Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

World's longest flight: IST-SYD on TK - eventually

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World's longest flight: IST-SYD on TK - eventually

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I hope this will happen. I agree with previous poster that 1 short + 1 long is psychologically more tempting than 2 longs. If the price is right, particularly in J, it will be a tempting option.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by starflyergold
he new route from Istanbul to Sydney will be the longest commercial flight in the world,
Its is quite a bit shorter than than SIN-EWR (9300 Miles vs 9500 Miles). I know that the SIN-EWR flight will be cancelled later this year, but I am not sure why people are discussing this as something completely unheard off....

By the way, I doubt that TK can make IST-SYD economically, if Singapore Airline failed on SIN-EWR with its much higher demand. However It may just be a prestige project for TK and they are willing to accept losses......
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I booked myself on Newark-Singapore, which is currently the world's longest. I believe flight time is scheduled at 18:30. Looks like I'll have to try this TK route when It's up and running non-stop
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I booked myself on Newark-Singapore, which is currently the world's longest. I believe flight time is scheduled at 18:30. Looks like I'll have to try this TK route when It's up and running non-stop
It is quite an experience. And I will miss the nonstop SIN_EWR and LAX flights. The great service taht SQ offers is part of it. If TK uses the same C that they currently have in their 777 fleet for this flight, the hardware will be significantly better than SQ (provided that you have an isle seat on TK). The SQ seat is just too hard to sleep really well. However, TKs non existent and incompetent service in the air will be hard to tolerate for such a long period.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I found 6-9 hrs flights to be most painful as I won't be able to sleep much - especially when you have kids - if it's a 14+ hours flight, you can tell them to watch 3 hours TV and they will still have about 8 hrs of sleep.

Also there aren't that many European *A that flies to Australia - so it's a good move for TK IMO.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Is this IST-SYD non-stop flight still in the works?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:06 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Is this IST-SYD non-stop flight still in the works?
I doubt it, but with oil prices going down (for now) all the time who knows
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by CAlex
Might be doable, but is it feasible? The price will not be cheap, and with the recent QF+EK relationship, you can get from Europe to Australia with just one stop in Dubai. How many would prefer a short stop in IST and then a ultra-long flight to Australia, for a possible hefty 20-30% price premium? Fuel is not getting any cheaper...
Muahahahaha

Ahem...sorry but I had to laugh.

Gotta love received wisdom.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:42 am
TPJ

Yet another discussion about TK flyin to AU I would be surprised if the project materializes, but if it does I wouldn't mind traveling to SYD with TK. I regularly spend 17 hours on TK B777 flying to EZE (13 hours to GRU, about 2 hours on the ground with no option to leave the aircraft plus 2 more hours to EZE).
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
That would be a real game changer, rather than the rumoured LHRPER.
One stop hop from a myriad of small regional airports around Europe directly to the Oz East coast, bypassing altogether the ugly ME3 stop.
After years feasibility, and profitability, is still a question mark though.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:07 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Given all the local turmoil I can't see TK opening up this route any time soon. But then again you never know how the TK minds work...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:27 am
TPJ

I wonder when/if this route starts they will still keep the award requirements at the same levels - for now EU-AU is fairly cheap - 105k miles for a RT award in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.