Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK CIP Lounge @ SAW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
TK CIP Lounge @ SAW

Hi, I am very tempted by the low prices on this route but I have a few questions.

The fares book into W class, will this earn anything for a TK Elite?

Is there a lounge at either LGW or SAW and if so what are they like?

I have only ever used IST before so how easy it is to get into town from SAW.

Do TK offer upgrades for miles or cash? The aircraft is a Boeing 738 so not sure if it would be worth it even if the do!

This would be a leisure trip in winter so any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Lounge @ SAW?

Flying TK to LGW soon. Are there *G-access lounge facilities at SAW?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: *G
I think they just have a standard TK CIP lounge.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
lounge access at Istanbul Gabiha

I know there is a TK lounge at SAW. However, it's not listed under the Star Alliance website. Anyone with *G status ever been able to gain access there?
Old May 11, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AC SE
lounge access at Istanbul Gabiha

Yes two weeks ago no booze and need a cellphone with signal to get access to wifi (code via text msg)
Old May 27, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Need to double check, for E or E+, flying domestic (ie SAW-VAN), would I have access to TK's CIP lounge flying economy? Same question for flying Anadolujet? I know other *G would not have access to those.

edit: Never mind, found the answer. In fact, all domestic CIP lounges (where available) are accessible to Classic Plus, Elite, and Elite Plus when they fly TK or AnadoluJet metal, but not other Star Alliance Gold. Without any status, you may also purchase a lounge pass for additional 50TL during booking from Anadolujet.com (for some reason this option doesn't show up on thy.com)

Last edited by vincewy; Jun 1, 2013 at 11:13 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
LGW Lounge

TK use the No1 Lounge at LGW. Don't bother. It's like a bus station waiting room!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:36 am

Is there a Turkish/Star Alliance lounge at SAW/Goksen Airport? Searched the forum but didn't see any mention of one...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Is there a Turkish/Star Alliance lounge at SAW/Goksen Airport? Searched the forum but didn't see any mention of one...
Yes, but it's nothing like the IST lounge:
http://www.sabihagokcen.aero/passeng...ounges/thy-cip

SAW is a small airport; there's a food court on the upper floor, and I found the cafe (was it Starbucks?) to be a nice place to spend an hour in during a recent connection. Inexpensive drinks and snacks, comfortable chairs and sofas, and electricity socket (but no free wifi). It was very peaceful when I was there. The lounge didn't look much nicer.

Shuly
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
SAW had a nice quiet uncrowded lounge until TK expanded there. Now it's even more
Crowded than the IST lounge but with worse food.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:59 am

Thanks guys! Not sure how I missed this thread.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Lost all status due to flying less to tackle the climate emergency
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
TK use the No1 Lounge at LGW. Don't bother. It's like a bus station waiting room!
It can be okay, I've been to worse. I think you get one small meal for free with your entry, which they don't advertise particularly obviously, so ask at the bar.

Remember to get a lounge card at check in for this one if you are *G btw. . .I've made that mistake before!

EDIT: with upgrading. . .might have changed now, but this route use to have blocked seat business quite a bit. So I'd be cautious about upgrading.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYTA
SAW had a nice quiet uncrowded lounge until TK expanded there. Now it's even more
Crowded than the IST lounge but with worse food.
The lounge at SAW isn't worth visiting. It took me ages to find it and when I did, I took one look and left. Full of kids with toys and prams everywhere, seats covered with coats, bags, carry ons etc., poor food choice. Agree the lounge at IST is in a different league and not always packed. I was there last week and it was virtually empty. Great salad bar and even better dessert area.

All in all, I have found SAW to be a crap airport. Unfriendly staff and packed to the gills with LCCs - it's like Luton on the Bosphorus.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
it's like Luton on the Bosphorus.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Update - I just flew TK through SAW and they built a beautiful TK only lounge in the style of the IST lounge, but smaller. Nice bathrooms with showers, pide baker, salads, olive bar, pool table, TV lounge, luggage lockers, etc. but really uncrowded. Sadly, they did not have any desserts and they did not have the grilled meat, the cheese or pasta stations that they have at IST. (even the crappy priority pass lounge across the hall has cakes). That said, it's a huge improvement over the prior lounge if only because it's 3x the size with 1/4 of the pax.

Furthermore, for my international transfer inbound from MUC, I didn't have to go through security again at SAW which was always the worst part about transferring there. It was like a domestic EU or USA transfer right up the jetway and a few hundred meters down the hall to the lounge - really enjoyable experience overall. Now if they'd just get cakes and grilled meat then there's no reason for me to change in IST with all the chaos there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.