personally I have decided to completely ignore http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com with its confusing and blatantly wrong data and just resigned myself to wait until 1 June when hopefully the main site will be updated with the correct data points. Of course this might just be wishful thinking
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by johhenrik
And, if that is the case, it's pretty retarded. Who in their right mind would come up with a pricing of upgrades to be the same price as a full blown award ticket?
If you look at SAS for instance they charge 40K for an Eco<Biz upgrade. That's pretty close to the cost of an award ticket, seeing that they don't charge any YQ on their own metal. Also Lufthansa charges 50K for an Eco<Biz upgrade which is roughly the same as a one-way award.

Upgrades have never been a good deal, and I'm guessing they exist purely for the convenience of not having to look for an award ticket.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:07 pm
Suspended

4. The whole frequent flier thing is coming to an end,my gues is that ten years down the line it will not matter at all,which is probably a good thing.[/QUOTE]

+1. Agree on this.[/QUOTE]

But,what a glory it WAS,abouth ten years ago when you could buy a RTW in FIRST from certain locations for abouth 4000 Euro and get another for almost the same!!!!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
<snip, FT rules>

Re: TK monopoly on Istanbul-Ankara

Could it be that there is not enough O&D traffic on the route to sustain the multiple daily flights that would be necessary to make it viable for business/government travelers? So onward connections from IST, which only TK can provide, make it viable? I am not saying that that is the reason but, given the shortish drive between the two cities, it could be a scenario -- especially if you're on the Asian side, why drive an hour and a half (and deal with the aggravation and schedule risks crossing the bridges) to IST when you can be in Ankara in four hours?

Does anyone fly SAW-ESB?

Last edited by mecabq; Apr 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.